Is there a "holy grail?"

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Re: Is there a "holy grail?"

Post by MI-Cans »

Cap-Sealed wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:08 pm FYI - that American Can Company can was actually FILLED, so not a test can but actually filled and drank. RBer Mark Bryant dug one in Oregon and it was on the cover of a RUSTlings (remember RUSTlings?) Mark passed away and we dont know where that dumper is now.
@Nobes1010
Another resource for ya...http://www.mbcinfo.com/BMV/

Here are the pages from the issue mentioned by @Cap-Sealed

Click to enlarge.

1995-07 COVER.png
1995-07 PAGE 03.png
1995-07 PAGE 04.png

(MI-Cans)

mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Cap-Sealed wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:00 pm
mtracy64 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:37 pm
Cap-Sealed wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:08 pm

FYI - that American Can Company can was actually FILLED, so not a test can but actually filled and drank. RBer Mark Bryant dug one in Oregon and it was on the cover of a RUSTlings (remember RUSTlings?) Mark passed away and we dont know where that dumper is now.

Also, Blue Boar Ale is nowhere near being a Holy Grail can from California. There are probably well over 1000 examples of that can out there. Yes, for the Silver & Royal cones from CA - there are only 2 Silvers and 1 Royal. Townhouse Beer ft by Monarch is another overlooked CA can... only 2 known.
I mentioned two "filled" examples of the Canco can above, including the one Mark dug. I wasn't aware it was lost. Didn't Dave acquire Mark's cans and sell the ones he didn't keep?

Are you sure there isn't a third Townhouse in Kansas City? Either way, like the blue Hudepohl, it lacks the widespread desirability to be a popular choice as a Holy Grail. I collect Monarch Brewing Co., or try to, but a nice Primo would be my California Holy Grail regardless of the number known. Dan's auction can went well beyond what I was willing to pay for a twice-relidded can with the back essentially gone, though. All four of the Globe Brewing Co. cans are spectacular.

Marc
Mark wanted his can to go to a museum. I last talked to Mark when he had stage 4 lung cancer and had 6 months to live. He gave the can to his cousin who is a lawyer and that's the last I know about it.

The Bob Myers Townhouse is indeed in KC. If there is a 3rd, I dont know about it.

I'll never understand wanting the most perfect example of a can and paying a fortune for them, espeically when there are hundreds of examples of them, it's stupid but that's just me. If you are patient, you will get the cans cheaper. If there are just less than a six pack known, I get it then. I get just as much enjoyment out of a can if its rusty or mint. I don't need the best one known to be a happy collector.

I imagine there are only 5-10 guys who are against each other for these dealer auction cans. In a couple of years, they will burn out and sell out. They always do.
Thanks, Ed. I've always assumed Dave kept the Canco can. It's obviously impossible to say for sure, but I would guess it was accidentally filled. Regardless, it's the last thing you'd expect to find in a dump.

I thought there was a Townhouse in KC all along, guess I was wrong about that. I knew Bob offered his to Gene.

I don't like the prices that are being paid, but I totally get the desire to own pristine examples. I don't collect 1950's cans, but the auction example of the Atlantic Beer flat takes my breath away even after looking at it repeatedly over the past few weeks. I have no idea who's buying these cans aside from the few who show their winnings, but I do know there are quite a few guys in the hobby who will dig deep for a few specific cans in their specialty, plus you've got the guys who routinely buy high-end stuff. Whether new buyers are buying these five-figure cans or not, I don't know. The All Star and Blue Boar are spectacular cans, but to your point - what will the next example bring at auction? We don't get to see where the top two separated from the pack, but it does seem like there's potential for large drop-offs on cans that don't have a history of selling at the prices we're seeing.

