Off Topic...So Moving Here...

Use this forum to discuss other items not related to Beer Cans and Dumping.

Moderators: Current Officers, Previous Officers

MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Off Topic...So Moving Here...

Post by MI-Cans »

This post is getting off topic - https://www.therustybunch.com/phpBB3/vi ... =1&t=51521

@kb
kb wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:34 am In last 5 weekends put 6,200 miles on my gas F150! 2 trips to ADKs ( dumping cans !) 2 weeks in FLA ( dumping gennys down my sun burnt body with some fish !) to oneonta 1.5 times ( kids grad school Thesis presentation and then back for his grad school graduation ! ) filled up fishing boat last week 60gallons and tmrw launch the big boat and put lots and lots and lots and lots of gas in .. been a good stretch and gonna relax now in the 716 !
Oh I’ve spent some dumb money on some Genny cans with these auctions and think I’m done for a while .. need to finish up some can cleaning and hit the waters .. wonder if I had this f150 how I would be ..

This quote is from the AutoTrader website - https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping ... ric-trucks

Electric trucks are coming and some are less than a year away. Ready to hit in the very near future are the Ford F-150 Lightning, Hummer EV and Tesla Cybertruck.

Here’s something to keep in mind when you see promises of fully electric trucks that can tow a billion pounds and deliver a 1,000-mile range. Some healthy skepticism is probably a good thing here. The likely candidates for building a successful all-electric pickup or full-size SUV are those companies who have already been building trucks for a long time. It’s a much more reasonable proposition to use existing research, development, manufacturing, and sales resources to build an electric truck than it is to spool all that up from scratch.

Shoppers who plan to use their electric truck to frequently tow a trailer should also investigate the truck’s range. 250 – 300 mile ranges are common in electric cars today but towing a heavy trailer or hauling a huge load will reduce that significantly. Expect the towing range of an electric truck to be reduced by one-third to one-half the stated range of an unloaded electric truck.

Simple common sense. Any electric motor will perform at max until load is applied. Add a load and battery life as well as performance is reduced.

Ironic that the manufacturers are pushing EV's with gas prices being what they are.

Use the vehicle every day and you may have to charge it every day or every couple of days. Personally, I'd invest in solar panels for the garage. Then there's always the need to charge when you get to that 250-300 mile destination. Will there be charging stations or do you plug it in to a domestic site and pay for the electric service?

There's a lot to think about and plenty of research to do...

(MI-Cans)

Monster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1108
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
Poland

Re: Off Topic...So Moving Here...

Post by Monster »

MI-Cans wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:08 pm

Simple common sense. Any electric motor will perform at max until load is applied. Add a load and battery life as well as performance is reduced.

(MI-Cans)
Bingo!

We got ourselves some e-bikes. They are most powerful legally permitted around here on the roads and trails without licensing. The claim is that they can and will get about 60 miles per full charge, with assistance. That claim is true for my wife (her weight shall remain a mystery here) however for my 228 lbs, the best I see is about 45-50 miles with my assistance. So yeah, you nailed it. They're 750 watt beasts that can go 26 mph unassisted. They have a digital setting limiter to keep them legal for the roads but I have no doubt that they could easily top 28 mph on the flat.

Also, I can highly recommend a fatty e-bike for off road, backwoods adventuring. I can tow a trailer with mine that can carry 130 lbs. Fully loaded like that I'm still seeing about 35-40 miles per charge. I carry a Jackery 1000w and two panels if I think I'm gonna drain the battery down. That only adds/subtracts about 35 lbs to/from the payload.

The locations I see in the dumping threads are begging the question for an e-bike.
kb
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 600
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: kb.1
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by kb »

I think there’s a place for EVs , my wife wants to trade her car in and I say get a EV as her little sedan is basically used to drive and work and not much more, it’s been paid for a couple years and less than a 90,000 miles .. keeps saying give it to one of the kids .. just can’t find what she wants for a EV .. we use my truck for most everything, still owe on it , warranty got me a new transmission , i Dotn want to make a move as it’s out of my ball park .. just don’t like each sides angles on all the green energy deals - soem are needed and legit some have there issues .. so I am stuck with my truck and boats that need gas I guess .. e bikes are cool , my one son is looking to get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kb

go FishN... Toast to Max..
jssiintl
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 951
BCCA Number: 28054
Year Started Collecting: 1973

Post by jssiintl »

Well, as an EV owner I can say that I don't tow anything heavier than bags of mulch from Home Depot. But around town I get pretty close to the stated range. Flying down the interstate at 80 or so, I get about a 25-30% range penalty depending on weather conditions. I have a 240v plug outside my garage, and I charge up when I need to- I can go two weeks between charges sometimes, as charging is more efficient when the battery is low.

I have a gas car too, and I'll be trading it in for an EV when there's more choices and prices settle down. I'll never buy another gas car again. And it has nothing to do with gas prices; when we got our current EV gas was $2.25 a gallon. Once you get behind the wheel of an electric there's no going back. They handle better due to low center of gravity. There's virtually no maintenance outside of tires and wipers. With one-pedal driving, I almost never use the brakes, so they'll last forever. My car improves with over-the-air updates; no gas car does that.

I'm not a pickup guy, but in addition to the F-150 Lightning, Chevy's coming out with an electric Silverado and Ram will have an electric too in a few years. So they're coming, and the technology in batteries is getting better by leaps and bounds every year. A truck with 1000 mile range that charges up in a few minutes sounds like a fantasy, but a 300 mile range seemed like a fantasy a few years ago and it's real today.

In a few years electrics will be cheaper than gas models. They're much simpler, and automakers like simple. They'll add on all the doodads like they do today, of course, looking to jack up the price. But economics will drive things. If a truck has the same range and towing power, is faster, can power your house in an emergency, AND costs less, it's going to sell like hotcakes. Simple economics. That day isn't here yet, but within a few years it will be.
storzman
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 30148
eBay name: storzman
Year Started Collecting: 1969
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by storzman »

got an electric lawnmower when mine crapped out a few months ago - I love it - light weight and very quiet. Made by Skil. uses about 1/2 of the battery to mow - I don't have a small yard - maybe 1/10th acre at most
Collector of Nebraska cans and breweriana, Colorado cans, tall straight steel US cans, and cans I like!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Interests”