Propellor can in Dans July auction

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

RustyRaindog
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 668
BCCA Number: 20841
eBay name: johnboi71
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
Germany

Propellor can in Dans July auction

Post by RustyRaindog »

This can was part of the find Michael Boardman and I made in 2006 in Northern Cali on the way to the Brookdale show. I sold it at the Portland Canvention to a local member who is on here. It is probably one of the top cans I have owned. There were some great cans that came from that coin/antique shop! I still have the Alt Heidelberg Lab Controlled version that came from there. Ed S. ended up with the IRTP Heidelberg. (Not in the picture)I don't recall who else got which cans. I did trade the Pilsen Brau for a Finer Flavor Ale from Mr Bramlette at the Portland Canvention also.
find.JPG
30-16LC1.JPG
30-16LC3.JPG

RustyRaindog
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
Germany

Re: Propellor can in Dans July auction

Post by RustyRaindog »

A few more pictures of the can, the top was cut out, but there are no gear marks in the paint!
PDR_0965.JPG
PDR_0966.JPG
PDR_0964.JPG
PDR_0967.JPG
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

A lot of nice cans in that auction as usual. He will be finishing it at the NABA? Are other can dealers going to be at that? I need to get a Milwaukee visit in this summer and if that show is worthwhile I could make it that weekend.
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

The Old Tankard OI "rare 17 line only 3 known ongrade examples" was on my list this auction but this morning checked my cans and realized I have one even nicer that I got on ebay earlier this year. Very happy but wondering if that is not as tough as Lilek book thought. Also wanted the WF PBR and thought offgrade it may be obtainable but it was out my price range.

The Arrowhead cone went for 10K pre buyers premium. Propeller can $1750. I got nothing a few more cans maybe I would have bid on but busy day at work. This auction went on forever.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

I'm absolutely livid about the Black Eagle - I was logged in on two devices, and couldn't bid on either for some unknown reason . . . clicking the button did nothing. I've coveted that variation for 25 years, and it sold for 1/3 of what I was going to bid. I thought the propeller can was cheap at $1,750, and it was my only win. I liked the Primo and Valley Forge a lot, but others liked them more.

Marc
nocheins
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1169
BCCA Number: 11839
eBay name: Nocheins
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by nocheins »

I had the same issue. Logged in on my Mac and iPad, tried bidding on the Ben Brew 3.2, and nothing. I must have hit the bid button six times. I did notice they had to delay the auction on a previous can because the system was down.
Looking for Blue Ben Brew 3.2
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

This auction site issue is out of hand, really how hard is it to deliver a reliable auction application? Is this just the cheapest site available? I have a had a couple of issues on ebay over the years but it is extremely rare that I don't get the bids in I want. Guys consigning their cans to these auctions should be rightfully nervous.
nocheins
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1169
BCCA Number: 11839
eBay name: Nocheins
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by nocheins »

In the future if I really desire a can I’ll have the auctioneer bid for me. Today taught me a lot about software- and how it sometimes crashes.
Looking for Blue Ben Brew 3.2
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Funny thing is, I had no problem bidding on the propeller can and the Valley Forge right after my attempted bids on the Black Eagle failed. I didn't realize until today that you can bid on other cans once the live auction starts - I thought you could only bid on the can that was on the block at the time.

Marc
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

ConeAddict wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:19 pm The Old Tankard OI "rare 17 line only 3 known ongrade examples" was on my list this auction but this morning checked my cans and realized I have one even nicer that I got on ebay earlier this year. Very happy but wondering if that is not as tough as Lilek book thought.
Tracking the scarcity of minor variations can be very difficult. Kevin paid attention for a very long time and very early on was in the right circles to get a really good handle on what was known ongrade - his ongrade ratings are generally much more reliable than his offgrade ratings, but nobody will ever get it 100% right. There are complications with trying to track variations on a label like the Pabst Old Tankard Ale. The variations are numerous, the basic label design is plentiful enough (i.e., cheap enough, at least until recently . . .) that the cans didn't all end up in the collections of "the usual suspects", and it's just a crapshoot as to which variation many owners had. Kevin specialized in Pabst and I'm sure the variations he cites as tougher actually are, but it simply isn't possible to give absolutely accurate numbers for all the variations. I have the pictured example of the R-10 Lilek #640 Pabst long opener, and I've seen four others.

Another, more unfortunate scenario occurred in some cases too. The $7,000 grade 2/2+ Fox Deluxe from Grand Rapids in today's auction is a variation Kevin wasn't aware of until he came to Michigan to photograph collections here. One therefore wonders how many "semi-metallic" cans he may have seen before it was pointed out to him as being different from the "enamel" can. I can tell you this much - within a couple hours of the auction opening, my knowledge of ongrade examples rose from "zero" to "three".

