Lucky Ale

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

HiJax
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 362
BCCA Number: 27944
eBay name: Pjack100
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Lucky Ale

Post by HiJax »

Given the recent auction results, I’m now inclined to explore the possibility of pulling my Lucky Ale off the shelf and offering it up for sale. I’ve had it for 20 years and love the can, but It’s just gathering dust here in Birmingham and probably needs to be in a collection out west where it belongs. Thoughts?
CE37B0C5-40E7-4504-A7BA-3B4773F06FD2.jpeg
A4DE3907-4727-417C-A962-BC07898584F2.jpeg
Attachments
510B3DDF-8A8F-4B68-BB87-E02C7F1C68FA.jpeg

Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Re: Lucky Ale

Post by Leon »

I was thinking the same thing when I seen that common Goebel get $800, I thought Dang for that price I'll pull mine out of my Personal Collection in the same Condition & sell it. Must of been the same guy that bought that $800 Miller. With your can though I've noticed a huge drop in price with offgrade cans compared to really clean indoor cans. If Morean Auction can got $9k Maybe $900 for yours? maybe $1500 (Rand the O/I expert should know) But I really have no Clue on a Lucky Ale like yours, Not to familiar with it & out of my collecting expertise. I did have like a grade 5 of that can before though. Think I got like $10 or $20 for it years ago. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
Brent Gesland
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 519
BCCA Number: 21117
eBay name: onestuff
Year Started Collecting: 1969

Post by Brent Gesland »

Since you said you have had this can for 20 yrs and LOVE IT I would not sell it. If you need the money I get It. If you want extra money to buy other cans than I get that also.

If later you have seller remorse (and I have) you will have a hard time to aquire another one. I bet every Rusty Bunch member has gone thru this pain of seller remorse or they are lying.

I wish you luck..

Brent G. :smt006
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

Leon wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:50 pm If Morean Auction can got $9k Maybe $900 for yours? maybe $1500 (Rand the O/I expert should know)
Not really.... I've been pretty up front on the fact that can pricing is a complete mystery to me. To be perfectly honest, that's one of the driving factors for my collection going on the auction block vs direct sales or ebay or something else....no idea how to price them. The results of the auction? A couple cans I got 800% of what I paid for them.....and on the other end, many of the cans I only got 25-30% of what I paid for them. With that said, it should be clear that my perspective of can values, based on the amount of after tax cash I was willing to fork over for them, is completely unreliable.

Rand :-)
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

Brent Gesland wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:59 am Since you said you have had this can for 20 yrs and LOVE IT I would not sell it.
Yes, what he said. If you love it, don't sell it even if doing so would allow you to get another can you would love. There are alternate ways to get cans you love that don't involve selling something you love.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
HiJax
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 362
BCCA Number: 27944
eBay name: Pjack100
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by HiJax »

I thought it was pretty cool that my Lucky Ale was canned on June 30, 1936 and the one on the Morean auction was canned the very next day on July 1, 1936.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Rand wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:31 am
Leon wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:50 pm If Morean Auction can got $9k Maybe $900 for yours? maybe $1500 (Rand the O/I expert should know)
Not really.... I've been pretty up front on the fact that can pricing is a complete mystery to me. To be perfectly honest, that's one of the driving factors for my collection going on the auction block vs direct sales or ebay or something else....no idea how to price them. The results of the auction? A couple cans I got 800% of what I paid for them.....and on the other end, many of the cans I only got 25-30% of what I paid for them. With that said, it should be clear that my perspective of can values, based on the amount of after tax cash I was willing to fork over for them, is completely unreliable.

Rand :-)
Pricing is a total Mystery to me also. I sold Rand my Rolled Lucky can on ebay for $300. He then Sold it on Moreans Auction site for $200. The guy that bought it from Moreans Auction quickly put it up on ebay where it got $600 :smt017 :smt012 :smt021 . So whats this can worth? $200 or $300 or $600? :smt017
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
Plusonegolfer
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1971
United States of America

Post by Plusonegolfer »

Can values are established in the eyes of the beholder. Th very rare stuff is expensive but there is never a guarantee that a $15,000 can will trade for that number in the future. Over a long period of time, very rare cans (say 6 or less known) tend to maintain or increase in value - at least they have based on my 48 years of on/off collecting.

Where this conversation gets the most interesting is for cans like a Lubeck versus a Green/Brown Brown Derby. I have a unique A1+ version of a Lubeck, but it looks just like all the others... The Brown Derby is unique in that it’s the only ongrade version not underneath a paper label. As a rule, both are unique, but one is worth twice the other...just the way it is, I guess...
Plusonegolfer
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1971
United States of America

Post by Plusonegolfer »

Just asking, how many super clean Lucky Ale’s are known?
Beamer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 800
eBay name: beamer911
United States of America

Post by Beamer »

Plusonegolfer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:02 pm Just asking, how many super clean Lucky Ale’s are known?
You picked up one heck of a can. A real beauty!
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Plusonegolfer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:02 pm Just asking, how many super clean Lucky Ale’s are known?

Don't know about the Lucky Ale but I know until I had my 3 Lucky's rolled there was zero, none, nada, clean indoor known. seems like with only 3 clean rolled ones known it should be worth more then $200.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”