Oh great, even MORE Grail cans...

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

OctoberAle
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 31210
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Ukraine

Re: Oh great, even MORE Grail cans...

Post by OctoberAle »

This can was available at the IBC Show last fall for $6500.
It's the cleanest example I've seen. There were no takers.
The one or two people interested balked at the price, which would have been the highest ever for the can - until now.
The seller decided to keep it. I told him he just had it priced wrong - should have marked it at $25,000. :lol:
Attachments
Obock.jpg

OctoberAle
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

Post by OctoberAle »

You know, looking at the auction results sorted from highest to lowest, I have to go over 40 cans deep to arrive at a point where price seems to start matching with condition and rarity. The first 40+ highest priced items range from grossly overvalued to "that's kinda high", in my now increasingly obsolete opinion.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

ConeAddict wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:16 pm
dwaugh wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:56 pm
Cap-Sealed wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:05 pm With these dealer auctions, you'll pay 15-20% to the auction site to sell
Which dealer auctions are you referring to, specifically? Of those, which one(s) charge more than a 15% consignment fee? I haven't given much thought to consigning but the way prices are, it's tempting.
I inquired into one of the auction sites and it was also 10% on the seller so 25% total. I stuck with ebay as it is half that but if had a holy grail I would go straight to Morean.
Unless they're charging you 10% of the hammer price plus the buyer's premium rather than just the hammer price, which seems ludicrous, that's 23.7% to the house.

Marc
OctoberAle
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

Post by OctoberAle »

OctoberAle wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:35 pm You know, looking at the auction results sorted from highest to lowest, I have to go over 40 cans deep to arrive at a point where price seems to start matching with condition and rarity. The first 40+ highest priced items range from grossly overvalued to "that's kinda high", in my now increasingly obsolete opinion.
Actually, I take it back. Things don't really become more reasonable the deeper I look. I guess one should be excited by this market, if one is a holder of valuable cans, and certainly if one is a seller, but it just seems off, and way outside of the reality we used to inhabit. I've heard "Who are these people?" multiple times today.

I may never get another can... :crybaby:
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Nobes1010 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:58 pm What's going on with this one? I don't get it. I bought one for $400 about a year ago. Is there something I'm not getting about this particular one? Dan didn't even describe it as all that special. Is it just the alcohol volume variant??? $14k before the live bidding even starts?
My areas of interest only cause me to have to contend with alcohol content variations on Ohio cans (3.2%, 3.2 to 7% and none). A friend who has collected Schlitz cones for decades just informed me that the 4 3/4% statement is common. I guess it went this high because two guys who ought to be collecting Ferraris instead of beer cans decided they liked the deep brown and nice sheen.

Marc
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

OctoberAle wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:52 pm
OctoberAle wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:35 pm You know, looking at the auction results sorted from highest to lowest, I have to go over 40 cans deep to arrive at a point where price seems to start matching with condition and rarity. The first 40+ highest priced items range from grossly overvalued to "that's kinda high", in my now increasingly obsolete opinion.
Actually, I take it back. Things don't really become more reasonable the deeper I look. I guess one should be excited by this market, if one is a holder of valuable cans, and certainly if one is a seller, but it just seems off, and way outside of the reality we used to inhabit. I've heard "Who are these people?" multiple times today.

LOL yeah I am in sell mode, mostly because I am on some voluntary unemployment but also because I just don't want to pay the high prices for the tougher cans I need. As Marc keeps saying the bubble will likely burst eventually and if not I will look to expand my 70's tab collection. ;)
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

OctoberAle wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:52 pm

Things actually look less reasonable to me the deeper I dig. It seemed like things might be settling down some - as is true for other collectibles - until these last three auctions. Besides the very large numbers, we're seeing complete disregard for 1/1- cans, polished rims, gear marks and rolled cans, and not nearly enough regard for fade or discoloration. These are the mistakes most of us made when we first started buying, though for us it was at pennies on the dollar.

