Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1970

Re: POST YOUR PAINTOVERS HERE

Post by Ziphippie »

Totally agree with Scotts’ assertation, actually took a look at the lid and it is a u-ring, whoopsy! I gave up looking under the teardrop/small opening ring pull after a bunch of duds- game on again now, thanks for posting pics.

Picked this enamel 8oz. Goebel at the Green Bay show yesterday, don’t want to rub my nice shelfer unless something better lies underneath-the white Black Label has been found before. Think that’s what I’m seeing so far. Ziphippie
BB8B604C-A7BE-43C7-A62F-0D3E6968678A.jpeg
Last edited by Ziphippie on Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pbama
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1316
eBay name: seanmelissa
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pbama »

hover31 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:22 am Totally agree with Scotts’ assertation, actually took a look at the lid and it is a u-ring, whoopsy!

Picked this enamel 8oz. Goebel at the Green Bay show yesterday, don’t want to rub my nice shelfer unless something better lies underneath-the white Black Label has been found before. Think that’s what I’m seeing so far. Ziphippie BB8B604C-A7BE-43C7-A62F-0D3E6968678A.jpeg
This is an 8oz Goebel, correct? You think there may be a white Black Label underneath? If so, I don't believe I have ever seen an 8oz BL before; any pictures of the BL? Thanks!
Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Ziphippie »

I’ll rub more when time allows, I think it’s just a 12oz. white BL can sheet cut down to 8oz’ers. Ziphippie
Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Ziphippie »

[/quote]
So if it's a paintover I'm not sure you can claim the top variation, right? The top was for the can that was sold, not for the can that is underneath.

[/quote]

Agreed, I just like things that are different. Ziphippie
Frankie BL & Strohs juicer
Frankie BL & Strohs juicer
JustJoe
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1279
Year Started Collecting: 1976
United States of America

Post by JustJoe »

They are out there !
110DD7FD-2C31-4C9C-9BFD-881AC2E49FF7.jpeg
Official Janitor Of The Seam Gazers Society
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

I thoroughly enjoy this thread. When it started, folks for the most part complied with the concept of making it an informative and pictorial reference of the niche. That’s gone away. Now it seems like all the posts are either teasers or guess what it is or was and look what I did!

Would it be unreasonable to include the following with each post (as was the original request)?

• Top brand
    USBC # (if available)
    Can Company
    Underneath Brand
    USBC # (if possible)
    Any additional worthy detail

Also would it asking too much for those that posted already to go back and check their posts, editing them to include the missing information above? If you don't have the can anymore, just what you remember about the details.

If it is too much to ask, I apologize.

(MI-Cans)
JustJoe
Rust Master
Rust Master
United States of America

Post by JustJoe »

MI-Cans wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:38 pm I thoroughly enjoy this thread. When it started, folks for the most part complied with the concept of making it an informative and pictorial reference of the niche. That’s gone away. Now it seems like all the posts are either teasers or guess what it is or was and look what I did!

Would it be unreasonable to include the following with each post (as was the original request)?

• Top brand
    USBC # (if available)
    Can Company
    Underneath Brand
    USBC # (if possible)
    Any additional worthy detail

Also would it asking too much for those that posted already to go back and check their posts, editing them to include the missing information above? If you don't have the can anymore, just what you remember about the details.

If it is too much to ask, I apologize.

(MI-Cans)
First and foremost I believe this is the best and most informative site for our hobby ! Having said that,if this post offends anyone please forgive me, I only use these quotes for reference.
I do NOT speak for anyone else ! I can attest and am guilty of the aforementioned post. I'll try to explain.

"folks for the most part complied with the concept of making it an informative and pictorial reference of the niche." - I thought the same thing at first, but than I scoured this site for a current list. None to be found ? So I PM ed to ask where I could find the current list. No response ! I'm guessing 3/4 of the cans posted here are NOT on a published,current list ? Not an issue for me,just wanted to know.