Marc
Nobes1010
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 35802
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Nobes1010 »

Cap-Sealed wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:16 pm Nobes1010: Purchase this book on ebay and fill in the blanks!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224441531057?e ... SwEUFgiH-8

Bob Myers is one of the early collectors who started in 1959 and really went after cans and purchased some early collections. He went to the first 2 CANventions but he all ready had everything there, and realized early on, that quality trumps quanity. Townhouse Beer was a short run of cans made by Monarch Brewing Co of Los Angeles in the late 1930s. Bob had the best one. Bob was also the first to coin the term, "Meteors" for the collectors who enter the hobby, want to buy only the rarest and best conditon beer cans and then flame-out after a few years. How many can you name?
I just bought it. Thanks! And thanks for the Townhouse info. I thought there was literally some townhouse that was full of rare cans. LOL
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Cap-Sealed wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:00 pm
mtracy64 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:37 pm
Cap-Sealed wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:08 pm

FYI - that American Can Company can was actually FILLED, so not a test can but actually filled and drank. RBer Mark Bryant dug one in Oregon and it was on the cover of a RUSTlings (remember RUSTlings?) Mark passed away and we dont know where that dumper is now.

Also, Blue Boar Ale is nowhere near being a Holy Grail can from California. There are probably well over 1000 examples of that can out there. Yes, for the Silver & Royal cones from CA - there are only 2 Silvers and 1 Royal. Townhouse Beer ft by Monarch is another overlooked CA can... only 2 known.
I mentioned two "filled" examples of the Canco can above, including the one Mark dug. I wasn't aware it was lost. Didn't Dave acquire Mark's cans and sell the ones he didn't keep?

Are you sure there isn't a third Townhouse in Kansas City? Either way, like the blue Hudepohl, it lacks the widespread desirability to be a popular choice as a Holy Grail. I collect Monarch Brewing Co., or try to, but a nice Primo would be my California Holy Grail regardless of the number known. Dan's auction can went well beyond what I was willing to pay for a twice-relidded can with the back essentially gone, though. All four of the Globe Brewing Co. cans are spectacular.

Marc
Mark wanted his can to go to a museum. I last talked to Mark when he had stage 4 lung cancer and had 6 months to live. He gave the can to his cousin who is a lawyer and that's the last I know about it.

The Bob Myers Townhouse is indeed in KC. If there is a 3rd, I dont know about it.

I'll never understand wanting the most perfect example of a can and paying a fortune for them, espeically when there are hundreds of examples of them, it's stupid but that's just me. If you are patient, you will get the cans cheaper. If there are just less than a six pack known, I get it then. I get just as much enjoyment out of a can if its rusty or mint. I don't need the best one known to be a happy collector.

I imagine there are only 5-10 guys who are against each other for these dealer auction cans. In a couple of years, they will burn out and sell out. They always do.
I was certain that I had "three Townhouses" on good authority, and it turns out that it was in an email from Bob.

I got one town house with no top (at waggoners) and tom leo got another that I have now.
Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 101
BCCA Number: 28462
eBay name: Cap-Sealed
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

Nobes1010 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:57 pm
Cap-Sealed wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:16 pm Nobes1010: Purchase this book on ebay and fill in the blanks!

Bob Myers is one of the early collectors who started in 1959 and really went after cans and purchased some early collections. He went to the first 2 CANventions but he all ready had everything there, and realized early on, that quality trumps quanity. Townhouse Beer was a short run of cans made by Monarch Brewing Co of Los Angeles in the late 1930s. Bob had the best one. Bob was also the first to coin the term, "Meteors" for the collectors who enter the hobby, want to buy only the rarest and best conditon beer cans and then flame-out after a few years. How many can you name?
I just bought it. Thanks! And thanks for the Townhouse info. I thought there was literally some townhouse that was full of rare cans. LOL
You'll love the Lew Cady book.... mine is at least 30+ years old and I still read it from time to time.
Facebook: Roadrunner Chapter of the BCCA
KMA_367
ED S
RB #101 Keeping the Rusty Bunch RUSTY since 1985!
Always Going For Unobtainium!
Calcans@aol.com
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Bob Myers is likely the most knowledgeable collector who ever lived. If you haven't seen this website yet, you might find it interesting enough to stop looking at the online supplement and devote the rest of your Sunday to this instead.

