Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 356
BCCA Number: 21234
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Ready to put action behind words- edited

Post by Dixie Dave »

I've been talking to quite a few of y'all at Canventions and at different shows, including the online ones, about wanting to join you to go dumping for several years now. As it so happens, I have a rare opportunity before me to actually hit the woods and do some dumping out-of-state.

Quick background: Last September, due to ongoing fiscal issues, I had to back out of going to Canvention, but not before I had reserved a flight on Southwest to get there because it was just too far to drive. Southwest wouldn't give me my money back, but I have credit with them to fly anywhere they go up to the amount I had paid for my airfare. I need to use this before the beginning of May.

A lot of you probably remember my traveling buddy who usually goes on these long trips with me. He told me recently that due to ongoing health issues, he was going to have to back out of our plans to use that airfare in March or April to go fly somewhere for a few days. Which leaves me with an interesting quandary.

I can either fly up to Spring Thaw for a few days, or go visit my sister in Maryland. OR..... I can join one or more of y'all for a few days hitting the woods looking for cans. I'm willing to travel to meet with you to go hunt cans for a few days. Probably going for Thursday to Monday in March or April, should be warm enough to go then most places, right? I just need to be within driving distance- like 2-3 hours at most- of somewhere Southwest flies to.

I would really enjoy getting to meet up with some of the Rusty Brothers to do some can hunting. Dream is to see a 30's dump- nothing here lasted that long outside even back in the 80's- or to find a bunch of cones- most of the few cones you find here are way too fried for oxalic or citric to restore. I would also really enjoy pit dumping- you don't bury anything here with our high water table. That looks like a lot of fun.

Anyone up for showing a Deep Southern boy who is used to seeing mainly Jax and cans that were mystery cans 20 years ago what a REAL dump looks like? PM me, email me at dixiedave45@gmail.com, or call me (I'm in the roster).

Let me add a few things- I know a lot of guys don't want to divulge where their spots are at, and I respect that. You have my word that I won't tell anyone where any dumps are that we find without your express approval. And one more thing- while I would love to find 30's dumps, I"m not asking you to show me your honey hole where you're pulling super-rare cans. If we find something like that, awesome. If not, I'm happy dumping 50's cans, so long as I'm adding something to the collection. And if we don't find anything? Hey, that happens sometimes. The thrill of the hunt is half the fun of dumping, and I'm cool with that too. I pay my own way, will share a hotel room if you don't mind snoring, and I'll find a way to get anything I find home.

Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
Kotto
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 4
BCCA Number: 20507
eBay name: jkottocans
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
Germany

Re: Ready to put action behind words- edited

Post by Kotto »

Man, I wish I had somewhere to take you Dave where we might have a chance of finding ANYTHING! I've only been able to get out a couple times a year for the past several years due to a busy work schedule, and I've come home empty handed on most of those trips. I'll never say that the Ozarks are "dumped out", but the days of coming home with boxes full of cans are probably over. The last time I found a decent 1930s dump was about four years ago, and prior to that, maybe ten years. They are rare beasts in this neck of the woods.

-John
Trade me your Lemp Brewery stuff!
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 356
BCCA Number: 21234
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

Kotto wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:46 pm Man, I wish I had somewhere to take you Dave where we might have a chance of finding ANYTHING! I've only been able to get out a couple times a year for the past several years due to a busy work schedule, and I've come home empty handed on most of those trips. I'll never say that the Ozarks are "dumped out", but the days of coming home with boxes full of cans are probably over. The last time I found a decent 1930s dump was about four years ago, and prior to that, maybe ten years. They are rare beasts in this neck of the woods.

-John
My Grandma lived outside of Lincoln, Missouri, and one of the first places I ever hunted for cans back when I was 14-15 was around her home. Found a few things, including an Ace Hi tab and Gluek Stite flat. Last time I dumped was around Meridian, MS and all we found was 70's cans. It's the thrill of the hunt for me. If we find something cool, that's a bonus. If I hunt a few days and find nothing, hey, I hunted and I tried. That's cool. I'm not necessarily asking you to bring me to your honey hole where you found mid 30's super-rare cans. I just want to get out and dump. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you don't. It's all fun.
Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
Longopener
RB Roster
RB Roster
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 417
BCCA Number: 29470
eBay name: Longopener
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Longopener »

If Frankenmuth Summerfest happens in July I'd suggest that... I assume that the airlines will extend your credit.

The Kottemans and I will be hitting Alanson in upper lower Michigan...it will be warm but the bugs won't be bad and we know where the cans are. We find something every time (good condition yellow Pfeiffers and probably some Drewrys OIs and perhaps some Old Bohemians.
"Although the cans will be of no value after opened, their cost is expected to be small..." Iowa: June 22, 1935

Why drive 12 hour one way to dig Pre-Tax Tru Blu ales, Genny 12 Horse Longopeners, Gamecock Ales, Apollos, Neuweilers Bock, and Krueger’s Baldies when you can locally drive 10 hours round trip and dig Pfeiffer, Goebel, Drewrys and Strohs?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Dumping Trips and Stories”