Now it seems like all the posts are either teasers or guess what it is or was and look what I did! - Here's where it gets a little spicy ! For the most part I list what the top label is on can. If I don't, that's really up to me.
I don't see everyone giving the GPS coordinates to every dump they picked or list how much they paid for a can. Like wise I don't see anyone post "there is this exotic can I want, cheep on Ebay" and the action ends next week. Paintovers are (in my opinion) an esoteric part of this hobby. You only have to DO one to appreciate the time,skill and effort that goes into it.It's not like collecting, where you pursue a known can, put it on the shelf,enter it into your spread sheet and go after the next one. You are making a whole new can, YOU control how that can is going to look ! You have time and effort put into it which makes it personal ! So yes "look what I did"
Not to mention all the duds (Rocks) you pay for and there's only one paint phase or nothing at all under it, I have boxes of these to prove it. So if I post only the exposed label which is probable less than 5% of what I post, it's to let people know, hay these are out there.

"Also would it asking too much for those that posted already to go back and check their posts" - I would be happy too, if there was a current published list ? Kind of pointless if there isn't ?

Thanks, Joe
Last edited by JustJoe on Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

@JustJoe
Glad you chimed in. No one should be offended by anything you said. I certainly am not.

This all began when I thought the usual thing I like to do...what's good for the website. I never went through the entire 6+ pages of the thread so I wasn't aware of any list. So I thought something like this spreadsheet might be useful:

Idea.png

As I'm going through the posts, I come to realize that a list was being made by @CMD and by @Beamer. This site, being as filled with stuff as it is, a lot of things are skipped, overlooked, etc. Here's where the topic is actually located:

Location 01.png
Location 02.png
PaintOverList.png

Just for the heck of it, I continued to populate my list, I became frustrated with posts that provided no details to make a list work. I saw images that were blank because PhotoBucket subscriptions had lapsed. Some post actually said nothing! I could make out some brands but which version might they be? I could see that any type of list could be an exercise in futility. If those guys quit on it, I don't blame them one bit! They'll have to chime in to clarify the status of the list.

I don't think that revealing the brands on top or under the Paintovers is revealing too much. Some top brands have multiple brands underneath them. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find a gem. For that matter how many collectors really want to put in that much time and effort to do this. Humans are basically lazy and seek out the easy route.

The work you do on the cans is outstanding. Not as an insult but it looks like Professional work. I along with others, appreciate what you do and contribute to the Site/Chapter. Yes, some do not nor will they ever appreciate how much time and effort to create one of these cleaned up Paintovers.

(MI-Cans)
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 126
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

Nothing new with the one I just finished for my brother. The classic Patrick Henry under a Drewrys. Unfortunately someone had at it years ago and didn't know what polishing compound was. Still displays well, though.
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG
I left both can codes visible. Interestingly, they both have the same year symbol.
The federal tax code is 10 times bigger than the Bible with none of the good news
Brewed in the Heart of the Snowclad Rockies
Looking for Lucky Lager with the date 2-3-58. Will trade heavy for one...
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 741
BCCA Number: 5887
eBay name: onenicepair
United States of America

Post by rick78 »

Just curious - is a "paintover" only considered to be a beer can that was painted over with another label or do these "paintovers" also include cans that were, for example, painted silver or grey and filled with roofing tar?
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 126
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

Good question. Personally, it's any can that's been painted over, whether it's another label or something else. I've done 2 high profile cones that were painted silver and used as fishing bobbers.
The federal tax code is 10 times bigger than the Bible with none of the good news
Brewed in the Heart of the Snowclad Rockies
Looking for Lucky Lager with the date 2-3-58. Will trade heavy for one...
RB Supply Organizer
RB Supply Organizer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 861
BCCA Number: 31804
eBay name: kamsquared
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:
Finland

Post by kamsquared »

rick78 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:53 pm Just curious - is a "paintover" only considered to be a beer can that was painted over with another label or do these "paintovers" also include cans that were, for example, painted silver or grey and filled with roofing tar?
I think I would call those paint overs.....
I have found several "tar" cans that have been painted silver and have had beer can labels under them (Drewry's, Red Cap, Bosch). I was told by my uncle that these were sold in hardware stores for quicky roof patches and stuff.

