Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Sometimes Things Just Don't Work Out.

Post by Conehead »

I went out with a couple other RB'ers last weekend for what was supposed to be a 6 day dumping extravaganza. Unfortunately for us mother nature had other ideas. We were only expecting sporadic rain and snow showers. For the first two days that is exactly what we got. The second night however it started to snow and we awoke to about 8 inches of wet heavy snow. Two of the three tents even collapsed from the weight. It snowed another couple inches while we were packing up to high tail it outta there. Fortunately we were able to get out of the woods without incident.

We did manage to find some cans the first couple of days, and were just starting to hit some 30's cans. Nothing to great but the hope was high.....we will return.

Our camp just after set up.
Campsite_2.JPG

Our camp after the snow.
Campsite_4.JPG

Still snowing after breaking camp.
Campsite_5.jpg

The Drive out.
Drive Out_1.jpg

I shall leave no cone unturned!!
Candog
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 222
BCCA Number: 24666
eBay name: Tcandog
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Sometimes Things Just Don't Work Out.

Post by Candog »

WOW! I'm really sure you guys could have nailed some 30's cans! Now you're just a candidate for the "Unlucky Dumper" award. If you had got stuck that would have been a better story!

I know you miss me!

Candog
CANDOG

WANTED: I'm looking for the following Cone Tops: Gunther Ale, Carnegie HP, Travis LP, Dime J, Wacker J, Kuebler Bock J
Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 101
BCCA Number: 28462
eBay name: Cap-Sealed
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

nu_deal.jpg
Sometimes you can do everything right and still cant catch a break.... The trip was over at that point with the amount of snow that fell. Easily 12 inches by the time we got off the mountain and it was still raining in town when we stopped for breakfast, so probably another foot after we left. Not wanting to go home early with my tail between my legs, we took a different way home and made a couple of phone calls to digging buddies in California - both answered!

Sometimes, you need "A Little Help from my Friends....." RUSTlings story to follow.
Facebook: Roadrunner Chapter of the BCCA
KMA_367
ED S
RB #101 Keeping the Rusty Bunch RUSTY since 1985!
Always Going For Unobtainium!
Calcans@aol.com
Candog
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Candog »

Man, that is great! Rescue a great can from a disappointing trip. Good job guys, it’s should make you proud to be a Rusty Buncher !
CANDOG

WANTED: I'm looking for the following Cone Tops: Gunther Ale, Carnegie HP, Travis LP, Dime J, Wacker J, Kuebler Bock J
Candog
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Candog »

Man, that is great! Rescue a great can from a disappointing trip. Good job guys, it’s should make you proud to be a Rusty Buncher !
CANDOG

Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 101
BCCA Number: 28462
eBay name: Cap-Sealed
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

0nu.jpg
Here's a couple more teasers we found last week....

It was awfully nice of the previous campers to leave us a half a cord of split wood at the camp. That let us keep the fire going all night and to warm our hands as we were packing up. It started to sleet right after supper but then turned to snow and never stopped while we were there. After I went to bed, I heard a big swished near my tent. A large amount of snow fell from the trees and almost hit my tent. I grabbed my sleeping bag and went to sleep in the truck. I was afraid of a "widow-maker" (branch) hitting my tent. I checked my tent a couple hours later and it had collapsed from the snow. I thought we might be trapped on the mountain for a few days while waiting for the snow to melt, but we made it out in the morning. Otherwise, we would have to resort to building snow forts and snowmen to pass the time while waiting for our escape.

Unfortunately Conehead wasn't with us since we parted ways last Monday morning. He went east and we went south. We do have plans to go back and finish what we started though. Bill & I spent Monday night drying out our tents and sleeping bags in a motel in northern Cal before we heard back from our digging buddy Joe who took us out on Tuesday and Wednesday and another buddy Dave, who took us out on Thursday before we headed home. I guess persistence pays off but you still have to have a little luck. Those Nu-Deals were completely covered in mud, sand and rust and the fact that I can read them at all is amazing compared to what they looked like coming out of the ground.
Facebook: Roadrunner Chapter of the BCCA
KMA_367
ED S
RB #101 Keeping the Rusty Bunch RUSTY since 1985!
Always Going For Unobtainium!
Calcans@aol.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Dumping Trips and Stories”