Good Guys May Auction is Now Open

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Mizmo64
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 2
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 908
BCCA Number: 33072
eBay name: Mizmo64
Year Started Collecting: 0
Zodiac:

Good Guys May Auction is Now Open

Post by Mizmo64 »

After much debate on if we were going to postpone our May Auction, we have decide to go ahead as planned with the exception being this will be a Saturday Auction. Like the majority of you we are glad to see the shows starting to come back around and are excited to actually get out and see people again. The people are the best part of this hobby. There is a mixed selection and should be something for everyone.

https://auctions.beercansplus.com/catalog.aspx

keithker
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 969
BCCA Number: 11507
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Good Guys May Auction is Now Open

Post by keithker »

@Mizmo64 Tom....you guys are not looking to make it a hat trick and have it with Jeff and Dan on May 23??

Looking forward to all of the auctions and in person of course!!!
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

keithker wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:46 am @Mizmo64 Tom....you guys are not looking to make it a hat trick and have it with Jeff and Dan on May 23??

Looking forward to all of the auctions and in person of course!!!
Jeff just changed his to the 30th, I uploaded the new banner.
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
United States of America

Post by OhioCanGuy »

Hey Tom, any chance you could post a tentative list of shows you guys plan to attend over the next few months?

Always love looking over the BCP inventory in person.
Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
Mizmo64
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:

Post by Mizmo64 »

OhioCanGuy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 pm Hey Tom, any chance you could post a tentative list of shows you guys plan to attend over the next few months?

Always love looking over the BCP inventory in person.
Bob,
This Saturday 5/15 we will be a the Bullfrog show in Wauconda, IL
June 11 & 12 Dave and I are splitting up. I will be in Lebanon at Ohio Mini-can and Dave will be in St. Louis at Swap-A-Rama
June 19 We will be in Elk Grove, IL at the Windy City Picnic
July 23 & 24 We will be in Frankenmuth, MI at Summerswap
July 25 We will be in Joliet, Il at the Prison City Picnic
August - Canvention

We may even possibly try to squeeze another show or two in.

Tom
halfquart
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 15584
eBay name: half-quart
Year Started Collecting: 1970
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by halfquart »

Splitting up😢 I didn’t even know you were having problems.🙄
Hafa Adi ! - halfquart
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

There's nothing in my wheelhouse this time, due to my narrow focus, but there are enough interesting cans that I'm going to have to watch. I noticed an interesting oddity when sorting by price also - the yellow Blatz shows "None" for bid amount, but it sorted between $225 and $425. I left the page sitting that way for a while before opening the yellow Blatz and finding the bid at $500 - I assume that it hadn't met the reserve when I first found it. Refreshing the page re-sorted it and showed it at $500. Nice feature.

Marc
GGA.JPG
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

I am taking the under at $4000 for the yellow Blatz ;)

I am not sure how I feel about bank tops, I used to be stickler for all original filled with beer but find you just need to take some relidded cans when you specialize in brands, especially with flats. My dad gave me a white Miller bank top for Xmas when I was about 12 and I thought it was a reproduction and promptly took the lid off (which annoyed the heck out of my Dad), luckily it is not a rare can I wrecked. Bank tops don't seem to hurt the value on 007's and I doubt it does for the Blatz set cans either.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

There was a discussion on these Blatz series cans here a while back, and someone who seemed particularly knowledgeable on them indicated that all-original bank top cans do exist. I haven't scrutinized the cans in the auction to see if they appear to be re-lidded, but I don't think we can automatically assume they are.

Marc
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

Sorry, I didn't mean I thought they were relidded, just that bank tops were not filled with beer so by some standards not real beer cans. These look all original to me for sure.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Now that they're done, I see that a few were listed as all-original bank tops. And, sorry, I guess I missed your point. I'm generally not a fan of re-lidded cans - I'll look past that for the right can, but it really has to be something I think I might never see all-original (or lidless - the relatively common Old Dutch OI comes to mind - I'm waiting for a lidless one to come up, as I know there was a sizeable find of un-lidded cans, but most have been re-lidded). I don't concern myself too much with whether a can actually held beer - I have several cans from salesmen's sample can finds, and I don't view them as being "lesser" in any way. An all-original bank top may not have quite the allure of the "Display - Empty" lid, which I really like, but I wouldn't view it as a negative. A can that's been re-lidded with a bank top stands virtually no chance of making it to my shelf.

