Dumping in NE Maryland

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

MarkB
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 547
BCCA Number: 13056
eBay name: redsfan323
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:

Dumping in NE Maryland

Post by MarkB »

Hi all. A dumping buddy (Hi Jon!) from Massachusetts is going to be in NE Maryland (Elkhart) and asked me if there were good areas to go digging up there. I've never been up there so I am tossing it out here. Jon has been very generous in sharing his dump sites in Mass for RBers going up there.

MarkB

My Heurich biography! http://www.rustycans.com/BOOK.htm
Jon
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1985
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Dumping in NE Maryland

Post by Jon »

Thanks Mark, for the assist. Actually it’ll be a quick visit to Elkridge. Happy 4th to all.
Monster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1108
Zodiac:
Poland

Post by Monster »

MarkB wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:12 am Hi all. A dumping buddy (Hi Jon!) from Massachusetts is going to be in NE Maryland (Elkhart) and asked me if there were good areas to go digging up there. I've never been up there so I am tossing it out here. Jon has been very generous in sharing his dump sites in Mass for RBers going up there.

MarkB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Mark, for the assist. Actually it’ll be a quick visit to Elkridge. Happy 4th to all.
The only areas close to Elkridge that may be a possibility would be along Furnace Rd. to Ridge Rd. to River Rd. (left off Ridge) to Race Rd. (right off Furnace). The main drawbacks being: much of it is flood plain, much of it is privately owned, some of it, south along Race goes through some "hinky" regions. I've hiked and mt. biked through most of it and did find all kinds of wrecks, ruins and rust, but that was in the era of my life when I wasn't in can-hunt'n mode. I can say that I never thoroughly explored any of it though.

Just north of Elkridge is Patapsco State Park. I've been all over that place, from Avalon all the way to Sykesville, branched up along Liberty Reservoir and Piney Run, again hiking, mt. biking, rock climbing. I never found a dump that wasn't crusty besides one. I would guess that it's still there, on private property however and scattered up a steep hill through some serious rust (read cars, trucks, old construction equipment). That one is close to Sykesville. So much of the rest of Patapsco has been "cleaned" up...stupid environmentalists :smt021

I do know of a surface dump just north of the PA. line. It is on private property that's posted. It is still there but my father and I hit that one pretty hard in the late 70's.

If you're interested, I'd be happy to PM exact locations. I'm reluctant to post the info on the privately owned lands in an open post.

One last region that's nearby, ALL of Baltimore City is a dump...just not the sort you're looking for ;)
Jon
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Jon »

Great info, the area you describe is exactly where I’m going, I’m attending an event at Elkridge Furnace Inn on corner of Furnace and Race. Not sure if I’ll have time to look around or not, but your info, Monster, was outstanding.
Monster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
Poland

Post by Monster »

Jon wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:17 am Great info, the area you describe is exactly where I’m going, I’m attending an event at Elkridge Furnace Inn on corner of Furnace and Race. Not sure if I’ll have time to look around or not, but your info, Monster, was outstanding.
Right on!

Great inn, nice atmosphere, good food the one time we chowed down there.

Also, if you don't wanna sweat in the humid Md rain forests, and you have some free time to kill try here;

http://www.us1fleamarket.nova-antiques.com/

It's really close to where you're staying, may offer up some interesting finds. Who knows, we haven't been in that neck of the hood for many years.
Jon
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Jon »

Didn’t have much time but jumped in to some woods along Race Rd. wearing my nice dressed-up pants and shoes and gave it a try. All I wanted was a Natty Boh, lol. You weren’t kidding about Maryland rainforests, lol. Had fun, thanks for info, your info was outstanding.
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Australia

Post by menke »

Ditto on the Patapsco state park area (lived in catonsville in the 90's back when I was single and had time). Hurricane Agnes wiped out whatever hasn't been bulldozed for development since the days of the flat top. Nice walk, though.
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
Monster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
Poland

Post by Monster »

menke wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:04 am Ditto on the Patapsco state park area (lived in catonsville in the 90's back when I was single and had time). Hurricane Agnes wiped out whatever hasn't been bulldozed for development since the days of the flat top. Nice walk, though.
@menke
Catonsville where? We lived in da' hood, just north of Ten Hills, brick row-homes. We were right on the inskirts or borderland between ghetto and an not-quite-ghetto (no such thing as outskirts) inside the Baldymoor beltway. Outer Catonsville used to be pretty okay. I did dump some great bottles and typical Md. rust between Thistle Rd. and God's Country Patapsco Park.
Monster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
Poland

Post by Monster »

