RB Facebook vrs RB forum

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

zoinkss
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: zoinkss
Year Started Collecting: 1969
United States of America

RB Facebook vrs RB forum

Post by zoinkss »

I've noticed the trend in a lot of groups has been to post mostly on the their Facebook sites lately. I have not posted a lot on RB lately, but the good thing was you could always easily look up information about past posts. Its much harder to search for historic info on the FB sites. I think we may be losing some of that posting history if this continues. Just posting some thoughts on this subject as RB has a great reputation for its archives. If some of us only post on FB now, we may be losing some of that historic posting. The only site on FB I post on is the Badger Bunch site as we don't really have our own web page. Hopefully that will be corrected this year.

Also, if FB ever decided to clear old cache to save money or something stupid like start charging for storage of historic data, we would lose all that. Maybe RB should think about mimicing a FB posting page here on the RB site. That way anything posted there can be archived here.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Looking for Waukesha beer, water & soda; cans, bottles and signs.
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: RB Facebook vrs RB forum

Post by pinnacle-project »

You make a very good point. This site is much better than Facebook for ensuring valuable information is available in the future.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
CVforMe
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 1
Year Started Collecting: 1900
United States of America

Post by CVforMe »

Facebook sucks.
===U.S.A.=== Pre-WWII outdoor beer signs ===U.S.A.===
===U.S.A.===. 1930-1950s ball tap knobs. ===U.S.A.===
henry porter
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 834
Zodiac:
Palestine

Post by henry porter »

I have never had a facebook account. Never will. I realize that keeps me from some stuff but hell no.
Wanted: Malt Lager breweriana and Malt Lager cans:
8oz flats: Gluek Stite 241-05, Bulldog 239-10, Schlitz (Class Book) 56-13, 56-14.
12oz flats: Country Club 51-37, 51-37-5.
12oz tabs: Colt 56-22; Colt 45 56-05, 56-10, 56-11–05, 56-12; Country Club 57-18; Red Bird 239-32; Schlitz 121-15.
16oz tabs: Calgary 146-23; Carling 147-01, 147-01-05; Colt 147-22; Schlitz 166-10

Last 2 to complete the set: Suntory 354 and 364.
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

In case anyone hasn’t noticed, I love this site, this Chapter and the people that participate within it. And yes, I’m not a fan of any Social Media.

Any attempt to compare the RB Forum with FB or any other social media is a absolute waste of your time. It’s not comparing apples to apples. Each site has it's particular attractions and detractors.

But, the RB site’s content and functionality is far superior to anything in the Hobby (that includes the mothership’s site).

There is a Reference Forum loaded with historical and informative information that is unique and can make anyone look knowledgeable if they take the time to go through it.

You can search for literally any topic and whatever related discussions accompany it going back a decade or more.

There can be real-time conversations with multiple people offering information, opinions, experiences and suggestions while being followed by an audience of curious followers.

Members can advertise Hobby related items for sale, for trade and even free to somebody. I’d be the first to say that any level of credibility that I’ve bought my collection up to, is due in large part, to the offerings I’ve secured through the Advertise Forum and the periodic shows set up by the Webmaster.

The site is the glue for the Chapter with its Member’s Only Forum. But anyone can visit the remainder of the site at any time. And if they take the time for a simple registration, they can post questions, comments, whatever.

If I didn’t find this site when I got back into the Hobby, I’d probably would’ve sh*t canned my cans and vegetated by watching mind numbing shows on the boob tube!

Thank you Rusty Bunch and especially Danny for giving me a normal life in retirement!

(MI-Cans)
CVforMe
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 1
Year Started Collecting: 1900
United States of America

Post by CVforMe »

henry porter wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:41 pm I have never had a facebook account. Never will. I realize that keeps me from some stuff but hell no.
👍
===U.S.A.=== Pre-WWII outdoor beer signs ===U.S.A.===
===U.S.A.===. 1930-1950s ball tap knobs. ===U.S.A.===
zoinkss
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by zoinkss »

I agree 100% on the fact that this forum site is much better than any other site including the BCCA site.
Not sure how they would do it but if there could be a mirror posted here of what is being posted on FB Rusty Bunch it would be great. There are a lot of RB'rs who do not want to join FB. The mirror would provide two things; if anything happened to the FB storage, those pics and posts would not be lost. Here they may be even be searchable in a much easier fashion. Plus, anyone here would be able to go to just the RB site to read whats being posted on FB. AND, I've noticed a lot of guys who use to post regularly are not posting on FB vrs posting here. We are losing a little real estate to FB by having 2 posting sites.