http://beercanhistory.com/
nocheins
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1169
BCCA Number: 11839
eBay name: Nocheins
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by nocheins »

There are great choices here. I suppose the equivalent in the car world would be a Deusenberg, Cord, or Tucker. For me, Robert Musson’s book has mentioned a Gambrinus cone with a Chillicothe, OH mandatory. He even shows a grainy photo of it in “Brewing Beer in the Capitol City”.
We each have our “Holy Grail” cans- no matter what they may be. For me, I don’t even have a good photo of mine. This hobby is so wonderful, and allows me to dream.
Looking for Blue Ben Brew 3.2
henry porter
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 834
BCCA Number: 0
Zodiac:
Palestine

Post by henry porter »

12oz Calgary Malt Lager is mine. @Ted Wolfe has the only one known so far, a rubout.

Someday.....

So many of these others are awesome cans, totally drool-worthy, but just not what I'm after. I'd LOVE to have a Silver Dime or Tiger or whatever just for trade bait.
Wanted: Malt Lager breweriana and Malt Lager cans:
8oz flats: Gluek Stite 241-05, Bulldog 239-10, Schlitz (Class Book) 56-13, 56-14.
12oz flats: Country Club 51-37, 51-37-5.
12oz tabs: Colt 56-22; Colt 45 56-05, 56-10, 56-11–05, 56-12; Country Club 57-18; Red Bird 239-32; Schlitz 121-15.
16oz tabs: Calgary 146-23; Carling 147-01, 147-01-05; Colt 147-22; Schlitz 166-10

Last 2 to complete the set: Suntory 354 and 364.
Nobes1010
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Nobes1010 »

mtracy64 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:56 pm

Bob Myers is likely the most knowledgeable collector who ever lived. If you haven't seen this website yet, you might find it interesting enough to stop looking at the online supplement and devote the rest of your Sunday to this instead.

http://beercanhistory.com/
Thanks! I've been eating this site up. Fascinating!
CVforMe
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 1
Year Started Collecting: 1900
United States of America

Post by CVforMe »

I changed my mine I’d say 5:00 Club is a holy grail can. It is supposed to exist but it doesn’t.
===U.S.A.=== Pre-WWII outdoor beer signs ===U.S.A.===
===U.S.A.===. 1930-1950s ball tap knobs. ===U.S.A.===
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

CVforMe wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:00 pm I changed my mine I’d say 5:00 Club is a holy grail can. It is supposed to exist but it doesn’t.
I don't know what happened with it, but this prototype was being shopped around shortly after this article appeared.

Marc

5 oclock.JPG
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

Wait, the Gettelman's 5 Oclock is actually known to be out there somewhere or at least was in 2001? Has anyone here seen it?
Clarkston1
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 23278
eBay name: jremund
Year Started Collecting: 1978

Post by Clarkston1 »

Here are a few to consider- as far as I know the best known example of each one
I think they were both private sales but if put up for auction I would suspect easily north of 20k each.
That Autocrat is probably my all time holy grail can.
Love the stuff from Manhattan.
Attachments
92B28036-AE21-4152-B224-212157D7382C.png
E30F84DF-3395-499C-8571-FFFA58CCDC92.png
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

A Budweiser Crowntainer and the nice Dingle Bay OI both sold for over $30K, not sure of the exact numbers on either.

Until the Krueger's Special Beer turned up, I considered the Class Beer the finest can in the hobby. I wouldn't be able to justify the cost of the good one, and the lesser examples don't look good enough for me to justify the cost either.

Guys have often started "What's your most wanted can?" threads here over the years, and I always listed a J-Spout and a flat. I went from Silver Dime to Hohenadel Bock to "What, an unknown J-Spout turned up?" to the blue Hudepohl. On flats I listed the tall Ambrosia for years and years, then Peter Doelger Bock and then Chief Pilsener . . . still waiting.

