Forum Moderator
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1078
Year Started Collecting: 1987
Zodiac:
Canada

Brent Gardner's soda can collection 1975

Post by Canadacan »

Happened across this old clip while searching today, dated 12 Jan 1975, Jefferson City, Missouri. I wonder if anyone here knew of him?
Jefferson-City-News-And-Tribune-January,12-1975-p-25.jpeg
Jefferson-City-News-And-Tribune-January,12-1975-p-25 (1).jpeg

Ivan... RB #1078 Collector of soda cans & bottles from Canada. Looking for Canadian soada cans 12oz & 10oz From the 1950s right into the 80s.
Also Canadian Beers ,USA Orange Crush bottles And American Drewrys beer cans.
canscards
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1174
BCCA Number: 30272
eBay name: canscards
Year Started Collecting: 1997
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Brent Gardner's soda can collection 1975

Post by canscards »

This is super cool!! Thanks for sharing with us. I have been an soda can collector since 2003 and loved it ever since.
I constantly wander who were some of the "original" soda can collectors and when did they start???
To start the potential conversation, I know Dave Tanner has been collecting since the mid 1970's and I think Bruce Mobley did collect back then as well. There is also Betty Toeffle(sp?)r and Annie Ewal( sp? as well as the two Bates brothers( Paul and ?). I think I have all the books that exist documenting and listing old soda cans but I am not sure?? I am not sure when Brent Alexander started nor Luis Heying started. Jeff Lebo had a nice collection years ago and so did Lance Meade - but not sure when they started either. Perhaps Gene Judd collected back then or maybe Bill Miller?
I am at a total loss of non US soda can collectors so it would be neat to see how the rest of the world got into this cool hobby.
Marc Austin, mmfaustin@gmail.com
Beercanpete
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 3
BCCA Number: 15082
eBay name: beercanpete
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:

Post by Beercanpete »

Back in 1973, my brother was dating someone who collected beer cans and her sister collected soda cans (!). I was 10 years old and was saving all the aluminum cans I could find on my bike so I could sell them back to the recycler for 10 cents a pound. I figured at the time I could save one of each of the beer cans and it wouldn't hurt. Still at it 48 years later ... it wasn't too many years later I started saving sodas too. I know for sure I was keeping Nehi Happy Days cans when they were out in 1977. Sodas were always a bit of a side collection to me, but I have been at it for about 45 years and now have maybe 5000 sodas!

That's a great article about Brent Gardner, got to love those pants!!
hastabeshasta
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 347
eBay name: hastabeshasta
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by hastabeshasta »

canscards wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:39 pm This is super cool!! Thanks for sharing with us. I have been an soda can collector since 2003 and loved it ever since.
I constantly wander who were some of the "original" soda can collectors and when did they start???
To start the potential conversation, I know Dave Tanner has been collecting since the mid 1970's and I think Bruce Mobley did collect back then as well. There is also Betty Toeffle(sp?)r and Annie Ewal( sp? as well as the two Bates brothers( Paul and ?). I think I have all the books that exist documenting and listing old soda cans but I am not sure?? I am not sure when Brent Alexander started nor Luis Heying started. Jeff Lebo had a nice collection years ago and so did Lance Meade - but not sure when they started either. Perhaps Gene Judd collected back then or maybe Bill Miller?
I am at a total loss of non US soda can collectors so it would be neat to see how the rest of the world got into this cool hobby.
Marc Austin, mmfaustin@gmail.com
I started collecting cans in general back in 1976, mainly beer but I did have a side collection of soda cans too. I have a Membership list from a early edition of the NPCC Can o Gram that shows Gene Judd, John Hantz, Ann Ewell, Paul Rebner, Fred Bogdan and Warren Hardacker along with 25 or so other early members. I wasn't a member of the NPCC until the late 1990's.

Lance
Most wanted can finally found!
usasoda
Pull Tab
Pull Tab
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 26105
Year Started Collecting: 1970
United States of America

Post by usasoda »

My daughters started collecting soda cans in 1970. They came home from school and said they needed to collect beer cans because all the boys were. They settled on soda cans and we couldn't go anywhere without them checking out grocery stores for can. After about three years they quit but I was hooked and I continue the family collection. About 80% of the collection is online at usasoda.com
I know and have traded with most of the collectors listed above.
Marc, Tom Bates is Paul's son and he still collects and I talk to him on facebook.
canscards
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1174
BCCA Number: 30272
eBay name: canscards
Year Started Collecting: 1997
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by canscards »

Awesome!! What a great story and glad Paul Bates is still collecting.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Soda/Pop Can Collecting”