Just a thought.
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

CVforMe wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:25 pm Facebook sucks.
I disagree, it has it drawbacks for sure but has revived the hobby for quite a bunch of folks and they are joining or rejoining all the clubs (BCCA, NABA, ABA, RB and local chapters)

I do agree that the RB Site is the best, but I may be slightly biased :smt028 :smt024
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

zoinkss wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:28 pm We are losing a little real estate to FB by having 2 posting sites.
Unfortunately there are like 100 Beer Can/ Breweriana FB pages, it drives me nuts !
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
doghaus1
Rust Master
Rust Master
BCCA Number: 3169
eBay name: doghaus1
Year Started Collecting: 1971
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by doghaus1 »

I love that you can blow up photos for a better look. Easier to access RB site. I check it every night. I just wish that people would post more on here than Facebook. :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
Jody Farra
Senator Seebs
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 936
BCCA Number: 24174
eBay name: Seebs397
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Senator Seebs »

Left FB for the hate. Came back here for the love
Senator Seebs - Beer Can Mule
Long Haul Can trucker
jeffandjennyhaslauer@yahoo.com

IGU #4
kb
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 600
eBay name: kb.1
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by kb »

I’ve been a RB site guy since June of 98! It’s my place ! A few years back or more , RB site was down for a bit and guess stuff was on FB , so i joined FB for the 1st time .. I learned after a week or so Dotn follow or friend everyone .. then I learned the groups on FB for whatever field or Bobby your info is nice .. I’ve got brewerianna , fishing , boats , ADKs .. for that part I like it .. for the memes or jokes or other takes , not so much … hey met up with Toby g of the fame Heady Topper brewery who is an avid dumper via Fb pages ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kb

go FishN... Toast to Max..
Nobes1010
Rust Master
Rust Master
BCCA Number: 35802
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Nobes1010 »

henry porter wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:41 pm I have never had a facebook account. Never will. I realize that keeps me from some stuff but hell no.
Yes!! I had one once. But never again. Haven't been on in over ten years. Hate it
Nobes1010
Rust Master
Rust Master
BCCA Number: 35802
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Nobes1010 »

kb wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:16 pm I’ve been a RB site guy since June of 98! It’s my place ! A few years back or more , RB site was down for a bit and guess stuff was on FB , so i joined FB for the 1st time .. I learned after a week or so Dotn follow or friend everyone .. then I learned the groups on FB for whatever field or Bobby your info is nice .. I’ve got brewerianna , fishing , boats , ADKs .. for that part I like it .. for the memes or jokes or other takes , not so much … hey met up with Toby g of the fame Heady Topper brewery who is an avid dumper via Fb pages ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toby is the Man!!
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Guys. Great points but I think we're missing an opportunity here. Easy for me to say because I'm not as active daily as some are but I work two jobs and constantly am wheeling and dealing with contacts from this site and lots of others.
Here are some thoughts and I rarely visit the RB Facebook site so these items / ideas may already be being exercised and if so, my apologies.

Do RB members share personal experiences gained from the site
Ex how to clean cans / remove paint etc. or do we talk about all the great information available on the forum and why anyone who collects should be a member? Instead of giving all the information out to those on FB for free. If we are then why would anyone want to join for $ if they can access info for free?

Do we talk about the online shows how much fun they are and post pics of items for sale (carrot) but not offer them for sale on FB until after the show? And that's if they are still available.

I'm assuming the COM is only for members? If so do we talk about this on FB?

I guess my point is if we spend time on the FB page pushing the membership opposed to giving free information we may get more people to join and participate in the club

Maybe an example would be
Pic of Kool can on FB then instead of telling the story about where it was dug and who went with etc maybe put
Dug during a recent trip to Reno. Then say the whole story and option to buy this can and others are on the RB site come join us

Or something like that....maybe?
Well I'm sure I'll get a lot of Flack on these thoughts but hey.....That's what I'm here for😳😁
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Australia

Post by menke »

The majority of the old crew here seems to prefer facebook. I don't know how to tilt the balance back. Is it just that FB is free?

I have a FB login that I use every three or four years for one reason or another, and within seconds I immediately regret it. Everything that is wrong with regular real life is even more wrong with Facebook. That's the end of it for me.

This site, in contrast, after some unpleasantness after 9/11 on enacted some rules that keep it a respite from the troubling parts of reality and daily life. This is a hobby- our escape, recharge, whatever you want to call it, from the frustrations of daily life. This site enhances the enjoyment, facebook simply sucks it dry.
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
fallscityfreak
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 719
BCCA Number: 32543
eBay name: 00groundzero00
Zodiac:
Ukraine

Post by fallscityfreak »

I use and read both the RB site and FB sites. I don't see the need to compare the two, I get enjoyment out of both.