Marc
Joe Older
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 1
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 926
BCCA Number: 15408
eBay name: wvcans
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Joe Older »

I had intended to bid on the Propeller can but it never even came up for me while I was waiting for it. The feed I got went straight from lot 418 to 420. Several times on lots before that the feed seemed to have frozen but always came back to the same place when it resumed. Was it problems with the internet at the site or another auction hosting issue? Marc, you got a great can!
Always looking for West Virginia breweriana from Fesenmeier and Parkersburg.
12 oz. US flat tops.

Well I woke up this morning and got myself a beer,
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
--Jim Morrison
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Joe Older wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:07 am I had intended to bid on the Propeller can but it never even came up for me while I was waiting for it. The feed I got went straight from lot 418 to 420. Several times on lots before that the feed seemed to have frozen but always came back to the same place when it resumed. Was it problems with the internet at the site or another auction hosting issue? Marc, you got a great can!
I've had that happen to me a couple times in previous auctions, and I've tentatively blamed either my PC or my internet connection. I've taken to restarting my PC the night before these auctions to hopefully combat Windows' memory issues. The Propeller can did come up for me - I was already the high bidder and I was very surprised no more bids came in. It got to $1,700 without me bidding, so I expected additional action. The Ruppert Propeller can is the only one I recall seeing multiple indoor examples of, and half of them have been rubbed out for the New Yorkers underneath. I'm obviously very pleased to win this one.

Marc
OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
United States of America

Post by OhioCanGuy »

Joe Older wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:07 am I had intended to bid on the Propeller can but it never even came up for me while I was waiting for it. The feed I got went straight from lot 418 to 420. Several times on lots before that the feed seemed to have frozen but always came back to the same place when it resumed. Was it problems with the internet at the site or another auction hosting issue? Marc, you got a great can!
When I'm watching any of these dealer auctions on my phone (wi-fi or cell tower) things eventually get out of sync. I click on the my auction account tab, and then re-launch the live auction and it always syncs back up. When I'm following an auction on my PC, which is hardwired, I don't believe it's every gotten out of sync.

BTW, when did a Brew 52 can become a $1k+ can? I'm assuming this is because it's North Bay Brewing and doesn't have the metallic gold outline around the "52"?
Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
Wild
Flat Top
Flat Top
Year Started Collecting: 1980

Post by Wild »

I have missed out on bidding in auctions going back a couple years. It has caused me to 'reboot' the live auction tab a couple cans before I plan on bidding.
My computer will show that the next can up is say, '100' when can '105' is on the docket.
But then I should be thankful that my competition is unable to bid..!!
Auctions were not as effective in the 80's when those of us buying expensive cans could discuss the matter
ahead of time.
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

mtracy64 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:03 pm

Tracking the scarcity of minor variations can be very difficult. Kevin paid attention for a very long time and very early on was in the right circles to get a really good handle on what was known ongrade - his ongrade ratings are generally much more reliable than his offgrade ratings, but nobody will ever get it 100% right. There are complications with trying to track variations on a label like the Pabst Old Tankard Ale. The variations are numerous, the basic label design is plentiful enough (i.e., cheap enough, at least until recently . . .) that the cans didn't all end up in the collections of "the usual suspects", and it's just a crapshoot as to which variation many owners had. Kevin specialized in Pabst and I'm sure the variations he cites as tougher actually are, but it simply isn't possible to give absolutely accurate numbers for all the variations. I have the pictured example of the R-10 Lilek #640 Pabst long opener, and I've seen four others.

Another, more unfortunate scenario occurred in some cases too. The $7,000 grade 2/2+ Fox Deluxe from Grand Rapids in today's auction is a variation Kevin wasn't aware of until he came to Michigan to photograph collections here. One therefore wonders how many "semi-metallic" cans he may have seen before it was pointed out to him as being different from the "enamel" can. I can tell you this much - within a couple hours of the auction opening, my knowledge of ongrade examples rose from "zero" to "three".

Marc
Yes, cans that were produced in such large quantities like Pabst are likely to have more examples of most of the variations then we think. Dan sure gets some mileage off those Lilek ratings, I paid less than a third of the price he got for that one yesterday. I wouldn't have went that high even if I hadn't realized I had it already but reading the description I fully expected it to go in at least the $1500 range as like you say those OTA OI's have really taken off recently. Even the most common variations are getting $1K ongrade which is weird since it seems like there are a couple a month available. Since there are no bids and it is priced sort of high I will mention I noticed another offgrade #630 on ebay this morning.
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Australia

Post by menke »

I think the same thing happened to me on the last Good Guys' auction- I was unable to bump up my bid on the Sicks' WF OI; auction software jumped right past it to another can. What a world, with the consignor and auctioneer both left holding the bag. I almost wonder, having seen how savvy buyers have hacked ebay rules in order to buy low, if someone has figured out how to make a denial-of-service attack on the auction server? It's not like the internet has made everyone honest all of a sudden...
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

