Second Chance at a Wall Find Can

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Second Chance at a Wall Find Can

Post by OhioCanGuy »

I recently got a 2nd chance at a wall find can that passed through my hands.

Thought I'd share the story...

About six months ago, I was messaging back and forth with Dan Baker of Beer Cans Plus. He randomly asked me how far away I lived from a town (that I had never heard of) in OH. I looked it up and told him about an hour and twenty minutes, or so. Of course, my next question was, why? Apparently, a guy had found four cans, all the same, in a wall of a commercial building that was being rehabbed in downtown Columbus. BCP bought the cans and had paid him six weeks prior. However, as of this point, the guy had still not shipped the cans. He was basically claiming he now had a new job, worked six days a week, and just couldn't get to the post office to ship them. I asked Dan to give me the guy's contact information and I'd see what I could do.

After multiple attempts to contact him, basically telling him I was coming to his house to get the cans, he responded. He suggested meeting at a neutral location (McDonald's) about halfway between us (perfect!) for the exchange. He showed up, I showed up and he handed me a shoebox with four Best's Hapsburg OI cans inside.

Really awesome to see wall find cans when they come out. Colors are typically fantastic with zero UV degradation. The cans looked great, albeit with a few dents and a little dirt/dust, but pretty much no humidity issues and again, amazing color. Was cool to think that I was basically the 2nd person to touch these cans in approximately 80+ years. I also noticed that one of the cans had been opened with a traditional church key, but the other three had been opened with, most likely, some sort of construction tool. Screwdriver, awl, something like that. Personally, I love old flats that were opened this way. I picture a guy at the job site, at the end of the day, or at lunch, pulling whatever he has out of his tool box, and punching the can open for a brew or two. Anyway, I boxed them up and off to the Good Guys they went.

The cans weren't squarely in my collecting focus, so it didn't try to work a deal to keep one. However, as time went on, I thought more and more about them and started to wish I had. Not rare, but a good looking Chicago label in great condition. Also, all four had OH tax stamp lids, cool backstory and of course the tool box opening job! In the months that ensued, they sold two of them in their monthly auctions. Both went for good money, as they should have, for very nice, 100% original OI cans.

Fast forward to last weekend. Buckeye show in Toledo, OH. Tom and Dave were there with their seemingly endless totes of cans. As I was browsing through them, what do I see? The two remaining cans. Here was my second chance! We agreed on a price, and one of the original four is now on my shelf. Awesome!

A big shout out to the guys at Beer Cans Plus for still actively hitting the shows and offering cans in the traditional format. Always great to be able to browse through cans, in person, and buy with cash.

Original find of four cans below in their raw, as found state. Next two pics are of the can I ended up with. Couldn't be happier!!! :smile:

Attachments
Best's cans 1.jpg
IMG_3563.JPG
IMG_3568.JPG
Last edited by OhioCanGuy on Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Second Chance at a Wall Find Can

Post by Conehead »

That's a great story. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. :smt023
I shall leave no cone unturned!!
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Australia

Post by menke »

Purty! I haven't gotten one of those phone calls in a long while...
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
BostonBob
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1134
eBay name: BostonBob
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by BostonBob »

Great story! Awesome cans! I love wall/attic/floor/chimney finds!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”