-fcf.
collector of 12oz US on-grade to off-grade OI & IRTP flats
Lovegun
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 699
BCCA Number: 3197
eBay name: Lovegun1959
Year Started Collecting: 1936
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Lovegun »

fallscityfreak wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:30 am I use and read both the RB site and FB sites. I don't see the need to compare the two, I get enjoyment out of both.

-fcf.
Same here Mike. The original side and Facebook site are apples and oranges. I get that some people don't like Facebook or have had bad experiences. There is a lot of crap on Facebook but I'm on there mostly for the sites related to our hobby. There are two major sites who have online shows like we do here. Have got some great cans from them. Also my best acquisitions the past 4 years have mostly been from Facebook marketplace. Even more so when the pandemic hit, seems like a lot of people used down time to find and move some amazing breweriana!!! Anyhow as a reference tool, nothing is better than this site!!! In my opinion it's the encyclopedia Britannica of our hobby!!!
Greg Gromosiak-RB#699 B.C.C.A.#3197
Former Rusty Bunch President, Current Editor, Miami Valley Guzzelette
scrabble1959@yahoo.com

Turning dirt since 1972

Looking for either Red Top "Old Cincinnati" Beer O.I.!!!!
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

I'm trying to recall the survey Keith did. Wasn't it like only 30+% got their BCCA related info from Facebook and 67+% said they don't? And didn't something like 95+% find BCCA information from emails extremely useful? and finally when asked what was the preferred method for receiving BCCA related information, 6+% said Facebook, 8+% said BCCA website and 85+% said E-Mail.
This quote was from my post in April of 2021.

I agree with previous comment(s) that you can't compare FB and the RB site like it's apples to apples. They're not and never will be. Each has differing audiences and functionality. Each has its promoters and detractors. (I don't mention the BCCA site because it's not even in the same same league as FB or the RB sites.)

Some of you may remember the BCCA actually started an open discussion forum to try to encourage participation in their website. It was removed after a few short months. I posted maybe a dozen things and got responses or acknowledgements on two or three of them. I guess the leadership thought it wasn't necessary for them to participate (in my opinion).

You can do like me. Choose which venue give you the most bang for your Hobby buck. Enjoy it, contribute to it and support it to the best of your skills and ability. I've made my choice and am satisfied with it.

You should just use what's best for you and not concern yourself with what others prefer or promote. It's still a free country!

My...as always...$0.02.

(MI-Cans)
zoinkss
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by zoinkss »

I see both but generally don't post on FB RB. Anything I want to memorialize like cans or info, I do it here just so there is a record of it.
Some of the FB posters are only posting there and it really doesnt add to the RB database and FB (meta) can at any time pretty much dump the cache and say oops. I give a HUGE shout out to Dan and the RB crew for memorializing and backing up the data here. Its basically a digital museum.
My point in starting this discussion was not which to use but to save the data in some way from being lost if its posted on FB RB.
I would hope that those using FB RB realize that and would also post on RB but I don't see that happening. Some unique finds and info is getting lost as its really hard to search the postings on FB.
Word of mouth in our hobby sends collectors here to use the digital library. But, new info is not getting memorialized if its being posted on FB.
I stopped in today to do a search on some miller cans I picked up to see anyone has previously posted.
I love RB as much as I love the hobby.
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Lovegun wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:37 am
fallscityfreak wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:30 am I use and read both the RB site and FB sites. I don't see the need to compare the two, I get enjoyment out of both.

-fcf.
Same here Mike. The original side and Facebook site are apples and oranges. I get that some people don't like Facebook or have had bad experiences. There is a lot of crap on Facebook but I'm on there mostly for the sites related to our hobby. There are two major sites who have online shows like we do here. Have got some great cans from them. Also my best acquisitions the past 4 years have mostly been from Facebook marketplace. Even more so when the pandemic hit, seems like a lot of people used down time to find and move some amazing breweriana!!! Anyhow as a reference tool, nothing is better than this site!!! In my opinion it's the encyclopedia Britannica of our hobby!!!
Agreed. Most of the super rare soda cans I have have been from Rusty Busdies all over the US looking out! Thanks! I can’t tell you how many times a week I get text from all over the country from people running into signs and cans I may be interested in and buying the same through PayPal, Venmo and Zelle the relationships built on this site are worth 1000’s more than any post on FB. I must say I have found a few deals on FB but not many. Thanks to all who are on the look out !
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
Boardman
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 777
BCCA Number: 4040
United States of America

Post by Boardman »

I say keep BOTH.

Run to you fail.