But, all of the tall cans excite me tremendously, and I'd put the nice Frederick's up with the pictured Golden Armor for sure. A nice Manhattan Bock would open some wallets wide too - I'd like to see what this one would do at auction.

Marc

manhattan_bock.jpg
manhattan_bock.jpg (31.67 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
jacoby4664
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 373
eBay name: JACOBY4664
Year Started Collecting: 1969
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jacoby4664 »

Does this get at least an Honorable Mention in the class of Holy Grail?
Attachments
IMG_3685.jpg
IMG_3685.jpg (38.97 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
Collector of Brewerania Since 1968
William A. Jacoby
107 Lake Forest Drive
St Louis, MO 63117
william.a.jacoby@gmail.com
314-753-0616
BCCA# 373
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

jacoby4664 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:35 pm Does this get at least an Honorable Mention in the class of Holy Grail?
Yes, definitely. I don't know if it has the sticker, but that was Bob McCoy's and I was fortunate enough to see it a number of times. Probably the equal of any Crowntainer if not the best one in my book.

Marc
jacoby4664
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 373
eBay name: JACOBY4664
Year Started Collecting: 1969
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jacoby4664 »

mtracy64 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:42 pm
jacoby4664 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:35 pm Does this get at least an Honorable Mention in the class of Holy Grail?
Yes, definitely. I don't know if it has the sticker, but that was Bob McCoy's and I was fortunate enough to see it a number of times. Probably the equal of any Crowntainer if not the best one in my book.

Marc
It does indeed have the Bob McCoy sticker, and a Gene Judd sticker. Some good provenance.
Collector of Brewerania Since 1968
William A. Jacoby
107 Lake Forest Drive
St Louis, MO 63117
william.a.jacoby@gmail.com
314-753-0616
BCCA# 373
bodean
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by bodean »

I could justify 1K for a can I want, but not 20 or 30K.

There have been some exceptional representations of the hobby here but for me, it's this one.
marlin1.gif
We have art to decorate our spaces. We have music to decorate our time. - Mom
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

bodean wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:52 pm I could justify 1K for a can I want, but not 20 or 30K.

There have been some exceptional representations of the hobby here but for me, it's this one.

marlin1.gif
Yeah, we goofed and turned this into more of "high prices" discussion than the more interesting topic of what people here want the most. There's still time to fix that, and I think we've covered all the highest prices anyhow.

Are you from Florida? Love fishing? Either way, I'm sure you're not alone in coveting the Marlin Beer.

Marc
CVforMe
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Year Started Collecting: 1900
United States of America

Post by CVforMe »

bodean wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:52 pm I could justify 1K for a can I want, but not 20 or 30K.

marlin1.gif
Bodean, your holy grail should be the tippecanoe crowntainer that was rumored to exist back in the old days of collecting.
None ever surfaced obviously.
Last I heard of it was in the 1970s.
Could had been a prototype?
===U.S.A.=== Pre-WWII outdoor beer signs ===U.S.A.===
===U.S.A.===. 1930-1950s ball tap knobs. ===U.S.A.===
hemmings
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 29000
eBay name: rareamerica
United States of America

Post by hemmings »

So this topic really set me off on a snipe hunt extraordinaire..Was lots of fun going through various books.. Even went through the Class front pages... BTW someone should look at the Beer Can chapter on 24 cans and see which of those still make the list. Assorted stuff in no particular order_ Lilek says there are 3 Krueger Specials known- is that true? I'd drop it down from 1st to 2nd overall behind Tiger if so.... I'd argue that really nothing has the overall mystique and 40+ years of hype that Tiger and Rosalie do. Unique Tiger that we are not sure the story gets my nod.. and I'm a dang Gator...

