Beer Wars or Hard Times?

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Beer Wars or Hard Times?

Post by MI-Cans »

Found this in the local Meijer weekly ad. Bud & Bud Light @ 14.5 cents per can! Coors & Coors Light @ 56.2 cents per can!

Earlier this year, Labatt was offering $5 and $7 rebates on 24 packs of cans. I stocked up. At the same time, I saw one store charging as much as $24.99 per case of 24 cans back then.

These companies all own craft brands they've been snapping up over the years. Is it a sign that the craft beer craze is putting a serious dent into the national brand sales?

Click to enlarge.

BIG BEER.png

(MI-Cans)

jimw630
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 7603
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Re: Beer Wars or Hard Times?

Post by jimw630 »

My guess is a promotion for the grocers with the Memorial Day Holiday approaching
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Australia

Post by menke »

My sense is that the craft brands that have been co-opted by the big boys are more or less fooling the public successfully. No way to know if the beer would have evolved differently without corporate overlords looking over their shoulders, though.

I did a little dance the other day when I read Flying Dog is leaving Maryland. Best wishes to FX Matt, I hope they do well with it. Flying Dog was one of those carpetbagger companies trying to dodge western water shortages and be faux-local in a new, wealthy area. They gobbled up a local startup from the early nineties that was once fabulous but also ambitious and mentally ill. The plant itself was just snakebit, though, and hopefully Thomas' English Muffins across the road will just buy it and bulldoze everything but the silos.

Other brands bought by the big boys have tanked- Rolling Rock is a prime example.

I think the bloodier fight is the international corporations beating each other up. People will always drink cheap swill and they don't seem to care where it comes from. Ron from Victory once told me that the US beer market is actually about a quarter the size of what they say it is, when you consider that most of it is essentially alcoholic soda water. Fair point. And only an international conglomerate would care what happens in the alcoholic soda water category.
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Australia

Post by menke »

Quite a laundry list of shortcomings when you read down further!

https://thedailyrecord.com/2023/05/23/d ... perts-say/
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use
Year Started Collecting: 1974

Post by Scott »

Bud Light's sales are down significantly for well documented reasons I don't need to go into here (nor does anybody else - tread lightly folks). They may have a lot of beer on hand that is reaching its expiration date. Better from their perspective to sell it cheap rather than dump it completely. Coors Light may be discounting their beer in an effort to syphon off market share from people who are no longer purchasing Bud products.
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

Scott wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:57 pm Bud Light's sales are down significantly for well documented reasons I don't need to go into here (nor does anybody else - tread lightly folks). They may have a lot of beer on hand that is reaching its expiration date. Better from their perspective to sell it cheap rather than dump it completely. Coors Light may be discounting their beer in an effort to syphon off market share from people who are no longer purchasing Bud products.
You are correct. Budweiser losses because of the "transgender" can are over a BILLION. My boss was on the BOD of Better Brands (Myrtle Beach Bud Distributor) until it sold in December. He is still close to the people still there. All distributorships order their beer MONTHS in advance. The sales of Bud Light have fallen off terribly but the deliveries keep pouring in. 3/4 of the Myrtle Beach distributorship is overloaded with Bud Light and won't be sold before it goes out of date. The people that bought the MB distributorship have already offered to sell it back for over 200 million LESS than they paid for it just 6 months ago! What does that tell you!
Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
Summitcan
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 894
BCCA Number: 29714
eBay name: Summitcan.573
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
Christmas Island

Post by Summitcan »

Redneck women ( and there’s millions of them ) probably drink a couple 12 packs of bud light a week .. Not good marketing strategy
To me it makes Goog Goog sense !
josh
Thread Killer
Thread Killer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 357
BCCA Number: 0
Mexico

Post by josh »

At three and a half bucks a case I'd buy it all. I have no issue with the tranny on the canny...
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Australia

Post by menke »

The funny part is they're whining that the only businesses really being hurt are the "mom and pop" local distributors. Let's back up a step...

Those distributors have been riding Superbeer's cape for decades, making stupid profits at the expense of all the competition and all the American drinkers. They've stepped on EVERYONE in the business the entire time, so I imagine it doesn't feel fair to them for the parent megacorp to have upset their own market for once. Sorry not sorry.

And there are no mom and pop distributors. They're all sleazy profit-driven cretins who deserve no sympathy. They've been the most profitable businesses around, at least until the banana republic Eurotrash took over, and are now being welcomed back into the pack. Drink your values, whatever they may be, by all means! They simply stand for nothing at this point, to anyone but their own shareholders.
kb
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 600
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: kb.1
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by kb »

Always love a good Menke read on threads !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kb

go FishN... Toast to Max..
HDbeerman
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 979
BCCA Number: 5075
eBay name: HDbeerman
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by HDbeerman »

menke wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:41 pm The funny part is they're whining that the only businesses really being hurt are the "mom and pop" local distributors. Let's back up a step...

Those distributors have been riding Superbeer's cape for decades, making stupid profits at the expense of all the competition and all the American drinkers. They've stepped on EVERYONE in the business the entire time, so I imagine it doesn't feel fair to them for the parent megacorp to have upset their own market for once. Sorry not sorry.

And there are no mom and pop distributors. They're all sleazy profit-driven cretins who deserve no sympathy. They've been the most profitable businesses around, at least until the banana republic Eurotrash took over, and are now being welcomed back into the pack. Drink your values[/color], whatever they may be, by all means! They simply stand for nothing at this point, to anyone but their own shareholders.
"Drink your values".

I love it!
Chicago & Virginia cans wanted!!!!
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Australia

Post by menke »

Best comment I've seen so far, from a news thread today:

Bud Light's pronouns are was/were
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”