Marc
Clarkston1
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 23278
eBay name: jremund
Year Started Collecting: 1978

Post by Clarkston1 »

$4,200.00 for the Exeter...and I thought I might have overpaid for mine at the time.
Attachments
CC504098-D2C6-4E48-8865-333CA7A955E7.png
Mizmo64
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:

Post by Mizmo64 »

mtracy64 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:54 am There's nothing in my wheelhouse this time, due to my narrow focus, but there are enough interesting cans that I'm going to have to watch. I noticed an interesting oddity when sorting by price also - the yellow Blatz shows "None" for bid amount, but it sorted between $225 and $425. I left the page sitting that way for a while before opening the yellow Blatz and finding the bid at $500 - I assume that it hadn't met the reserve when I first found it. Refreshing the page re-sorted it and showed it at $500. Nice feature.

Marc

GGA.JPG
Marc,
We never put reserves on our own cans, let alone we refuse to put hidden reserves on any cans. We discourage consigner's from putting reserves on also. We recommend that instead of a reserve, just start the can at what you are willing to sell it for. We place a reserve on a consigned can is they insist, but will always disclose that there is a reserve.

These crazy moving numbers BS has been going on since the supposed auction platform upgrade they did a few months back. We have been getting e-mails and phone calls about it every since. We have notified the auction platform numerous times of the issue and either they don't know how to fix it or don't give a damn about fixing it. It has been very frustrating. Dan and Jeff ought to be happy that they didn't get the upgrade when we did. It has been nothing but a headache.

Tom
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Mizmo64 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:27 pm
mtracy64 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:54 am There's nothing in my wheelhouse this time, due to my narrow focus, but there are enough interesting cans that I'm going to have to watch. I noticed an interesting oddity when sorting by price also - the yellow Blatz shows "None" for bid amount, but it sorted between $225 and $425. I left the page sitting that way for a while before opening the yellow Blatz and finding the bid at $500 - I assume that it hadn't met the reserve when I first found it. Refreshing the page re-sorted it and showed it at $500. Nice feature.

Marc

GGA.JPG
Marc,
We never put reserves on our own cans, let alone we refuse to put hidden reserves on any cans. We discourage consigner's from putting reserves on also. We recommend that instead of a reserve, just start the can at what you are willing to sell it for. We place a reserve on a consigned can is they insist, but will always disclose that there is a reserve.

These crazy moving numbers BS has been going on since the supposed auction platform upgrade they did a few months back. We have been getting e-mails and phone calls about it every since. We have notified the auction platform numerous times of the issue and either they don't know how to fix it or don't give a damn about fixing it. It has been very frustrating. Dan and Jeff ought to be happy that they didn't get the upgrade when we did. It has been nothing but a headache.

Tom
Thanks, Tom. I certainly didn't mean to imply any underhanded behavior on the part of the Good Guys - a $500 reserve on that can would easily qualify as "modest" and wouldn't bother me in the least, and a disclosed reserve wouldn't bother me regardless of the number.

Now that you mention issues with the website, I see that I can't view my previous invoices.

Marc
OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
United States of America

Post by OhioCanGuy »

ConeAddict wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:21 am Sorry, I didn't mean I thought they were relidded, just that bank tops were not filled with beer so by some standards not real beer cans. These look all original to me for sure.

The definition of "original" is a slippery slope for some, as to what is, and what is not, an original beer can.

A dealer auction, that I will not mention the name of (but their next auction starts in just under 12 hours from right now), has a description that says: "Professionally rolled, otherwise all original".

