MALT (LIQUOR, LAGER, STOUT, et al)

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

baartz
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 991
BCCA Number: 22344
eBay name: NVchristian
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: MALT (LIQOUR, LAGER, STOUT, et al)

Post by baartz »

MI-Cans wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:11 am @baartz
baartz wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:18 am Wellington has two variations. Look at the font size of the words "Brewed and Canned By" on these two cans. The first is by Continental Can and the second is by American Can.
Brian, My first impression is that the coloring and the fonts on the right side can are all bold and darker. The fonts on the left can are not bold, giving the possible impression of being smaller. Maybe an ink-saving process by the other can company? An obvious variation. Collectible? Up to the owner of the can.

Just my opinion.

(MI-Cans)
Look how the "Brewed and Canned By" wording lines up the "The Walter Brewing Company" wording below it. One is obviously smaller than the other. It's a different font size.

Brian Artzberger #22344
http://www.artzberger.com/BeerCans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Collector of 12 oz or smaller US cans
Servant of Jesus, John 3:16, 14:6
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Re: MALT (LIQUOR, LAGER, STOUT, et al)

Post by MI-Cans »

GATHERING.png

The above chart shows that a search of Volume I required 10 different searches that netted 716 results. After sorting and arranging, a total of 255 cans made the final total in my 4 categories. That was a lot of duplication by the searches!

The above chart also shows that a search of Volume II required 17 different searches that netted 760 results. After sorting and arranging, a total of 744 cans made the final total in my 4 categories. That was a lot of unnecessary searching.

OK…now...

First, the two cans I posted that I couldn’t determine what category they belonged to, I’ve made a choice. If anyone comes up with contrary data, I’ll be glad to revise the images. I compared them to their duplicate flat top versions in Supplement I. The flat tops definitely indicate no alcohol. The Tab versions are identical in design, coloring and by the same brewer. I therefore placed them in the NO-ALCOHOL group.

Next, I removed cans that were miss-identified in the Supplement but were really just beer. I added any cans that were contributed to my post. They’re all identified with “TBD NOT IN SUPPLEMENT”. There are a couple cans in the Supplement that have the wrong image for the front face. Those are also identified as such in the collages.

Next, the naming of the type of brew included a litany of descriptions: CEREAL BEV, M BEVERAGE, MALT, MALT BEV, MALT BEVERAGE, MALT TONIC, MALTA, MBEV, MTONIC, N BEER, N/A, NEAR and NEAR BEER. Somewhere on the can, they all had one of these or a similar statement:

• NON-TAXABLE AS FERMENTED LIQUOR UNDER FEDERAL LAW
• NON-TAXABLE UNDER SECTION5051 I.R.C. (I think that is Internal Revenue Code)
• NON-ALCOHOLIC
• ALCOHOL CONTENT LESS THAN ONE-HALF OF ONE % BY VOLUME

So, to facilitate the groupings, I lumped all 13 of the above into a single category…NO ALCOHOL! That makes 4 categories for each Supplement. They are Malt Lager, Malt Liquor, Stout Malt Liquor and No Alcohol.

The New Cans Database (NCD) has its own set of rules, functions and guidelines so I just gathered two groups, MALT LIQUOR and NO ALCOHOL. They are what they are. They will never assimilate with the Supplements. I Explained previously that I took the liberty of renaming some in order to keep same brands together.

I’ve thought about and I will just gut the first post and replace everything. This time I’m separating the Supplements but not the sizes. Each group will have all sizes that exist in that category. And remember that each of the databases are a work in progress.

I thank everyone for their patience, support and contributions. As always, I hope this is something that some of you can find useful.

AS OF TODAY, 11-30-2022, ALL IMAGES IN POST #1 OF THIS THREAD HAVE BEEN UPDATED. THANK YOU.

(MI-Cans)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”