Toleware sprinkler

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

texascans
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 504
BCCA Number: 904
eBay name: Grand_Prize_Vintage
Year Started Collecting: 1971
Zodiac:

Toleware sprinkler

Post by texascans »

I’ve been reading about these for 20 years on this site & finally found one on a dollar table at my buddies antique shop!

Not sure if I am patient enough although I have to assume that this will come off easier than the paint overs that come from the canning companies. I’ll keep ya posted.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Fernandes - MOST WANTED TEXAS CANS - Southern Select J-Spout upgrade, , Grand Prize O/I with solid red circle (does it really exist???), Grand Prize "Premio Gordo"
BLindstrom
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1980

Re: Toleware sprinkler

Post by BLindstrom »

Cool Steve, I found one last year but it was a humidity damaged Falstaff. Hope you have better luck
Longopener
RB Roster
RB Roster
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 417
BCCA Number: 29470
eBay name: Longopener
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Longopener »

I predict a white Cardinal.

Whatever you do, DON’T USE RUBBING COMPOUND! The paint applied it too uneven.

You’ll need to use acetone. I believe Matt Menke (onefullquart?) has done many of these and has perfected the process. I bought a few toleware cans and depending on the paint over used, the end results using running compound can be horrendous.
"Although the cans will be of no value after opened, their cost is expected to be small..." Iowa: June 22, 1935

Why drive 12 hour one way to dig Pre-Tax Tru Blu ales, Genny 12 Horse Longopeners, Gamecock Ales, Apollos, Neuweilers Bock, and Krueger’s Baldies when you can locally drive 10 hours round trip and dig Pfeiffer, Goebel, Drewrys and Strohs?
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Australia

Post by menke »

Thanks Chris... not perfected, though. Candog I think has done it better. Black paint should be easy, some colors like green are a beeyotch.'

I have used rubbing compound with success, BUT only when you very selectively rub off the layered colors of the artwork. You basically use the background color to protect the label while you get all the layers off. If the background color doesn't hold up, though, you need a different technique.

A one-off project like this is tough since you don't have anything to practice and potentially fail with first.
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
Can Dr.
Cone Top
Cone Top

Post by Can Dr. »

Steve, Try non acetone nail polish remover first, It is much less harsh then acetone. I have done a handful, and when the paint can be removed with the non acetone the tole paint just comes right off with no harm to the paint below. However, I would say fewer, in my experience, have paint that comes off with non acetone.
jinsequa
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1037
BCCA Number: 34154
eBay name: Jinsequa
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jinsequa »

Try hot water and soap first. The last toleware can I found had a water based paint that came right off that way.
Eric Palmer
Ceskydup
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 248
BCCA Number: 19952
Year Started Collecting: 1961
United States of America

Post by Ceskydup »

menke wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:27 am Thanks Chris... not perfected, though. Candog I think has done it better. Black paint should be easy, some colors like green are a beeyotch.'

I have used rubbing compound with success, BUT only when you very selectively rub off the layered colors of the artwork. You basically use the background color to protect the label while you get all the layers off. If the background color doesn't hold up, though, you need a different technique.

A one-off project like this is tough since you don't have anything to practice and potentially fail with first.
Matt is being Modest! Matt cleaned up a 32oz Maier Whopper for me and did an awesome job! I always make sure he gets free beer from me at Craft beer night at CANvention!

Speaking of which.

CANvention 50! in ST. Louis.
CAN't wait!
Big "R"
agkg25220
Rust Master General
Rust Master General

Post by agkg25220 »

Lets see your results and good luck!
Art
Paul Nelson
Cone Top
Cone Top
Year Started Collecting: 2000
United States of America

Post by Paul Nelson »

Please please please start at the seam
Wisconsin collector plus anything else that's cool looking.
texascans
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:

Post by texascans »

