Funding a hobby from another hobby

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

stringsx24now
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 309
BCCA Number: 26795
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Funding a hobby from another hobby

Post by stringsx24now »

There are collectors, like myself, who rarely or hardly ever sell a can from their collection. A true 'locked up" collection. The only time I get rid of a can from the collection is when I manage to upgrade a can.
Then there are collectors who routinely turn over their collection, but stay within the beer/breweriana field. Change of collecting focus or just don't like stagnation/stability. Whatever. Either type of collecting are fine and legitimate ways to collect.
Then there are those collectors that, due to circumstances in life such as death, health issues, divorce, natural disasters, job loss, etc., are forced to part with their collection to be able to survive or re-build their lives. Sad occurrences, but understandable.
Then there are those who sell a can, or part of a collection or even their whole collection to fund purchase in a totally different hobby or interest. For example, I am aware that one significant collection was sold many years ago to fund the purchase of a classic car. More recently I believe that some parts of a collection were dispersed to fund the purchase of a sports card (think: baseball card) or collection of sports cards.

My question for the board: Have you ever sold a can or cans or total collection to significantly fund the purchase of some object in a hobby or interest outside the world of beercans and breweriana? I am not talking about selling a $100 can to go towards a $5000 boat, but selling $5000 to go buy a $5000 boat. What did you buy? And, if you would like to share, what did you sell, either in general or specific terms?

In the dead of night when I can't sleep, I have contemplated this question: what would interest me so much that I would consider selling part or all the collection.

collector of Sick's Select, Senate, and Congress cans and breweriana; beer bags; as well as other fun stuff
Looking for Schuster Brewing of Rochester, MN items and Meyer Brewing of Bloomington, IL

Shows attended in 2024:
LaCrosse, WI show, January
Freeze Your Can, St. Paul, MN, February
North Star Spring show, Bloomington, MN, March

Collections seen in 2024:
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Funding a hobby from another hobby

Post by pinnacle-project »

Even in today's crazy market, I doubt if the value of my entire collection (cans, bottles, and all other breweriana) would reach much past $4,000 so I have never considered selling it to fund something else.

I do know a Grand Rapids area collector who's passion shifted to classic cars. When he sold out, most of what he had was out of my price range but I did manage to pick up some cool stuff before the feeding frenzy ended. I think I could make a good argument for having the best Alpine chalkware around thanks to him. I know another local collector that if he ever shifted his passions to another area, I would eagerly rush to his door.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
dwaugh
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 705
BCCA Number: 29712
eBay name: ebay sucks
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by dwaugh »

I've done this numerous times. I sold by childhood can collection in about 1981 to fund a burgeoning vintage baseball card collection. Cans were tanking as collectors bailed and cards were just starting to catch fire. In 1986 I sold my card collection to buy a new car. In 1990 I reversed direction and sold most of my rebuilt card collection to help pay for my wedding but, that same year, I had a few can finds and resumed collecting cans. I've collected them nonstop to this day, except for 2005 when I sold a portion of the can collection to buy a bass boat. Today, both the can and card collections are as comprehensive as ever and I have no intention of getting rid of either one until retirement might force me to.
Always looking for

Also: Ruppert, pre-Pro New England trays, New England cones and quarts.
bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 866
BCCA Number: 34752
Year Started Collecting: 2000
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

December of 2017 through march of 2018, sold pretty much all of my collection that I didn't dump myself to put towards the engine in my truck (while making room for my dumper shelf too).
Can't pull that off anymore since my dumper collection is with me for life (unless I upgrade individual cans that I dump as time goes on)

Both My collection and the truck are the best they've ever been.
Bantam - when you pop a Regal OI, everyone will want to dig with you and no one will give you crap anymore.... until then, Keep On Truckin" !
bodean
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 1
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
United States of America

Post by bodean »

It's probably not a hobby but I sold probably 2/3 of the collection I inherited from my grandpa to pay the deductible and co pays from an unfortunate visit to the ER doctor. Yes, I had insurance but nothing is free.... At the time I had the cans stashed away and chose to sell them rather than take money from our bank account. Ugh. Wished I had that to do over. :sad: :???:
We have art to decorate our spaces. We have music to decorate our time. - Mom
Jim Romine
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 185
BCCA Number: 19904
eBay name: mojonitro
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Jim Romine »

Interesting topic!
When I got tired of being in the crosshairs, I began to liquidate my Bock can collection. I used some of the funds to buy a 1959 Oldsmobile, which I still have and enjoy immensely.
top down.jpg
I go to a lot of sales and flea markets, so I pick up beer stuff there. Some goes into the collection, some goes to shows. I've used that cash flow to fund my beer collection, as well as my other hobby, pinball machines. I really enjoy them, and I think they go well with my beer collection. What's better than pinball? A cold beer with a pinball game!
Teachers Pet 1.JPG
IMG_1378.JPG
So, I comingle my hobbies, much to my enjoyment!
Jim
Always looking for Bock Beer Cans - 1 or 100, mint or dumper.
BostonBob
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1134
eBay name: BostonBob
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by BostonBob »

Interesting question - I collect cans and diecast cars. The cars take up less space and are much less expensive. I have gone back and forth on each - selling some to buy others. My can collection has pivoted a few times so when I sell, I re-invest in something new. We are planning to retire and move to FL in a few years. At that time, I may drastically reduce my can collection and buy that muscle car or Corvette I have been dreaming of for the past 20 years! I think the wife would approve of that as well!
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Australia

Post by menke »

I had the world's largest collection of quart cones... and sold it for the down payment on a house, less a few margaritas. I miss the quarts and now can't afford to buy them back, but know I made the right choice.
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1970

Post by Ziphippie »

Sold beer sign collection from uncles liquor store to buy wifey a wedding ring.
Sold like 10 cone tops and bought a Pontiac. Zero regrets. Ziphippie
B2A07194-93C7-439D-A5E9-D166395FED8B.jpeg
JustJoe
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1279
Year Started Collecting: 1976
United States of America

Post by JustJoe »

Ziphippie wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:48 am Sold beer sign collection from uncles liquor store to buy wifey a wedding ring.
Sold like 10 cone tops and bought a Pontiac. Zero regrets. Ziphippie
Now that's cool :smt023 Red Line tires and everything !
Doesn't look like its seen any of those Wisconsin winters ?
Official Janitor Of The Seam Gazers Society
Monster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1108
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
Poland

Post by Monster »

I'm selling off bits and pieces of my collection to fund the purchase of a few VST instruments for music production.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”