The July 20, 2000 Ebay sale of the Boston Light Ale J Spout for $17,100 should get a nod on the super high end (M2 was 5.213.1B on 7/30/2000- now 20.541.2B as of 7-5-2021) therefore, by my calculation that is roughly, say, aah, like, aah, 2.8 million in today's dollars.

others that might come real close if a proper on grade can turned might include Triangle, the 2nd type of Rosalie, and a number of unknown ongrade Bocks- esp Lion, Manhattan, Pilsengold, and the Bock Ale J spout. Had the Bud Crowntainer, all 3 tall cans (same F4 Crowns & Ambrosia shown in Class & USBC), Hohendal Bock, Renner Clipper, White Oshkosh, Chief, Dingle Bay, Autocrat, and Associated flat and cone? at this level too but too slow on my post. thought the Schmidt bock crowntainer might go here too??

A next level (I'm totally guessing-showing my bias' or interests) in my mind would include: Kent Ale, Zest, Pilgrim Ale, Apex? Arbee? Kato Strawberry, Fort Sutter? Blue and Gold (even the labels seem really high end- both from CA and the Arizona one!)- not sure on the can though, Southern Select J, and as sentimental MN favorites the red Kato (too many?) and both Keiwel's.

A few more I wonder about their Grailness, and whether they have a Grail shaped beacon, are the Perone qt, Wolf qt, Schmidt and Esslinger Qt flattop bocks?? Also- the Schlitz Crowntainer? I didn't go page by page through USBC but might to see what others might make this list..

and for pure mythicalness gotta throw out the Brandt lp cone- agreed a fake now right? What is the story on the tippecanoe crowntainer?
Thanks, Andy "Adolphus is the one and only true grail quality can and all others are puny and make the Lord Hummungus spit in the sand in disgust" Hemmings
Interested in breweriana with Native American images or language of all kinds.
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

hemmings wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:20 pm So this topic really set me off on a snipe hunt extraordinaire..Was lots
A few more I wonder about their Grailness, and whether they have a Grail shaped beacon,
Here, in Castle Anthrax, we have one punishment for setting alight the Grail-shaped beacon.....you must tie her down on a bed, and spank her.....and after you've spanked her, deal with her as you like....and, then, spank me. -And spank me! -And me. -And me.
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
Nobes1010
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Nobes1010 »

hemmings wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:20 pm So this topic really set me off on a snipe hunt extraordinaire..Was lots of fun going through various books.. Even went through the Class front pages... BTW someone should look at the Beer Can chapter on 24 cans and see which of those still make the list. Assorted stuff in no particular order_ Lilek says there are 3 Krueger Specials known- is that true? I'd drop it down from 1st to 2nd overall behind Tiger if so.... I'd argue that really nothing has the overall mystique and 40+ years of hype that Tiger and Rosalie do. Unique Tiger that we are not sure the story gets my nod.. and I'm a dang Gator...

The July 20, 2000 Ebay sale of the Boston Light Ale J Spout for $17,100 should get a nod on the super high end (M2 was 5.213.1B on 7/30/2000- now 20.541.2B as of 7-5-2021) therefore, by my calculation that is roughly, say, aah, like, aah, 2.8 million in today's dollars.

others that might come real close if a proper on grade can turned might include Triangle, the 2nd type of Rosalie, and a number of unknown ongrade Bocks- esp Lion, Manhattan, Pilsengold, and the Bock Ale J spout. Had the Bud Crowntainer, all 3 tall cans (same F4 Crowns & Ambrosia shown in Class & USBC), Hohendal Bock, Renner Clipper, White Oshkosh, Chief, Dingle Bay, Autocrat, and Associated flat and cone? at this level too but too slow on my post. thought the Schmidt bock crowntainer might go here too??

A next level (I'm totally guessing-showing my bias' or interests) in my mind would include: Kent Ale, Zest, Pilgrim Ale, Apex? Arbee? Kato Strawberry, Fort Sutter? Blue and Gold (even the labels seem really high end- both from CA and the Arizona one!)- not sure on the can though, Southern Select J, and as sentimental MN favorites the red Kato (too many?) and both Keiwel's.

