Clear Coat vs Wax

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

bigcitydave
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 869
BCCA Number: 8920
eBay name: bigcitydave
Year Started Collecting: 1973
United States of America

Clear Coat vs Wax

Post by bigcitydave »

How can you positively tell if a can is clear coated or waxed. Does clear coat devalue a can?

OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Re: Clear Coat vs Wax

Post by OhioCanGuy »

In my opinion, and experience...

Clear coat shows as shinier than normal. An extra sheen not normal to a can. Usually, there is a spot or two on the can where it is thicker as if something dripped on the can. In my experience, I seem to see more cones clear coated than flats/tabs. Also, IMHO, clear coat does devalue a can. The pool of buyers for a clear coated can is smaller, so on average they would tend to bring less. Especially if the coating is thick. Then again, if it was clear coated many years ago (which is probably the case), perhaps the can has survived in better condition than it would have otherwise.

It is common to see waxed cans that still have wax residue along the edges of the lids. Very obvious. Also, waxed cans often feel "waxy". Like you are holding a thick candle. I've used wax on a very limited basis. It is very good at removing dark grime that otherwise doesn't seem to want to come off. I clean all my cans with WD-40. WD-40 seems to more or less melt the residual wax and returns the can to it's normal feel. Just cleaner. As long as someone didn't wax the thing to death (think rub out), it can be a positive. Again, IMHO, a waxed can would not have a diminished value.

Other opinions may vary...
Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
bigcitydave
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 869
BCCA Number: 8920
eBay name: bigcitydave
Year Started Collecting: 1973
United States of America

Re: Clear Coat vs Wax

Post by bigcitydave »

Thanks Bob. Appreciate the detailed info.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”