Thanks for the inputs. Tried hot water & soap and non acetone nail polish remover on the bottom & didn't have much luck. After reading past posts and chatting with Matt about potential risks I'm just going to send it to him to work his magic. Cheers & Thank you for the offer Mr. Menke!
Steve Fernandes - MOST WANTED TEXAS CANS - Southern Select J-Spout upgrade, , Grand Prize O/I with solid red circle (does it really exist???), Grand Prize "Premio Gordo"
Can Dr.
Cone Top
Cone Top

Post by Can Dr. »

Steve,
I hope you get a winner. One thing that I forgot to mention, and no one else has is that there are some of these that the paint will not even budge with acetone, and I have not found the solvent yet. If we do I don't know how it will be on the cans paint.
Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Year Started Collecting: 1970

Post by Ziphippie »

Weren’t the black cans sold in a stripey box as a sprinkler can? Thought those were Cardinals like the Longopeener sez- Ziphippie
Onefineday
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Onefineday »

hover31 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:44 pm Weren’t the black cans sold in a stripey box as a sprinkler can? Thought those were Cardinals like the Longopeener sez- Ziphippie
I've had several of these over the years, and yes, they were mass produced as laundry sprinklers with this particular design and all the ones I've had turned out to be cardinal's.
Candog
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 222
BCCA Number: 24666
eBay name: Tcandog
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Candog »

So lets clarify a few things. "Toleware" items are self-produced pieces and were suggested to housewives through "Hints to Heloise" articles in the local newspapers. They were not mass produced. They were used to sprinkle clothes with water when Ironing. Housewives would buy the little sprinkler tops at the hardware store to fit on soda bottles. These bottles were heavy when filled with water, and the beer can was much lighter. Painting them black-green-white was the first step, then they would paint little flowers or use application decals.

Acetone will not hurt the paint on a can unless it is rusted underneath or used to "rub out" the can. Beware paying big bucks for these as they can be "faked" with a common beer or soda can underneath. I recently saw one for $99 on ebay. I find them for $3-10 at antique stores.

Not all painted over cans are beer cans. I did one for Ron Small that had nothing underneath. Also, not all paint will come off. Flat lacquers, Acrylic's, and Brush painted cans clean well, Enamel based spray painted cans do not. Doing the seams and under the rims can be a challenge, but there is a method to making it easier.

Yes. I taught Matt how to do this. He still uses my method, with his own little tweaks.
CANDOG

WANTED: I'm looking for the following Cone Tops: Gunther Ale, Carnegie HP, Travis LP, Dime J, Wacker J, Kuebler Bock J
texascans
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:

Post by texascans »

Thanks Tom - The Oracle has spoken!! Hope you had a great time at B/G.
Onefineday
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Onefineday »

Candog wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:19 pm So lets clarify a few things. "Toleware" items are self-produced pieces and were suggested to housewives through "Hints to Heloise" articles in the local newspapers. They were not mass produced. They were used to sprinkle clothes with water when Ironing. Housewives would buy the little sprinkler tops at the hardware store to fit on soda bottles. These bottles were heavy when filled with water, and the beer can was much lighter. Painting them black-green-white was the first step, then they would paint little flowers or use application decals.
That depends on your definition of mass produced. A housewife hand making one for their own use certainly is not mass produced, but these particular cans shown in this post someone had boxes made up for them and made at least a somewhat large quantity, judging by the large amounts that have survived the decades. They may have been available in retail outlets in said boxes or by mail order, all with the same design, all sprayed black and not brushed. By my definition this is mass production.

Mass production: the production or manufacture of goods in large quantities, especially by machinery.
Candog
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Candog »

Disagree. People make "Craft" items all the time. They are similar is design but not massed produced. If they were we would see them everywhere and we do not. They are hard to come by, and are typically located with other tole-painted items in antique stores. Find me two that look exactly alike and I might change my mind.
CANDOG

WANTED: I'm looking for the following Cone Tops: Gunther Ale, Carnegie HP, Travis LP, Dime J, Wacker J, Kuebler Bock J
DURTBAGG
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 152
BCCA Number: 23126
eBay name: Durtbagg
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by DURTBAGG »

I have seen two painted conetop sprinkle cans complete with the boxes they were packaged for sale in. Boxes were factory produced even having pics of the product so I agree with Onefineday. At least some were commercially produced for retail sale.

