The Return of Ditto Cans?

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Onefineday
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0

The Return of Ditto Cans?

Post by Onefineday »

Recently I find myself troubled by this ebay seller that seems to sell only paper label fakes of mostly tougher labels. I strongly suspect this may be the return of the once infamous dittocans back to the real beer cans category. During his previous appearance can collectors attacked him mercilessly and repeatedly reported him to ebay for selling counterfeit cans in the real beer cans category which eventually caused his listings to disappear from the cans US category and caused him to sell in a different category.

Should we all once again try to purge this seller at least from the beer cans category? I for one am bothered by a seller who sells nothing but paper label fakes and lists them in the real beer cans category.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/ustexastrooper ... 7675.l2562

zoinkss
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: zoinkss
Year Started Collecting: 1969
United States of America

Re: The Return of Ditto Cans?

Post by zoinkss »

Im pretty sure I met this guy at one of the Illinois shows. He was selling some of his "replica" cans.
I pointed out to him some of the issues we as collectors have on some of his fake cans.
The biggest of which is when some of these cans are passed down to the families they may not know they are fake. They try to sell them not knowing. He needs to put Replica at the bottoms or near the mandatory.
This is what happened to me. I saw a collection with a few of the fake cans and drove 2 hours to buy the collection. The cans were passed down to a family member. They had looked up the prices and priced accordingly. when I got there and found 20 paper labels. I was a bit upset.

Anything "replica" needs to state on the can that it is a replica. You can just sell it on ebay and expect others to pass that info on to the next person who gets the can.
I learned a lesson that day to get better pics before driving.
Looking for Waukesha beer, water & soda; cans, bottles and signs.
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Australia

Post by menke »

I'm sure there are guys now who can do it better, unfortunately. All it does is rip off newer/inexperienced collectors (or their wives) and burn the future down a little bit more with every can. What's best to do, I don't know. So many returning collectors, and monied collectors, and even those looking for a place filler are there to encourage these guys. I'd love to be able to ignore them into oblivion but that takes a pissant level of piss to accomplish. One can't just do it over and over and expect to walk away whole.

I still wonder where that Monke Beer from Coward Brewing Co. ended up... hopefully an incinerator somewhere?
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Australia

Post by menke »

It's a little like steroids in baseball (or any other sport that doesn't honestly test for it). The real freaks of nature that ought to be celebrated as amazing originals are lumped in with the juicers or even forgotten. The same thing will happen with collecting, at least at the higher end, and that will hurt us all in the long run. I felt so burned by the steroid bums (and a few other things as well) that I lost interest in essentially all sports. Think through what that might do to the larger hobby, and your personal interest, and act accordingly.
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”