:shock: .... :shock: .... :shock: ...:roll:
Last edited by OhioCanGuy on Sun May 23, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Setting aside the bizarreness mentioned above, we are a hobby which makes seemingly arbitrary distinctions, and we're never going to see eye-to-eye on all of these things. Slippery slopes abound. Someone who doesn't focus entirely on cans would probably think that a flat sheet would be a prized rarity suitable for framing, yet we make them into cans and then consider them inferior. Many of us consider a re-lidded can with visible gear marks to be somehow "better" than it was with no lid, despite the fact that the original rim was removed in the re-lidding process. The "held beer" criteria is a very popular one, but until the 1970's air-sealed cans were produced in minute quantities compared to filled cans and were just as likely to be thrown out, and if you punch a hole in an air-sealed can with a period-correct opener you have no reason to suspect it wasn't filled. We collect garbage that got saved by someone who thought it was neat or, more often, was in the possession of someone too lazy to dispose of it, and we need a club governed by Robert's Rules of Order to oversee this pursuit. Some of us even go dig this garbage up decades after it was thrown out, and every one of us who does that will tell you it's the most fun we've ever had in the hobby.

Marc
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Clarkston1 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:39 pm $4,200.00 for the Exeter...and I thought I might have overpaid for mine at the time.
I have no idea what you paid for yours, but it's a tremendous can and an inspired selection for someone who doesn't focus on Gretz or even PA stuff. If I recall correctly, yours is in better shape too.

Marc
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

mtracy64 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:29 am Some of us even go dig this garbage up decades after it was thrown out, and every one of us who does that will tell you it's the most fun we've ever had in the hobby.
Truth be told !!!
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

Yes even with the really minty old cones there is a chance they were just test cans that were saved. The bank tops didn't stop me from bidding on the Blatz cans I needed but they did stop me from winning, I got to last call on both the orange and pink cans. I ended up with the Fritz and National ale low pros, the latter was sort of an impulse bid since I had the budget for it this weekend. It's a can I always liked but have a little buyers regret since it takes me out of anything today. Oh well, now I have time today to get my new Fisher M scope out in the woods for the first time, following 2 auctions a weekend is a little too much anyway.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Well, the bottom line on these distinctions we make is, we all make our own decisions - if you think a bank top is "lesser", the only person you have to answer to is yourself. Best of luck finding them the way you want them - they're out there, and they'll come around again.

I considered bidding on the Fritz Brew - I've loved the can since the first time I saw it in a book, and it's not often you'll see one in that price range. I expect it will look better in person, and it might even clean up some.

I don't recall knowing that you were one to get out and dig cans - very cool, hope you find something exciting.

Marc
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

mtracy64 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:42 am Well, the bottom line on these distinctions we make is, we all make our own decisions - if you think a bank top is "lesser", the only person you have to answer to is yourself. Best of luck finding them the way you want them - they're out there, and they'll come around again.

I considered bidding on the Fritz Brew - I've loved the can since the first time I saw it in a book, and it's not often you'll see one in that price range. I expect it will look better in person, and it might even clean up some.

I don't recall knowing that you were one to get out and dig cans - very cool, hope you find something exciting.

Marc
This was the first time I have been out with a metal detector, found some sort of buried barrel or tank, some weird rusty metal rings, a buried cable, a piece of an old wire fence and finally, an aluminum Pabst tab 6 inches down. :smile: Wet, messy work but i had fun, it's the sort of thing I did a lot as a kid so knew I would take to it. Mostly just trying to get the hang of using the MD.

I love the Fritz brew too, probably my favorite can. I have a very shiny one from an auction a couple of year ago but this one has the alcohol statement. Now I just need the matching flat bottoms.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

ConeAddict wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:51 pm
mtracy64 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:42 am Well, the bottom line on these distinctions we make is, we all make our own decisions - if you think a bank top is "lesser", the only person you have to answer to is yourself. Best of luck finding them the way you want them - they're out there, and they'll come around again.

Marc
This was the first time I have been out with a metal detector, found some sort of buried barrel or tank, some weird rusty metal rings, a buried cable, a piece of an old wire fence and finally, an aluminum Pabst tab 6 inches down. :smile: Wet, messy work but i had fun, it's the sort of thing I did a lot as a kid so knew I would take to it. Mostly just trying to get the hang of using the MD.

I love the Fritz brew too, probably my favorite can. I have a very shiny one from an auction a couple of year ago but this one has the alcohol statement. Now I just need the matching flat bottoms.
You're just getting into digging for cans? I'll bet that doesn't happen often these days. And yes, it's fun even when you don't find anything. There's probably someone here who could assist with dialing in the detector you have.