It is tempting to get excited when I see a lesser example of a can I bought in 2019 bring two, three or even six times what I paid, the larger implication is that I'll have to pay more to add cans and that squashes any excitement in a hurry. Most of my better cans are relatively recent acquisitions and I don't want to part with any of them. I have a narrow focus and don't make casual purchases, so everything I have is right smack in my wheelhouse.

You may never add another can because you have the sense to stick to higher grades; I've been relegated to hoping to win an occasional offgrade can.

Marc
Clarkston1
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 23278
eBay name: jremund
Year Started Collecting: 1978

Post by Clarkston1 »

I thought the Loewer’s went reasonable.
I know there was a big find maybe 20 years ago in a well or cistern, a 100 cans or so.
Still not many indoor examples and this one while still off grade was still fairly clean I thought.
Attachments
12DD8ABD-0168-489C-9058-7421A238F8D5.png
Nobes1010
Rust Master
Rust Master
BCCA Number: 35802
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Nobes1010 »

mtracy64 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:54 pm
Nobes1010 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:58 pm What's going on with this one? I don't get it. I bought one for $400 about a year ago. Is there something I'm not getting about this particular one? Dan didn't even describe it as all that special. Is it just the alcohol volume variant??? $14k before the live bidding even starts?
My areas of interest only cause me to have to contend with alcohol content variations on Ohio cans (3.2%, 3.2 to 7% and none). A friend who has collected Schlitz cones for decades just informed me that the 4 3/4% statement is common. I guess it went this high because two guys who ought to be collecting Ferraris instead of beer cans decided they liked the deep brown and nice sheen.

Marc
Mind blowing. I guess I could look at it like my collection just got more valuable, but I have no intent to sell anything. I love staring at my cans. I go down to my bar and stare at them all the time. People often ask what I'm looking at. History, is partly the answer. Art is another piece of the puzzle, But mostly it comes down to "childhood dreams being fulfilled." I just wish I could compete, somewhat, in these auctions because there is a lot of beautiful art being presented in them. God, I am just rambling.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

OctoberAle wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:25 pm This can was available at the IBC Show last fall for $6500.
It's the cleanest example I've seen. There were no takers.
The one or two people interested balked at the price, which would have been the highest ever for the can - until now.
The seller decided to keep it. I told him he just had it priced wrong - should have marked it at $25,000. :lol:
oertels.JPG
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

ConeAddict wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:16 pm
dwaugh wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:56 pm
Cap-Sealed wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:05 pm With these dealer auctions, you'll pay 15-20% to the auction site to sell
Which dealer auctions are you referring to, specifically? Of those, which one(s) charge more than a 15% consignment fee? I haven't given much thought to consigning but the way prices are, it's tempting.
I inquired into one of the auction sites and it was also 10% on the seller so 25% total. I stuck with ebay as it is half that but if had a holy grail I would go straight to Morean.
When I inquired I was told I would basically get 85% of selling price and from what I can tell these can auction appear to be drawing the right buyers. Just amazed at the prices cans are bringing and at what I am willing to spend 😳
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Nobes1010 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:46 pm
mtracy64 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:54 pm

Marc
Mind blowing. I guess I could look at it like my collection just got more valuable, but I have no intent to sell anything. I love staring at my cans. I go down to my bar and stare at them all the time. People often ask what I'm looking at. History, is partly the answer. Art is another piece of the puzzle, But mostly it comes down to "childhood dreams being fulfilled." I just wish I could compete, somewhat, in these auctions because there is a lot of beautiful art being presented in them. God, I am just rambling.
I would definitely recommend keeping what you have if they are not doubles. Being a soda guy I typically pick up nice beer cans in hopes I can trade for tough sodas. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve traded off nice beer only to find out I wish I had kept them. In the last couple of years I traded a Gunther Bock and couple others for a real nice Coke cola cooler. All my research at the time suggested the Gunther was a $400-$500 can. One just sold recently at
Auction for around $1,200. 😳. Also, it appears dumpers can bring big money too🙃. Who knew!??
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”