I have also found a couple of tar cans that had beer can labels on the INSIDE of the can......beer can sheet rolled inside out!
Drewry's In-Out.JPG
Kamsquared
"I have your car towed all the way to your house and all you've got for me is *Lite* beer?"
Biff Tannen (Back To The Future)
rick78
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by rick78 »

Thanks. I have a Silver Fox cone that was filled with car polish and a paper label over it so not sure that counts. It came with a Wooden Shoe cone that was painted over with silver paint.
Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Ziphippie »

BadgerJeff turfed up another white Miller paintover tar can during our Faye Lake trip last weekend near the entrance of the Resort. I found one last year in the same spot- Ziphippie
854ECFD0-3209-4E10-85C1-340EB7CC55CE.jpeg
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

THE “PAINTOVER LIST” BASICALLY DIED YEARS AGO BECAUSE POSTERS WERE NOT PROVIDING INFORMATION NEEDED TO MAKE THE LIST VIABLE AND INFORMATIVE FOR EVERYBODY.

This thread was originally started by Dan (CMD) in 2010 with the purpose of creating a reference list of PaintOvers that everyone could use. Here’s list of posts that show efforts were made to make it a successful project.

THE ACTUAL ORIGINAL LIST IS HERE:
viewtopic.php?p=129376#p129376

If you look through the list, a lot of the can identifiers are missing.

START OF THE LIST:
viewtopic.php?p=129377#p129377

DAN'S PLEA FOR DATA:
viewtopic.php?p=144664#p144664

LONGOPENER’S PLEA IN SUPPORT OF THE PROJECT:
viewtopic.php?p=241865#p241865

While the original thread intentions were good, eventually the posters stopped providing information. I can feel anyone’s frustration as I went through the posts.

I may be out of line here but I think the list is salvageable if we do the following:

POST IMAGE(S) WITH APPROPRIATE INFORMATION (IF AVAILABLE)
• TOP BRAND OF CAN
• IDENTIFIER FOR TOP BRAND (SUPPLEMENT #, USBC #, BIBLE #, ETC.)
• UNDENEATH BRAND OF CAN
• IDENTIFIER FOR BOTTOM BRAND (SUPPLEMENT #, USBC #, BIBLE #, ETC.)

HAVE ALL PREVIOUS POSTS EDITED BY THEIR RESPECTIVE POSTERS TO INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING DATA (IF AVAILABLE)
• TOP BRAND OF CAN
• IDENTIFIER FOR TOP BRAND (SUPPLEMENT #, USBC #, BIBLE #, ETC.)
• UNDENEATH BRAND OF CAN
• IDENTIFIER FOR BOTTOM BRAND (SUPPLEMENT #, USBC #, BIBLE #, ETC.)

I have no stake in the project and this is merely my opinion.

(MI-Cans)
jimw630
Cone Top
Cone Top
BCCA Number: 7603
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Post by jimw630 »

While cataloging my collection I noticed this one:
Bismarck Premium Beer USBC#37/14 Vol. 1
Bismarck Brewing Co. Chicago
Looks Like Pepsi Underneath
Attachments
20201019_113620-1.jpg
20201019_113620-1.jpg (49.76 KiB) Viewed 69645 times
001414BismarckFront.jpg
001414BismarckFront.jpg (169.3 KiB) Viewed 69645 times
carsbr549
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1148
BCCA Number: 34510
eBay name: carsbr549cars
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by carsbr549 »

Shared this rub out a few months ago.. Forgot to post it here for documentation. Graf's is a flattop, but the Goebel only came as a zip from what I've been told.. Steve
Attachments
IMG_2470.JPG
IMG_2472.JPG
IMG_2471.JPG
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

@carsbr549
Nice job with the rub out. Which can was the top one? Book (Volume II) does say that can (Goebel) was only a zip and was book valued at $200 back then.