A fellow masochist I see - after all of the Fritz Brew variations? I've learned that with patience and networking, very few things are truly unobtainable. I'm a variation nut in general, though I've decided to forego variations on some of the tougher flats I've been chasing in recent years. Well, my wallet decided for me . . .

Marc
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

Well I can't be the only reborn collector who finally got around to digging. I have a Fisher 1280-X and have no idea on the sensitivity or discrimination settings so any insight on that would be appreciated. There was one time this morning when I couldn't find what it detected, I had a small garden shovel and only dig about a ft x ft hole but maybe need to dig deeper just wasn't convinced it was detecting that deep.

The Fritz Brew falls into the "can's I like" more than anything I specialize in although Freeport isn't far from here and I saw in a post that Potosi has some Fritz Brews in their museum. But with cool cans like that I would love to have multiple variations, still kicking myself for selling my ongrade concave and FBIR powder blue Glueks when I was unemployed. Will never replace them at the value I bought them. The Fritz FBIR's seem pretty tough though, guessing they were late to sign on with continental in 35/36 and never ran a ton of them.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

ConeAddict wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:54 pm Well I can't be the only reborn collector who finally got around to digging. I have a Fisher 1280-X and have no idea on the sensitivity or discrimination settings so any insight on that would be appreciated. There was one time this morning when I couldn't find what it detected, I had a small garden shovel and only dig about a ft x ft hole but maybe need to dig deeper just wasn't convinced it was detecting that deep.

The Fritz Brew falls into the "can's I like" more than anything I specialize in although Freeport isn't far from here and I saw in a post that Potosi has some Fritz Brews in their museum. But with cool cans like that I would love to have multiple variations, still kicking myself for selling my ongrade concave and FBIR powder blue Glueks when I was unemployed. Will never replace them at the value I bought them. The Fritz FBIR's seem pretty tough though, guessing they were late to sign on with continental in 35/36 and never ran a ton of them.
I'd suggest a separate post seeking information on the settings for your detector. It seems like reborn collectors who dig also did so before going on hiatus, but I certainly could be wrong about that.

I traveled to Belvidere, IL many times between 1998 and 2000, usually for two weeks at a time, and I hit antique stores all over the area with visions of Fritz Brews and Frederick's cones bouncing around in my head. All I ever found was a few collectors with overpriced stuff. It's a tough area for digging as far as I could tell, but the northern half of Wisconsin is obviously much better. I was unemployed in 2001 and again in 2008, and I let go of a few things I'll probably never see again. The Glueks can aren't far behind the Fritz. I can't remember the last time I saw a Fritz FBIR available, but the allure of big prices has been shaking loose some amazing stuff.

Marc
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 892
BCCA Number: 34073
eBay name: record-american
Year Started Collecting: 2200
Ukraine

metal detecting

Post by oldindiapaleale »

A thread about sponsor auctions becomes a thread about metal detecting. Sweet.
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

mtracy64 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:30 pm

I'd suggest a separate post seeking information on the settings for your detector. It seems like reborn collectors who dig also did so before going on hiatus, but I certainly could be wrong about that.

I traveled to Belvidere, IL many times between 1998 and 2000, usually for two weeks at a time, and I hit antique stores all over the area with visions of Fritz Brews and Frederick's cones bouncing around in my head. All I ever found was a few collectors with overpriced stuff. It's a tough area for digging as far as I could tell, but the northern half of Wisconsin is obviously much better. I was unemployed in 2001 and again in 2008, and I let go of a few things I'll probably never see again. The Glueks can aren't far behind the Fritz. I can't remember the last time I saw a Fritz FBIR available, but the allure of big prices has been shaking loose some amazing stuff.

Marc
I will figure out the MD I am sure, how tough can it be with 3 dials, right? I did dump as a kid but we found surface dumps, I don't remember anyone that collected using metal detectors then but I was like 12 years old. Heck, I didn't know what a jspout, FBIR, or crowntainer(I probably saw these in the books I had but don't remember) even was until I reentered the hobby.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Ha, I suppose it came with instructions too. I never heard of anybody metal detecting until I got back into the hobby in the late 1980's. We graduated from pulling currents and recent obsoletes out of ditches and so forth, and found some common flats and cones in surface dumps when I was 13 or 14. Opportunity squandered . . .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”