Zip Tabs By Company

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Zip Tabs By Company

Post by MI-Cans »

This project is associated with my interest in Zip tabs. I wanted to show that a particular Version 3 Tab design can be attributed to a particular can company across the many brands it serviced.

It’s generally been recognized that there are 3 variations of Zip Tops.

1. Plain With No Instructions, no raised or recessed ribs, perfectly flat surface with a tab that has 3 reinforcing ribs.
2. Plain With Instructions, no raised or recessed ribs, perfectly flat surface with an identical tab that has 3 reinforcing ribs.

TEMP.jpg

3. Customized By Can Company, The majority seemed to opt for some type of rolled edges on the tab in an attempt to reduce the number of incidents of cut fingers. The reality was that most cuts were generated by the metal removed that created the opening rather than the Tab end. The opening shape was die cut into the lid at a depth that allowed the lid to stay sealed until the tab was used to separate the die cut area from the rest of the lid.

There’s often been discussion regarding the angle at which the tab sits relative to the opening shape. There’s hole in the tab, there’s a hole in the lid and there’s a rivet that joins them together. I believe that there is a portion of the tooling that feeds the tabs properly and consistently positions them over the lids and another function of the tooling joins the two entities with a rivet that is inserted and fastens both pieces.

TAB ANGLES.jpg

You can see above three Version 3 Zip Tabs produced by Crown Canning Co. Each is from a different brand of beer. There’s no guarantee that either of these Tab angles is the correct one. The tooling would always place the tab in the same location at the same angle. There is the possibility that a previous owner of the can could have moved the Tab. Additionally, handling the can in storage, marketing or even consuming the contents might be an explanation for the change in angle relative to the die cut. I contend that the angle between the Tab end and the die cutout cannot be defined without seeing the original design and engineering drawings.

Now let's examine each company's lid.

AMERICAN.png
AMERICAN.png (152.2 KiB) Viewed 755 times
The Tab used by the American Can Company strongly resembles the Version 1 & 2 Zip Tabs. This probably because American held the Patent along with Mr. Fraze. They rounded the end of the Tab and rolled it to form a safer first point of contact for the consumer. The three strengthening ribs are carryovers from the earlier versions. Notable are the three circles and a stamped code just inside the Tab end.

CONTINENTAL.png
CONTINENTAL.png (142.28 KiB) Viewed 755 times
The Continental Can Company Tab shows the most extreme modification. Three sides are radically rolled/shaped to create a stronger and safer Tab for the consumer. The six circle pattern is a standard feature on this brand of Tab.

CROWN.png
CROWN.png (128.47 KiB) Viewed 755 times
The Crown Can Company rolled the perimeter of the Tab to provide a safer instrument for the consumer. In order to strengthen the Tab, they added what I’d call tear drop shaped reinforcing ribs on either side of the rivet. What’s unique is the embossed/stamped crown logo in the flat portion of the Tab.

NATIONAL.png
NATIONAL.png (120.87 KiB) Viewed 755 times
The National Can Company Tab is really similar to the American Tab. The noticeable difference is the six circles just inside the rolled Tan end. I’d go out on limb and say they’re identical with that singular exception.

REYNOLDS.png
REYNOLDS.png (159.41 KiB) Viewed 755 times
This Tab from the Reynolds Aluminum Company is somewhat similar to the Continental Tab. The big difference is that Reynolds put the instructions in the center of the tab while everyone else was stamping the instructions into the surface of the lid.

I’ve gone through every page of the Volume II Supplement. I selected every can identified as a possible Zip and checked if it had a red outline (indicating new 5 group images). Then, if it had an intact Zip pictured, I noted it for the project.

The total count was 117 intact Zips pictured in the Supplement (at the time). I found 44 from American, 46 from Continental, 12 from Crown, 7 from National and 3 from Reynolds. That’s only 112. I found 5 oddball lids which I’ll point out now.

one.png
two.png
three.png

I'm sure a lot of you know all this stuff. I post this for the benefit of those that don't know, are just curious or are willing to learn all they can. The best feature in this hobby is an educated Hobbyist!

(MI-Cans)

Return to “General Discussion”