I-7 Openers

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

John H.
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

I-7 Openers

Post by John H. »

I just picked up an I-7 opener from Feigenspan to bring with me to the South Lake Tahoe show so people can bottom open any cans I'm bringing, and it brought up a question. How many known I-7 openers are there? Do they all have a brewery name on them or are there any with no brewery name on it? Which breweries made the I-7 opener? Thanks!

John H.

pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: I-7 Openers

Post by pinnacle-project »

I do not know much about the different names of openers. What distinguishes an I-7 opener? This is the only opener I have. I know it is older than most because it is heavy duty and has a larger cutting surface but I have no idea if it is an I-7.

FoxDeluxeOpener.jpg
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
Ed Johnson
Rust Master
Rust Master
Year Started Collecting: 1983
United States of America

Post by Ed Johnson »

There have been a few threads on the I-7 over the years - This is the one I came up with before bed:

https://www.therustybunch.com/phpBB3/vi ... st#p117391

And found another link - might be another somewhere on here that breaks down all the I-7's by rarity:

https://www.therustybunch.com/phpBB3/vi ... sy#p117564

These are very popular with collectors as they coincide with the OI beer can era. Some of them are very tough to find and bring some decent money. Feigenspan, Pabst (several versions), Ruppert, and Ballantine are among the easier ones running $1 to $5 at retail.

I am still looking for Roger Williams Ale, and a Union Cream ale example from Rhode Island - both are rare as teeth on Rhode Island red chickens!
Wanted: Hartford Connecticut Breweriana for my collection.....
CrustyRusty
Rust Master
Rust Master
Year Started Collecting: 1998
United States of America

Post by CrustyRusty »

Ed Johnson wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:19 pm There have been a few threads on the I-7 over the years - This is the one I came up with before bed:

https://www.therustybunch.com/phpBB3/vi ... st#p117391

And found another link - might be another somewhere on here that breaks down all the I-7's by rarity:

https://www.therustybunch.com/phpBB3/vi ... sy#p117564

These are very popular with collectors as they coincide with the OI beer can era. Some of them are very tough to find and bring some decent money. Feigenspan, Pabst (several versions), Ruppert, and Ballantine are among the easier ones running $1 to $5 at retail.

I am still looking for Roger Williams Ale, and a Union Cream ale example from Rhode Island - both are rare as teeth on Rhode Island red chickens!
I guess I'm confused, and will admit that I'm no expert on early openers, but, the "Beer Can Bible" states that the first openers were the patent pending Canco openers that measure just under 5 1/2" which I own two of, I also have an early Canco "For beer cans marked Keglined" with no breweries listed on it that measures 4 7/8", kinda wondering if it isn't the second version prior to breweries putting the name on openers like it shortly after this version, also, as per the second link you provided in post #6 by danielj, he shows an image that I've added here showing a much smaller opener as the I-7 openers, so which ones were the earliest and this so called I-7? I personally feel the big 5 1/2" patent pending openers are really the first, but did any of those come with any brewery listing on them?
s-l1600.jpg
DSC02239.JPG
burgiedave
Cone Top
Cone Top
Year Started Collecting: 1976
United States of America

Post by burgiedave »

Page 55 of Just For Openers: Can piercers were invented in 1932 for opening other containers with liquid. With creation of the beer can demand significantly increased. Combination cap lifter/piercers became a necessity of life. There are slight variations in length as width. Some openers are copper, nickel, cadmium, chromate or brass plated.
Sorta like Ford, General Motors and Chrysler. Get you where you wanna go but with slightly different punches.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”