A few more I wonder about their Grailness, and whether they have a Grail shaped beacon, are the Perone qt, Wolf qt, Schmidt and Esslinger Qt flattop bocks?? Also- the Schlitz Crowntainer? I didn't go page by page through USBC but might to see what others might make this list..

and for pure mythicalness gotta throw out the Brandt lp cone- agreed a fake now right? What is the story on the tippecanoe crowntainer?
Thanks, Andy "Adolphus is the one and only true grail quality can and all others are puny and make the Lord Hummungus spit in the sand in disgust" Hemmings
God, I love the Python Mad Max references just tossed in. A+
Nobes1010
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Nobes1010 »

Rand wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:13 am
hemmings wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:20 pm So this topic really set me off on a snipe hunt extraordinaire..Was lots
A few more I wonder about their Grailness, and whether they have a Grail shaped beacon,
Here, in Castle Anthrax, we have one punishment for setting alight the Grail-shaped beacon.....you must tie her down on a bed, and spank her.....and after you've spanked her, deal with her as you like....and, then, spank me. -And spank me! -And me. -And me.
We must get out of here you're in great peril!
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

Nobes1010 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:32 am
Oh let me have just a little bit of peril....
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

hemmings wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:20 pm Lilek says there are 3 Krueger Specials known- is that true? I'd drop it down from 1st to 2nd overall behind Tiger if so.... I'd argue that really nothing has the overall mystique and 40+ years of hype that Tiger and Rosalie do.
There's no telling how many digital fakes Kevin made, but the one in his book doesn't even closely resemble the one known real can. I'd put Class Pilsener and Waldorf Bock ahead of Tiger and Rosalie myself. Hype doesn't impress me, in fact it wears on me.
hemmings wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:20 pm the 2nd type of Rosalie,
You could acquire one of the dumpers and become the 2nd collector to make a mistake in re-painting it, then there would be three different Rosalies . . . holy something-or-other for sure.

Marc
henry porter
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 834
Zodiac:
Palestine

Post by henry porter »

Rand wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:12 pm
Nobes1010 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:32 am

Oh let me have just a little bit of peril....
No, it's too perilous.
Wanted: Malt Lager breweriana and Malt Lager cans:
8oz flats: Gluek Stite 241-05, Bulldog 239-10, Schlitz (Class Book) 56-13, 56-14.
12oz flats: Country Club 51-37, 51-37-5.
12oz tabs: Colt 56-22; Colt 45 56-05, 56-10, 56-11–05, 56-12; Country Club 57-18; Red Bird 239-32; Schlitz 121-15.
16oz tabs: Calgary 146-23; Carling 147-01, 147-01-05; Colt 147-22; Schlitz 166-10

Last 2 to complete the set: Suntory 354 and 364.
hemmings
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 29000
eBay name: rareamerica
United States of America

Post by hemmings »

Hey Marc- now i don't get him doing that at all- and why did he say 3 K specials? A Rosalie would be great but I don't do sets other than Schmidt..haha
My 13 year old self only knew to dream of the Tiger and Rosalie...Though I think the Waldorf and Class both look better....It's all so perilous.

I'd like to change my answer- the Can World Grail should be finding Bill C.s MIA collection....Andy eer, the Ayatollah of the wasteland or something
Interested in breweriana with Native American images or language of all kinds.
OctoberAle
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 31210
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Ukraine

Post by OctoberAle »

hemmings wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:20 pm So this topic really set me off on a snipe hunt extraordinaire..Was lots of fun going through various books.. Even went through the Class front pages... BTW someone should look at the Beer Can chapter on 24 cans and see which of those still make the list. Assorted stuff in no particular order_ Lilek says there are 3 Krueger Specials known- is that true? I'd drop it down from 1st to 2nd overall behind Tiger if so....
I personally doubt that there are any other Krueger Specials besides the one known example. If another exists, there's been plenty of time since the book's publication for another to surface. That can is the best in the hobby, in my opinion. On the rare chance that another one appears, I would still consider the can with the date scratched in the lid to be the best can in the hobby.
waste-man
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by waste-man »

Nobody picked Hillman? Isn't there two different one of a kind OI of those ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”