NASCAR Pick-A-Winner 2019 Season

Moderators: Current Officers, Previous Officers

eric
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Answers: 0

Re: Richmond Raceway - Federated Auto Parts 400 - Saturday, Sep 21

Post by eric »

If we hid the picks until after the green flag, you wouldn’t need to change your pick so that it doesn’t look like your picking the same driver on purpose......not sure if that sentence makes sense. Probably a good idea all the way around.
That's true. I'd have no problem with hiding them either, as long as it was easy to tell if your pick is actually in for the week. But you may lose some of the pre-race banter.

Beverlx
RB Treasurer
RB Treasurer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 677
BCCA Number: 18483
eBay name: beverlx
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Beverlx »

I'm in favor of pick hiding as long as the player (and in the Rusty Bunch, baby, we're all playas) still can see and change their pick up to the green flag dropping. I routinely drop a pick in as soon as the race thread opens, then re-evaluate once practice and qualifying has happened. I probably change half my picks. I wouldn't want to lose that.

I recognize there's some gamesmanship to be had late in the season between the top couple contestants -- eric alludes to it above. I changed a pick late in last year's Chase (last year I didn't suck, unlike this year) that wpeters saw and then changed his, as we were fighting for position at the moment. But the instances where this would be meaningful are few and far between, and just like a pass on the track, the follower can game the situation just as easily as the leader can. There are a couple of guys who have emailed picks to Kamsquared this year. I don't think it's broke, so there's nothing to fix. But the hidden picks might be fun to try out.

"Copying picks" doesn't seem like a threat at all. This pick'em has gone since 2014 and I haven't overheard a single complaint about it. It doesn't even seem dishonorable to me: "I'm a newbie, don't know what to do this week, but the leader picked Chase Elliott, so what the hell...."; it'll either work or it won't.

The next Ryan Blaney Apocalypse is always right around turn 1.
kamsquared
RB Supply Organizer
RB Supply Organizer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 861
BCCA Number: 31804
eBay name: kamsquared
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:
Finland

Post by kamsquared »

Beverlx wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:45 amThe next Ryan Blaney Apocalypse is always right around turn 1.
Classic......and true.
Kamsquared
"I have your car towed all the way to your house and all you've got for me is *Lite* beer?"
Biff Tannen (Back To The Future)
Alaska Chris
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 662
BCCA Number: 30930
eBay name: yukonpokey
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Alaska Chris »

I have never picked a driver because of who somebody else picked. I have my driver picked before I ever login to rusty bunch. DO NOT change your pick or..... the driver you let go will surely win. I also tape the race because I can not watch them live.....I also make a list of everybodies picks before watching the race. This way for example - if kamsquared picks kyle busch and after 20 laps he blows a front tire and crashes into the wall...I might chuckle to myself and hoot and holler a little.....It just makes the race that more exciting because you are not only watching your own guy race. So I don't know if I would be for not posting picks unless kamsquared posted them right after the green flag flew.
Until next time, may your totes always be full of cans and your past and future dumping trips be in your dreams at night.
kamsquared
RB Supply Organizer
RB Supply Organizer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 861
BCCA Number: 31804
eBay name: kamsquared
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:
Finland

Post by kamsquared »

I also haven't changed my pick because of someone else's pick..... I usually do it just to sabotage myself.

Good points made by all. Maybe we'll do a vote before the start of the next season. I'm kind of leaning towards the "It ain't broke so don't fix it".
Kamsquared
"I have your car towed all the way to your house and all you've got for me is *Lite* beer?"
Biff Tannen (Back To The Future)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “PaW 2019 Edition”