Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 309
BCCA Number: 26795
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Canvention question--new topic

Post by stringsx24now »

I am hoping one of our regular posters who is connected to the convention planning or bcca organization can answer this question:
I see that the magazine article states that there is a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and back, but on my hotel confirmation email, there is information that there is "a hotel shuttle for a nominal fee".
Will someone in the know clarify this for us? How much, if there is a fee, is it going to be? Is it waived for our convention?
Secondly, I looked, but saw no reference, though I may have just missed it: parking fee at the hotel???? Amount please?
These questions are tied together as they will determine when we rent a car while we are out there, as we are going to be there extra days, but don't necessarily need the car Thursday-Sat.
Thank you for any information, and we are looking forward to Portland.
My next task is to see what/how much breweriana I can fit inside a suitcase besides my clothes. I have a feeling I will be mostly paper items and some cans this trip--no glasses, glass display cases, other breakable items. Luckily I am the bag man! I always have several beer bags available.....

collector of Sick's Select, Senate, and Congress cans and breweriana; beer bags; as well as other fun stuff
Looking for Schuster Brewing of Rochester, MN items and Meyer Brewing of Bloomington, IL

Shows attended in 2024:
LaCrosse, WI show, January
Freeze Your Can, St. Paul, MN, February
North Star Spring show, Bloomington, MN, March

Collections seen in 2024:
Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use
Year Started Collecting: 1974

Re: Canvention question--new topic

Post by Scott »

Parking at the hotel is free. I know this for a fact as I have attended professional conferences there in the past. They don't have a garage but there is a large surface lot out front.

If you plan on doing things outside of the hotel a rental car would be useful. There is public transit but the site is not well served and it involves multiple transfers. You have to take a bus a mile or so to the light rail and then catch that to go elsewhere. If you want to go downtown you can be there in 10-15 minutes if you drive (and it's not rush hour) but it will probably take over an hour on transit. There is plenty of parking downtown BTW for a couple bucks an hour. There are also numerous restaurants and shops around the hotel but many are probably a little further than you would like to walk.
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
Mike Wilbur
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: acmerainier
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Mike Wilbur »

All good questions. I've been lurking on the site a bit lately. My only real canvention question is, from the time I park my truck, how quickly will I be able to have a beer in my hand? I'm hoping for an answer of 4 minutes or less. Is that realistic? -Mike
aussieguinnessman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 898
BCCA Number: 30861
eBay name: oncall1594
Year Started Collecting: 1981
Australia

Post by aussieguinnessman »

Mike Wilbur wrote:All good questions. I've been lurking on the site a bit lately. My only real canvention question is, from the time I park my truck, how quickly will I be able to have a beer in my hand? I'm hoping for an answer of 4 minutes or less. Is that realistic? -Mike
This scenario is definitely achievable by people in the vehicle but statistics show that it is touch and go if you are the driver of the vehicle, the odds increase if you are one of the passengers.

By doing plenty of excessive research and on the ground testing of this topic over many years I find that it is much better to work it so that a co-pilot is actually doing the last shift of driving before arriving at the location of the cold beverages.

You can definitely shave a good 90 seconds off your "arrival time to beer in hand" scenario if you do not have to pull on the hand brake, turn off the ignition, remove the keys from the ignition, get out of the car and lock the car.

By the time you have to do those 5 actions a good co pilot will already have a frothy moustache from his first can!
Looking for any Guinness Items and any Continental Can Company items
Will be at 2024 BCCA CANvention in Little Rock.
RB #898
BCCA #30861
Echuca, Australia
mountainrust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 820
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Ireland

Post by mountainrust »

Just wait until you try to pump your own gas.
Canadacan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1078
Year Started Collecting: 1987
Zodiac:
Canada

Post by Canadacan »

mountainrust wrote:Just wait until you try to pump your own gas.
Oregon the only state that dose that?.... And they fill you up before you pay.
Ivan... RB #1078 Collector of soda cans & bottles from Canada. Looking for Canadian soada cans 12oz & 10oz From the 1950s right into the 80s.
Also Canadian Beers ,USA Orange Crush bottles And American Drewrys beer cans.
Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use

Post by Scott »

Every state has their quirky little laws. Yes you are not allowed to pump your own gas here. We also don't have sales tax. There is a mall close to the hotel that primarily caters to Washington residents across the river who want to avoid paying tax. If your wife is coming and gets bored be prepared for your credit card to take a hit. If you are into more adult forms of entertainment, we have some very relaxed rules in those areas as well. Weed is also legal if that's your thing and there are plenty of shops around. Just be sure to keep it behind closed doors and don't take it across state lines.
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
halfquart
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Number: 15584
eBay name: half-quart
Year Started Collecting: 1970
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by halfquart »

Yes, all of the parking is free. No covered parking garage, just a big open paved lot. I am working on an answer to the shuttle from the airport............
Attachments
15oz CV's.JPG
Shevy85Ale
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1071
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Shevy85Ale »

Yeah, NJ doesn't let you pump your own gas either. I pulled into a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike, I hopped out of the car and went to pump my gas and a guy came running across the tarmac and almost tackled me. He acted like I had burned the American flag and spit on a picture of Jesus. I tipped the guy $5 after he pumped my gas, just so he wouldn't bludgeon me to death. I can't figure it out. Like every other state has figured out pay at the pump, and self serve, and gas in NJ is cheaper than gas in DE and PA, so I'm not sure how they justify having to pay people to attend the pumps.
Mike Shevlin
Shevy85Ale
IGU #10!!
jinsequa
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1037
BCCA Number: 34154
eBay name: Jinsequa
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Canvention question--new topic

Post by jinsequa »

They justify it for 3 reasons:
1. The state fire marshal's office has consistently come out against it.
2. It frickin' rains all day and all night for 9 months straight and then doesnt rain at all in the summer. No one has to get out of the car and get wet.
3. It provides needed employment for those with no skills in a state that had a pretty high unemployment rate the last decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
halfquart
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Number: 15584
eBay name: half-quart
Year Started Collecting: 1970
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by halfquart »

Portland airport shuttle update:

When you get to the airport and you want to use the RL shuttle, call 503-283-4466 and request pickup. They only have 2 vans so you may have to wait for a shuttle to turn around.
Pickup is outside baggage claim island #2.
Mark
Hafa Adi ! - halfquart
GoldenWest
Rust Master
Rust Master
BCCA Number: 25019
Year Started Collecting: 1981
Brazil

Post by GoldenWest »

be adventurous and take the max / light rail, you get to see all of the homeless
camps along the rails and some other nice sights.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “CANvention 46 Info and Stuff”