I think in the auction before this I was having problems early on and when I finally got through there was one of those big goat bock OI's up and for a few seconds I thought I might be the only guy in the world who got in and was going to score a great deal. So there is that side of the auction issues. :smile:
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

ConeAddict wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:35 pm I think in the auction before this I was having problems early on and when I finally got through there was one of those big goat bock OI's up and for a few seconds I thought I might be the only guy in the world who got in and was going to score a great deal. So there is that side of the auction issues. :smile:
I had all sorts of problems early in the last auction also - I missed about half of the first 35 or 40 cans, including the Valley Forge Bock that was the only one I intended to bid on. It wasn't real important to me in that condition and it surpassed what I would have bid, so no harm done. It appears that I benefited from Joe's issues yesterday, though I think that issue was on his end rather than being a widespread issue - can't be sure, though. I'm thrilled to win the Propeller, but the 1935 Black Eagle was my primary objective for the day.

Marc
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

ConeAddict wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:44 am
mtracy64 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:03 pm

Marc
Yes, cans that were produced in such large quantities like Pabst are likely to have more examples of most of the variations then we think. Dan sure gets some mileage off those Lilek ratings, I paid less than a third of the price he got for that one yesterday. I wouldn't have went that high even if I hadn't realized I had it already but reading the description I fully expected it to go in at least the $1500 range as like you say those OTA OI's have really taken off recently. Even the most common variations are getting $1K ongrade which is weird since it seems like there are a couple a month available. Since there are no bids and it is priced sort of high I will mention I noticed another offgrade #630 on ebay this morning.
Yeah, I took a spin through the completed auctions on eBay a few weeks ago and was shocked to see a few Pabst Old Tankards at $1,000 or more. Most weren't even particularly clean. Who are these people?

Marc
Pokey
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 30985
eBay name: pokey-reames
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pokey »

Just to round out this discussion: The can from RustyRaindog is the can that mtracy64 just purchased from the auction. I know because I bought the can back in 2006 and was ready to let it find a new home, so I consigned it to Dan for the Auction. It was the nicest one that I have had the pleasure to own.
“Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Pokey wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:04 pm Just to round out this discussion: The can from RustyRaindog is the can that mtracy64 just purchased from the auction. I know because I bought the can back in 2006 and was ready to let it find a new home, so I consigned it to Dan for the Auction. It was the nicest one that I have had the pleasure to own.
Thanks for posting - I've been curious whose can it was since RRD stated that it was someone who participates here, and even more so since winning the auction because I like to know provenance when possible. The Jacob Ruppert seemed like the most obtainable version of the label, but several have been destroyed for the New Yorkers underneath. I've always been quite enamored with the design, and I hope to add another (or more) over time. The seeming simplicity of the design is deceptive - someone put a lot of thought into what they were doing.

Marc
RustyRaindog
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
Germany

Post by RustyRaindog »

I was respecting Pokeys privacy and hoped he would chime in! So glad Boardman and I saved those cans from the coin shop. I also want to say he bought it 1n 2016 not 2006 at the Portland Canvention.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

RustyRaindog wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:55 am I was respecting Pokeys privacy and hoped he would chime in! So glad Boardman and I saved those cans from the coin shop. I also want to say he bought it 1n 2016 not 2006 at the Portland Canvention.
I should have been able to put it together myself, but it didn't dawn on me until today to check whether the Primo was the same can Pokey posted here a while back. That and Dan's tags were enough to put it together, but I missed it even though I looked at the Primo several times - I thought I was serious about that one too, but the final number indicates that I was fooling myself.

Marc
Pokey
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 30985
eBay name: pokey-reames
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pokey »

mtracy64 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:16 am
I should have been able to put it together myself, but it didn't dawn on me until today to check whether the Primo was the same can Pokey posted here a while back. That and Dan's tags were enough to put it together, but I missed it even though I looked at the Primo several times - I thought I was serious about that one too, but the final number indicates that I was fooling myself.

Marc
The ridiculously high prices lately is what has made me decide to downsize some of my better cans. In the previous month’s auction my near perfect Salute cone top got $13,500!
“Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Pokey wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:35 pm
mtracy64 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:16 am

Marc
The ridiculously high prices lately is what has made me decide to downsize some of my better cans. In the previous month’s auction my near perfect Salute cone top got $13,500!
The Eagle cone didn't surprise me, but Dan consistently gets very large numbers for clean California cones and the two Salutes were the biggest surprises. It's a bit of a gamble letting things go at auction - some things go stupid, but others go about where they should. I'm sure I have a few that would go crazy, but I just don't have anything I'm willing to let go. It's become very difficult to add better cans and I expect that to continue, but it was nice to see a lot of more obtainable cans fall back to earth in the last auction.

Marc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”