Moonlight Graham

Use this forum to discuss other items not related to Beer Cans and Dumping.

Moderators: Current Officers, Previous Officers

stringsx24now
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 309
BCCA Number: 26795
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Moonlight Graham

Post by stringsx24now »

One of the best sports movies ever made--Field of Dreams--has a character based on a real-life person: Moonlight Graham. He played one inning of Major League Baseball back in the early 1900's, and never got to have a chance to hit. He then left the game and became a doctor, living and practicing in northern Minnesota. About 10 years ago or so I learned that Moonlight was buried in the city I reside in, Rochester, which is in the southeastern part of the state. His ties to the community were thin.
The past Memorial Day the wife and I were checking out cemeteries for some graves of relatives when I remembered I wanted to see if I could find his gravesite. We knew which cemetery he was buiried in, and he was relatively easy to find. As you can see, his grave seems to be regularly visited by baseball fans.
20210531_172753.jpg
20210531_172812.jpg

While most people come to Rochester for Mayo Clinic, if you ever do visit or pass on by you have two things you can do: check out Moonlight Graham and view my collection.

collector of Sick's Select, Senate, and Congress cans and breweriana; beer bags; as well as other fun stuff
Looking for Schuster Brewing of Rochester, MN items and Meyer Brewing of Bloomington, IL

Shows attended in 2024:
LaCrosse, WI show, January
Freeze Your Can, St. Paul, MN, February
North Star Spring show, Bloomington, MN, March

Collections seen in 2024:
hemmings
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 29000
eBay name: rareamerica
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Re: Moonlight Graham

Post by hemmings »

White Sox vs Yankees on the movie field August 12th!!!!

https://www.mlb.com/news/field-of-dream ... s-and-faqs
Interested in breweriana with Native American images or language of all kinds.
Beercanpete
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 3
BCCA Number: 15082
eBay name: beercanpete
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:

Re: Moonlight Graham

Post by Beercanpete »

One of the things I've always thought was interesting about the real-life Moonlight Graham, and something I've never seen anyone really comment on much, is that his one game was for the 1905 NY Giants, who are only one of the most famous teams of all time. A center fielder who today would be all over Twitter or something (Mike Donlin), a left fielder who may have been the strongest man in the game at the time (Sam Mertes), a first baseman who would be dead from suicide in five years (Dan McGann), Iron Man Joe McGinnity, maybe the biggest umpire-battler in the game at the time (Roger Breshnahan), one of the ten greatest pitchers ever (Christy Mathewson) ... this team not only won the World Series and went 105-48 I think, but they had a lot of characters, Moonlight Graham or not!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Interests”