Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

FBIR scarcity

Post by ConeAddict »

I just got back into collecting in the past year or so and probably like a lot of collectors was immediately interested in the early flat bottom cones. It seems like the Old Style, Blatz and Schlitz lager fbir's are abundant and easily available, not surprising as I think these were among the larger regional breweries who used cones and likely ran a lot of these in a short period. But I am surprised how hard it is to find some of the others. Rainier was also a relatively large brewery at the time and the other low profiles are abundant but I have seen very few even off grade examples on ebay and none on the various retail sites or shows I have been to. The book price is the same as the labels I mentioned above, is this a case where the book misjudged the amount of available examples? I am also surprised there that I don't see more Duquesne, Goetz, Beverwick, or Berghoff flat bottoms as again there are plenty of other cans from the late 30's available from these breweries. I am guessing it is a combination of scarcity and popularity among collectors that these are tougher to find, just curious what other collectors who have been at this longer than me think about the difficulty of finding these cans. Did Heileman's, Schlitz, and Blatz simply run these cans for a few months longer than the others?

ThreeRing
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 43
BCCA Number: 8941
eBay name: oldhouse1739
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: FBIR scarcity

Post by ThreeRing »

Wow, no responses for three years.
One important factor in the relative scarcity of FBIR cones is the short amount of time on the market. Schlitz started in late spring 1935 and together with it's size and distribution, probably produced the most. Other Brewers signed on during 1935. Rainier may have been the last to do so in December '35. Continental began producing HP cones about March 1936. This pretty much accounts for Rainier's scarcity of FBIR cones.
I have personally only dumped FBIR Schlitz cones in several locations and Beverwyk Beer and Ale in the great Conifer dump here in the Adirondacks. Good luck hunting.
Charlie B.
kb
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 600
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: kb.1
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by kb »

We also dug Beverwyck Ale FBIR along with Milwaukee Clubs at our 12 Horse dump near Minerva in ADKs.. Charlie - are you there now ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kb

go FishN... Toast to Max..
bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 866
BCCA Number: 34752
Year Started Collecting: 2000
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

EB4BD840-84E5-4FDF-8350-8BBFB04943AE.jpeg
C81B91F9-ED82-4887-ADDB-D097D26B44D5.jpeg
27102032-B983-45A2-BBB2-9AF46007D570.jpeg
Bantam - when you pop a Regal OI, everyone will want to dig with you and no one will give you crap anymore.... until then, Keep On Truckin" !
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by Leon »

ThreeRing wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:39 am Wow, no responses for three years.
One important factor in the relative scarcity of FBIR cones is the short amount of time on the market. Schlitz started in late spring 1935 and together with it's size and distribution, probably produced the most. Other Brewers signed on during 1935. Rainier may have been the last to do so in December '35. Continental began producing HP cones about March 1936. This pretty much accounts for Rainier's scarcity of FBIR cones.
I have personally only dumped FBIR Schlitz cones in several locations and Beverwyk Beer and Ale in the great Conifer dump here in the Adirondacks. Good luck hunting.
3 Ring, did you mean late fall of 1935 instead of late spring? Schlitz Started producing the FB/IR in September of 35. Also you say Continental began producing HP cones about March of 1936. Did you mean Continental began producing the raised ribbed concaved bottom low pro about March of 1936? Let me know? LEON.

P.S. First time I seen this post or would of responded 3 years ago.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

I Wouldn't bunch those together with these. Different type of can. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

I have a lot better idea on these than I did when I made this post, I will try to rank them on scarcity(not value) that I have seen. Goetz is out for now.

1. Fritz Brew - never seen one for sale even offgrade
2. Red Lion - certainly the most expensive
3. Beverwyck Beer- not sure I have seen one for sale, I think all I have seen are Ale's
4. Fitgers
5. Grain Belt - like National there may be more than I think they just don't pop loose often
6. Blatz Ale
7. National Ale - this may belong further down, popular label makes them tougher than they are
8. Kato Silver - maybe should be higher?
9. Kato Gold
10. Burger
11. Glueks
12. Berverwyck Ale
13. Duquesne
14. Century/Milwaukee Club - there was a post here where everyone agreed these were about equally tough and I agree
16. Rainier - have see a few pop up recently
17. El Rey - a lot of dumpers but tougher ongrade, not really sure where to put this one
18. Berghoff
19. Schlitz Vitamin D - recent find made them more common ongrade
20. Schlitz/Blatz/Old Style

I am probably way off on a few of these but that's my perception, I moved them around a lot as I put the list together.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

I tried to reply to this posting when it was new, but as I got into it I realized I didn't know enough to do so. However, I would drop the Red Lion about ten spots on the list. It's expensive because of desirability, but it's very obtainable if you're willing to pay for it. The concave version is much scarcer.

Marc
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

mtracy64 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:44 pm I tried to reply to this posting when it was new, but as I got into it I realized I didn't know enough to do so. However, I would drop the Red Lion about ten spots on the list. It's expensive because of desirability, but it's very obtainable if you're willing to pay for it. The concave version is much scarcer.

Marc
Good point, I have seen more Red Lion's than at least a half dozen of the cans I put below it. I guess I let value seep into my list even though I tried not to. Gluek's should probably be lower too as it is another can that is probably more spendy than scarce, especially if we are not just talking ongrade examples.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Conehead's Conetop Corner”