(MI-Cans)
Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Ziphippie »

That Jho-Belle is beautiful Steve!
Been slowly working on a couple dumpers, a lot of q-tip action- kinda like trying to rub out a golf ball. Found a couple undocumented Ginger Ale dietetic beverages. The C&C lemon-lime flat on the right was dumped by Rusty J. outside the Faye Lake Resort in our little ditch dump. It came out of the acid faded, revealing a label underneath. Another reason to go dumping!
The Zip can is zoinkss and was uncovered by specks, just needed some finish work. Found under a Bismarck flat. Ziphippie
040D86DA-F21B-4A72-A35B-CBD5395CD10E.jpeg
B89F0C6E-54DB-4A39-91FB-D383E3517237.jpeg
rick78
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by rick78 »

My brother posted this a couple of years ago on the RB Facebook page. I have the can now. It was filled with car polish and had a paper label pasted over it. He got it along with a Wooden Shoe actual paintover for $15.
Attachments
fox.jpg
JustJoe
Rust Master
Rust Master
United States of America

Post by JustJoe »

Regent 163-18 outer.
Colt 45 147-27 underneath.
BAB4CE07-71BF-4E2B-B9F3-4A75F3E4CC7C.jpeg
Attachments
C7263C4D-7736-4C73-A0BB-CCCCD2BBA36E.jpeg
1F493ED0-D680-4648-86C0-3505544959A6.jpeg
JustJoe
Rust Master
Rust Master
United States of America

Post by JustJoe »

Golden Crown 70-4 outer
Regal Select 113-39
2E818235-51E8-4706-ACBD-317DDD2242E9.jpeg
Attachments
9B970D64-BC14-4652-8AF2-5177D75FDD3D.jpeg
2BA8EE1A-35A0-4054-AB14-D07A04812B5F.jpeg
Pbama
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1316
eBay name: seanmelissa
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pbama »

JustJoe wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:15 pm Golden Crown 70-4 outer
Regal Select 113-39
2E818235-51E8-4706-ACBD-317DDD2242E9.jpeg
Very cool looking can!
Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Ziphippie »

Any guesses? Some yellowing of the underlying white often seen in paintovers, “8 fluid ounces of golden pilsener beer” in bright gold letters- tried to catch in the pic. I had to use the online supplement to see all sides of the can to make sure, what a great tool to have. Ziphippie
CE0EB4B3-DE3F-46C1-A2D7-AF2089283F79.jpeg
kamsquared
RB Supply Organizer
RB Supply Organizer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 861
BCCA Number: 31804
eBay name: kamsquared
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:
Finland

Post by kamsquared »

hover31 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:50 pm Any guesses? Some yellowing of the underlying white often seen in paintovers, “8 fluid ounces of golden pilsener beer” in bright gold letters- tried to catch in the pic. I had to use the online supplement to see all sides of the can to make sure, what a great tool to have. Ziphippie CE0EB4B3-DE3F-46C1-A2D7-AF2089283F79.jpeg
Bjorn! You are the master at finding these. Show us the rest of the can!
Kamsquared
"I have your car towed all the way to your house and all you've got for me is *Lite* beer?"
Biff Tannen (Back To The Future)
Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Ziphippie »

Ha- missed this, sorry. I haven’t rubbed it out yet. Just got the can from my bud foxhead. Been getting my canroom finished up, working on drywall and a bunch of built-in shelves for cans so it’s taking some serious sanding with all the corners. Texture/primer/paint this week. I’ll reveal the rubout later today when done working. No guesses? Ziphippie
JustJoe
Rust Master
Rust Master
United States of America

Post by JustJoe »

Teck Golden Beer ?? Nice Find !!!! If it is. Can't wait to see how it turns out !
Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Ziphippie »

DingDingDing! Correct! Ziphippie
keithker
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 969
BCCA Number: 11507
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by keithker »

hover31 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:50 pm Any guesses? Some yellowing of the underlying white often seen in paintovers, “8 fluid ounces of golden pilsener beer” in bright gold letters- tried to catch in the pic. I had to use the online supplement to see all sides of the can to make sure, what a great tool to have. Ziphippie CE0EB4B3-DE3F-46C1-A2D7-AF2089283F79.jpeg
@hover31 Let's see this unknown version......

Here is what the known Golden Pilsener Beer seam looks like...
tech.png
tech.png (217.62 KiB) Viewed 68363 times
Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Ziphippie »

Same can, I think. I haven’t had a chance to look at it any more this week- done painting in the can room though!
Cans go on the shelves this weekend! Ziphippie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Documenting Paintovers”