Two Auctions June 26th WOW!!!!!

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

MEM1964
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 26902
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Two Auctions June 26th WOW!!!!!

Post by MEM1964 »

This ought to be interesting.

waste-man
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Re: Two Auctions June 26th WOW!!!!!

Post by waste-man »

Maybe can prices will be reasonable. :smt019
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

One auction where I might get something and one where I can only watch. :???:
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
United States of America

Post by OhioCanGuy »

Interesting.

Since all these dealer auctions started, it has seemed there was always some semblance of respect, at least between the two big dogs (Morean and The Good Guys/Beer Cans Plus) to not overlap their dates. Never on the same weekend. On top of that, maybe by design, maybe just coincidence, but they even seemed to sort of let the other auction finish before announcing their own next auction.

Pretty difficult to pull off over the long term and perhaps it was just more happenstance than anything. But now, here we are, same day and same start time, 11:00 a.m.

HOWEVER, WE HAVE A MAJOR CHANGE: Morean is changing his bidding format, at least for this auction. Similar to https://bringatrailer.com/ (online car auctions some of you might be familiar with).

This should be very interesting indeed. If you thought you burned up a weekend day before watching an auction, this one may go into Monday, LOL!!

NOTE this auction will follow a different format! Early bidding will take place in the same manner as always where you can enter a max bid and let the system handle it, competitively, for you. The auction closes out beginning at 11:00 AM EST Sunday, June 26, 2022. All lots for which there are no additional bids within 15 minutes (by 11:15 AM EST), will close and be over at 11:15 AM EST. If there is another bid on any lots within 15 minutes, those lots will extend for another 15 minutes. This will continue until there are no additional bids within a 15 minute increment. Please note that bidding will take place online only. Have fun bidding and feel free to contact us with any questions.
Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
DURTBAGG
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 152
BCCA Number: 23126
eBay name: Durtbagg
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by DURTBAGG »

Don’t ever remember Dan holding two auctions in the same month before, but I guess there’s a first for everything. I expect he has an over abundance of consigned killer stuff piled up from sellers anxious to get their cans to market
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

DURTBAGG wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:55 pm Don’t ever remember Dan holding two auctions in the same month before, but I guess there’s a first for everything. I expect he has an over abundance of consigned killer stuff piled up from sellers anxious to get their cans to market
Most of the cans in this auction are offgrade and I only noticed a couple of consignment cans(stickers on bottom) when checking though some of these so it seems like more of an in between extra inventory auction then the normal Morean auctions. With the format used I wouldn't expect too much overlap with BCP either probably by design, this should wrap up pretty quicky after 10AM I would think.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

I notice that breweriana.com is functional again, complete with the cans that were listed for sale when it went down and with the archived sold items.

I also see a rolled Mr. Lager can sitting at $8,500 in the Good Guys auction . . .

Marc
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

I love Dan's new format - I was done by 11:15 AM and only two items remained open as of 11:45 AM. The new format didn't prevent him from getting roughly $7,000 for a $150 can, so hopefully he continues with this format.

Marc
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

mtracy64 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:50 am I love Dan's new format - I was done by 11:15 AM and only two items remained open as of 11:45 AM. The new format didn't prevent him from getting roughly $7,000 for a $150 can, so hopefully he continues with this format.

Marc
It's nice having it end so quick, especially with BCP out there today. But when I have the time I also like to follow along looking for the occasional deal on cans I am not that interested in. I don't win much doing this but if a clean 007 is out there at $700 and it is at last call I take a shot and bid. Keeping a side inventory of traders is part of the fun of the hobby for me and I probably won't pay such close attention to those type cans in this format.
OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
United States of America

Post by OhioCanGuy »

ConeAddict wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:12 pm
mtracy64 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:50 am I love Dan's new format - I was done by 11:15 AM and only two items remained open as of 11:45 AM. The new format didn't prevent him from getting roughly $7,000 for a $150 can, so hopefully he continues with this format.

Marc
It's nice having it end so quick, especially with BCP out there today. But when I have the time I also like to follow along looking for the occasional deal on cans I am not that interested in. I don't win much doing this but if a clean 007 is out there at $700 and it is at last call I take a shot and bid. Keeping a side inventory of traders is part of the fun of the hobby for me and I probably won't pay such close attention to those type cans in this format.
Some notable observations for sure. I honestly thought Morean's new format would make the auction last longer, at least for some cans. Obviously not. I bid on several in the first 15 minute extension and was then closed out (no wins) in the second 15 minutes. Thought it might have been a nice auction feature to click a "what's left tab" of sorts as time went on. Seemed like the only option was to be thrown back into the entire auction with no notice of what was still alive or not. Then again, maybe that's just my bad online mojo, :shock: . Definitely nice to have the whole thing over in like 30 minutes. Would be very curious to see this format run with mostly ongrade cans.

I've sort of gotten obsessed with the pace of the these auctions. I guess it's mostly so I can calculate approximately when a can I'm interested in will come up and can plan my day accordingly. I used to always figure 1 minute per can. Can # 120 could come up in approx. 2 hours. Previously, the auctions would generally lag behind the 1 minute per can benchmark. No longer! The Good Guys have been picking up the pace. I did the math at the two hour mark and the four hour mark. Average was 44 seconds per can. Good for them for keeping things moving.

Will be VERY interesting to see if Dan runs a higher grade auction in this new format. I hope so, but I'm not betting on it.
Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

I sorted the auction by "Bids: Most Recent" after 11:15 AM to see what remained open and the time left, and I think it would be manageable that way even if I was interested in many items. I suspect this type of auction may have items last longer if people were used to the format. I wrote to Dan saying I liked the format, and he said he may do his "Discover" auctions this way and may try another twist with them also. He didn't say anything about the "Platinum" auctions, so I assume they will continue as they always have.

Marc
whitealtesziptopguy
Cone Top
Cone Top
United States of America

Post by whitealtesziptopguy »

That Auction was just to clear out old remaining stock.
whitealtesziptopguy
Cone Top
Cone Top
United States of America

Post by whitealtesziptopguy »

Morean started a new Auction Yesterday. only 1 day after last Auction ended.

http://www.moreanauctions.com/catalog.aspx
Last edited by whitealtesziptopguy on Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »