Zodiac:
United States of America

Rim cleaning...the uncut version

Post by Scott Rollert »

Rim Cleaning and Restoration
By Scott Rollert RB# 126
DSC00396.jpg
DSC00407.jpg
Cleaning and restoring beer can rims can help an off grade can display better on your shelf. I use a three step process to clean up the rims. The tools involved are a bench grinder, a motorized hand tool (Dremel), and a rust remover called Exrust.

Step 1. I take the can and use the bench grinder to remove the majority of the rust from the rims. This also smoothes the metal and reduces the size of any pits in the metal.
DSC00398.jpg
Step 2. This is where I use the Dremel. Hold the disc at a right angle to the rim and start around the rim in a back and forth motion. Use maximum RPM on the Dremel. I recommend getting the disc kit (pictured) at a local home improvement warehouse. It was $12 and has every disc imaginable along with a mandrel for the Dremel. Another tip is to cover the can with a protective wrap if you’re worried about scratching the label.
DSC00399.jpg
DSC00400.jpg
Step 3. I then put the rim in a solution of Exrust to dull the cleaned metal. Exrust is an industrial rust remover (available at Kanolabs.com). Mix the Exrust 50/50 with water for best results. I don’t recommend using it for can soaking, but it does work well as a spot cleaner and loosens up barnacles. As you can see, I set the can in a plastic lid with just enough solution to cover the rim. The plastic lid is from a yogurt container. Let the rim soak for 2-4 minutes, rinse with water, then wipe dry with a paper towel. This dulls the metal to look more like the “powder” coating used on the lids, especially cans from the 1930’s to 1950’s. Sometimes I might use a medium grit emery cloth as a final step, depending on how the rim looks.
DSC00406.jpg
One thing I haven’t tried yet is coloring the metal to match copper or gold lids. If any of you guys have tips on this, let’s hear from you.

The federal tax code is 10 times bigger than the Bible with none of the good news
Brewed in the Heart of the Snowclad Rockies
Looking for Lucky Lager with the date 2-3-58. Will trade heavy for one...
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 19442
eBay name: michaelsheehan29
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
Italy

Re: Rim cleaning...the uncut version

Post by MikeS29 »

Color for copper might be achieved with some type of anodize... I remember working on airplane components that every so often metal was left in anodize too long and came out a nice coppery color. I don't remember if this was on ferrous metal or not. :smt017
GoldenWest
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 25019
Year Started Collecting: 1981
Brazil

Re: Rim cleaning...the uncut version

Post by GoldenWest »

The wire wheel on your bench grinder seems easier with perhaps a spot touch on the grinding wheel for heavier troubled spots. Not all rims need to be grinded to be cleaned.

Wire wheel usually leaves rim cleaned and already dulled a bit which prevents the rims from being too shiny on a dumper.

If you need them shinier for really clean dumpers, a quick go round with fine grit sandpaper will finish it off with a nice shine.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Can Repair”