New USPS Shipping Rates

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Beercanpete
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 3
BCCA Number: 15082
eBay name: beercanpete
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:

New USPS Shipping Rates

Post by Beercanpete »

I'm sure a lot of you know that the US Postal Service increased many of their shipping rates on January 9. I am in the process of shipping a fairly large number of cans to someone and I made some comparisons today that I thought might be or interest. Most of the cans I'm shipping are 24 oz., and I tried several different sizes. Here's what I found:

1. A box that is 12 x 12 x 12 would hold 24 24 oz. cans, and from my address to his would cost about $12.55, depending on exact weight.
2. A box that is 19 x 14 x 17 (available at WalMart) would hold at most 60 cans (I don't have the actual box in hand to test). Based on a good approximation of the weight, same address, this box would cost about $54.10.

This means that if I use the 12 x 12 x 12 box the cans will cost just about 50 cents apiece to ship--but if I go with the bigger box, the cans would cost about 90 cents apiece!

Conclusion: If you are shipping a large number of cans to someone, lay in a supply of 12 x 12 x 12 boxes (I got mine at a local U-Haul store). You will save a huge amount of money that way! A 12 x 12 x 12 box is 1728 cubic inches. If your box is even ONE cubic inch larger (a 19 x 13 x 7 box would be exactly 1729 cubic inches), the cost is 50% more--and that difference increases as the size of your box increases.

Senator Seebs
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 936
BCCA Number: 24174
eBay name: Seebs397
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: New USPS Shipping Rates

Post by Senator Seebs »

Thank you for this. This is exactly why I send all my cans in Mylar Bags.
Senator Seebs - Beer Can Mule
Long Haul Can trucker
jeffandjennyhaslauer@yahoo.com

IGU #4
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

USPS rates have penalized for any side exceeding 12" for many years. Based on the numbers above, it appears that penalty went up significantly, while the rate for the 12" x 12" x 12" went up less than a dollar. I don't know what the weight allowance is, but empty beer cans will fall well short of incurring additional cost for weight.

Marc
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

Yes, larger boxes are always disproportionally more expensive because the USPS infrastructure does not work as efficiently for larger boxes. If you have something big to send, UPS and FedEx will always be your best bet.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
United States of America

Post by OhioCanGuy »

pinnacle-project wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:48 pm Yes, larger boxes are always disproportionally more expensive because the USPS infrastructure does not work as efficiently for larger boxes. If you have something big to send, UPS and FedEx will always be your best bet.
This is spot on. The USPS system was designed around mail (envelopes), not packages. I know they are slowly converting, but it's a big task. In my area, the only USPS delivery vehicles we ever see are the Jeeps. Not a lot of room in those as compared to say a brown UPS truck. I routinely see the Jeeps dive by, packed window to window, front to back, stuffed full of packages. Like packing peanuts in a box.
Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
VNV
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 974
BCCA Number: 33885
Year Started Collecting: 1988
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by VNV »

mtracy64 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:11 am USPS rates have penalized for any side exceeding 12" for many years. Based on the numbers above, it appears that penalty went up significantly, while the rate for the 12" x 12" x 12" went up less than a dollar. I don't know what the weight allowance is, but empty beer cans will fall well short of incurring additional cost for weight.

Marc
Yes, but not quite.

It's actually called Dimensional Weight, and you will fall into that bracket once your package is greater than one cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches). To do this, use the formula L x W x H. Anything under 1 cubic foot will be vastly cheaper than over.

There are calculators on the web to calculate the dimensional weight.

They have been doing this for actually over a year or two since the influx of Amazon packages, etc. which tend to be smaller in size.

It's been killing me for ever, I usually ship boxes of 96 cans and often because of this the cost is more to send it domestic than overseas. It's been driving me crazy for over 2 years.
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 892
BCCA Number: 34073
eBay name: record-american
Year Started Collecting: 2200
Ukraine

Post by oldindiapaleale »

The USPS formula for DIM weight:

package dimensions are multiplied, Length X Width X Height. If the result is more than 1 Cubic Foot (1728 cubic inches), divide the result by 166 to determine the Dimensional Weight.

Example 1729 cubic inches divided by 166 = 10.41 pounds rounds up to 11 pounds

If the package weighs 3 pounds you pay for 11 pounds

Here's the example from the first post:

A box that is 19 x 14 x 17 (available at WalMart) would hold at most 60 cans

If the total weight is 10 pounds and it is 4522 cubic inches divided by 166 = 27.24 28 pounds or $104 to zone 8

Zone 8 (cross country) is an extreme amount of $, other zones:

28 lbs= z1,2=29.55 3 =34.55 4=43.70 5=58.25 6=72.15 7=86.95 8=104.00

I looked this up on google "usps formula for dimensional weight" and it was confirmed by the usps web site calculator.

That's enough math for tonight. -Postmaster Billy
Beercanpete
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 3
BCCA Number: 15082
eBay name: beercanpete
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:

Post by Beercanpete »

My thanks to Postmaster Billy for your post!! I actually clicked the link to that on the USPS before I started this thread but I didn't bother to read it all the way through. I'm sure glad you had more patience for it than I did.

Back in the 1980's (and maybe later) you could send parcels overseas with a special "steamship rate" that was slow, but cheap. I remember I could send a box to Australia for less than it would cost to send from Connecticut to California. Looks like what goes round, comes round ...
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Not sure if it applies now but in the past USPS offered an oversized flat rate box. It was like $19. I once shipped 9 Suzuki samurai drive shafts for a flat rate of $19 something from Tennessee to California. I think I sent a box full of heavy flats too and came out like a bandit. These boxes are not kept out front snd you have to request them. Pricing has probably changed now.
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”