Onefineday wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:55 pm
Candog wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:19 pm So lets clarify a few things. "Toleware" items are self-produced pieces and were suggested to housewives through "Hints to Heloise" articles in the local newspapers. They were not mass produced. They were used to sprinkle clothes with water when Ironing. Housewives would buy the little sprinkler tops at the hardware store to fit on soda bottles. These bottles were heavy when filled with water, and the beer can was much lighter. Painting them black-green-white was the first step, then they would paint little flowers or use application decals.
That depends on your definition of mass produced. A housewife hand making one for their own use certainly is not mass produced, but these particular cans shown in this post someone had boxes made up for them and made at least a somewhat large quantity, judging by the large amounts that have survived the decades. They may have been available in retail outlets in said boxes or by mail order, all with the same design, all sprayed black and not brushed. By my definition this is mass production.

Mass production: the production or manufacture of goods in large quantities, especially by machinery.
Onefineday
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Onefineday »

I located a picture of one of these with the printed box but am unable to post it due to the board attachment limit has been reached?

Not sure if this refers to my personal limit or the limit of the board in general.
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

Onefineday wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:06 pm I located a picture of one of these with the printed box but am unable to post it due to the board attachment limit has been reached?

Not sure if this refers to my personal limit or the limit of the board in general.
@idigrust

Sounds like something is broken. I do not think individuals have limits on this site and if I recall correctly, this site is on some kind of nearly unlimited plan for storage.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

Nope, hit our limit, been battling this all day :)
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
Candog
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Candog »

Well, if Durt Bagg says he's seen them then I have to believe him. He's one of the most honest guys I know, even if he is a Durt Bagg.

I have probably had 20+ of these over the last 10 years, and I have never seen two the same. That includes cans turned into fishing bobbers, white and silver crowntainers, and two quarts used for oil spouts. I also have never seen a commercially produced box with one on it or in it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I hate it when my wife proves me wrong, and it is no different here. Dang Durt Bagg!
CANDOG

Onefineday
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Onefineday »

sprinklerwithbox.jpg
sprinklerwithbox.jpg (62.82 KiB) Viewed 8054 times
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Australia

Post by menke »

Ask and ye shall receive... can's been sitting on my desk for like a week now. I'll begin rubbing in 3...2...1...
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
DURTBAGG
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 152
BCCA Number: 23126
eBay name: Durtbagg
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by DURTBAGG »

Thanks for the pic Onefineday!!
That is exactly the box I have seen twice.
Baxter
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 282
BCCA Number: 877
Year Started Collecting: 1968
United States of America

Post by Baxter »

I had one of those, back when I collected cones only. Yes, it was a Cardinal. Only cleaned the front of the can. Left the back half with the black paint.
Anyone on here have my old can?

Baxter
BCCA877 RB282 IGU31
Onefineday
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Onefineday »

menke wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:15 pm Ask and ye shall receive... can's been sitting on my desk for like a week now. I'll begin rubbing in 3...2...1...
We have been waiting for the results now for 2 weeks, any updates?
BLindstrom
Cone Top
Cone Top

Post by BLindstrom »

Was there ever a reveal on this can?
Onefineday
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by Onefineday »

menke wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:15 pm Ask and ye shall receive... can's been sitting on my desk for like a week now. I'll begin rubbing in 3...2...1...
You must have been counting down in years, looks like only one more month before the rubbing begins!
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Australia

Post by menke »

Thanks for the nudge! Steve has been WAAAY too patient... here's an updated pic.
IMG_2478.jpg
I rubbed off the flower but Candog's magic treatment wouldn't touch the black undercoat. It is a Cardinal of course, in nice shape under there. I emailed Steve about sending it to someone else but must've ended up in his spam. Any suggestions other than slow, painful rubout?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”