Paint over question

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

stringsx24now
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 309
BCCA Number: 26795
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Paint over question

Post by stringsx24now »

Reading over the nice article in the latest BCCA magazine about paint-overs, a thought struck me. It may be an easy question to answer, but the more I think about it, it may be more complicated than we think.

The article mentioned, and it is a trope I have heard of many times, is that when a brewery wants/needs to change their label, they have stockpiles of already painted flats ready to be configured into can shape to be filled just sitting around. Rather than waste this asset, the flats are re-painted with the correct new design. That is how we get all these paint-overs that are found currently. Seems logical.

Except, I don't think it is breweries that do this.
I think it is the can manufacturer that is driving these changes. The breweries obviously communicate to the can manufacturer about the need for the new label, but the breweries are not in the business of painting. It is the can manufacturer that has stock-piles of flats, some painted, some not (perhaps?), and when a brewery puts in an order, they fulfill it with what they have on-hand. If they need to repaint some flats, they do.
What evidence is there? Just some theories:
First, if it really was the breweries controlling this, we would have many more paint-overs with just different generations of the same brand underneath or on top of the older label. Instead, from what I can see from postings and discussions, it seems like the vast majority of the paint-overs are of labels/brands from unrelated breweries, sometimes not even beer-on-beer, but pop over beer or beer over pop.
If indeed that this is the case, that it is the manufacturer was driving the process and not the breweries, it brings up another question: maybe the breweries did not know or realize that they were using paint-over stock? The brewery ordered a new supply of flats with their label printed on, and the can manufacturer supplied the painted flats, not telling the brewery what was underneath?
Or maybe the brewery got a slight discount on the product for agreeing to use the over-painted sheets?

Just some thoughts. Nothing real earth-shattering, and maybe it was all fairly obvious to everyone but me.

Comments???

collector of Sick's Select, Senate, and Congress cans and breweriana; beer bags; as well as other fun stuff
Looking for Schuster Brewing of Rochester, MN items and Meyer Brewing of Bloomington, IL

Shows attended in 2024:
LaCrosse, WI show, January
Freeze Your Can, St. Paul, MN, February
North Star Spring show, Bloomington, MN, March

Collections seen in 2024:
Joe Older
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 1
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 926
BCCA Number: 15408
eBay name: wvcans
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Paint over question

Post by Joe Older »

I think you are exactly right. Steel (3 piece) cans are manufactured by canning companies as large flat sheets that are then painted, cut up and rolled into cans with bottoms or tops applied after they are rolled. They are then delivered to breweries that way so they can be filled and have a top or bottom applied. I don't believe they can be repainted once they have been rolled into a can. So it has to be the can company with the large flat sheets that are already painted that then repaint them for another use. Why? Maybe an order got cancelled so they repaint the sheets for a different customer.
Always looking for West Virginia breweriana from Fesenmeier and Parkersburg.
12 oz. US flat tops.

Well I woke up this morning and got myself a beer,
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
--Jim Morrison
Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1970

Re: Paint over question

Post by Ziphippie »

This is posted somewhere in the paintover thread. I have this contract with three Bulldog/Acme Gold Label rubouts- still looking for the other 1,399,997 from Kankegs. Ziphippie
4CF9749D-78F2-4DF4-BB7B-1749BE6611E4.jpeg
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”