Jon wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 am Didn’t have much time but jumped in to some woods along Race Rd. wearing my nice dressed-up pants and shoes and gave it a try. All I wanted was a Natty Boh, lol. You weren’t kidding about Maryland rainforests, lol. Had fun, thanks for info, your info was outstanding.
Glad to have been of some use :smt023
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Australia

Post by menke »

Monster, if you've been there a while I'm surprised you never smelled the oxalic coming off my balcony! I used to soak cans on my third floor balcony and drag the hose up from the ground with a rope. That was on Plymouth Ave, up the hill from that little dive Italian place Ciaffalo's. I got food poisoning from a chicken parm sub and never went back. Also conveniently a quick trip to Super Liquor. There were some dodgy spots, for sure. I dug a few milk bottles and junk cans on the UMBC campus, part that was built over the old dairy. My mom is now at Charlestowne, which was a Colts training facility back in the day. I figure there ought to be some cans in the attics of the older buildings since those were football players then, not athletes.

The first cans I ever saw in Catonsville where in Ray Knisley's collection- I cold called him when I moved there since he also lived in Catonsville (the better part).
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Catonian here too.... Edmonson Ave, Fredrick RD, Oella, Westchester Elementery......any of those ring a bell.... lol
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
Monster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
Poland

Post by Monster »

menke wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:26 am Monster, if you've been there a while I'm surprised you never smelled the oxalic coming off my balcony! I used to soak cans on my third floor balcony and drag the hose up from the ground with a rope. That was on Plymouth Ave, up the hill from that little dive Italian place Ciaffalo's. I got food poisoning from a chicken parm sub and never went back. Also conveniently a quick trip to Super Liquor. There were some dodgy spots, for sure. I dug a few milk bottles and junk cans on the UMBC campus, part that was built over the old dairy. My mom is now at Charlestowne, which was a Colts training facility back in the day. I figure there ought to be some cans in the attics of the older buildings since those were football players then, not athletes.

The first cans I ever saw in Catonsville where in Ray Knisley's collection- I cold called him when I moved there since he also lived in Catonsville (the better part).
Cool! We were neighbors then. We were on Garmouth, facing the "park". We experienced the neighborhood as it went from good to hood in a few very short years. We did sell just before the bubble burst, so happy we were.

Our last evening there, we didn't want to move the Uhaul or our vehicles and lose the prime moving spots. All our crap (kitchen stuff too) was boxed up so we went to Ciaffalo's for a "last meal" in da'hood...YOOOGE mistake! It was only our second time we ate there in 14+ years and it was memorable but not in a good way. At least we didn't pack up all of the TP.

Was Ray Knisley an older gent that lived just behind Westchester ele.? I knew (still do) that guy's next door neighbors and they said it was a huge collection. I never got to see it. Or does that mean there was another major collector in that region?
Monster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
Poland

Post by Monster »

willssoda wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:52 pm Catonian here too.... Edmonson Ave, Fredrick RD, Oella, Westchester Elementery......any of those ring a bell.... lol
Heh! I know 'em all, though I grew up elsewhere. Almost all of the cool old places in Oella have turned into upscale uber-millenial-condo-cribs. We did a sneak through that giant old brick mill building before they turned it into the hipster-housing. It was pretty boring actually, nothing like you'd expect.

We did live in in that old Plantation house on Thistle for nine months, assuming you know of it. The wifey had an apartment there before we got married.

Also we were this close ---><--- to buying one of the Short Bricks on Oella Ave. We couldn't go through in the end as a 15' wide house too much like a closet with big dreams. Foolish us. The asking price then was $125,000. I don't even want to look at what they were selling for in 2008 or even now. :smt004

Also-also, did you ever wander around through that creepy "little" house with all the creepy little out-buildings on River Rd.?

Here's a pick;
Attachments
P1140413 - Copy.jpg
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Funny cause when I lived there in the late 70’s early 80’s that’s where the poor people lived. Lol
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
Baxter
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 282
BCCA Number: 877
Year Started Collecting: 1968
United States of America

Post by Baxter »

Menke, Thanks for the shout out. I moved to Catonsville in 1979. Still live in the same house on Hilton Ave.
Monster, Maybe the guy near Westchester Elem is Bill Tydings. He lives in Charlestown now.

Here's a local dumping story. Back in 1973, just west of the Baltimore Beltway (695) exit 15, Baltimore National Pike (Route 40), first right, maybe 100 yards from 695, right turn onto Lincoln Ave, I found a pile of red Natty Boh flat tops and a few black Natty Boh Bock flat tops. They were real clean. Took them to the CANvention in Cincinnati in 1973 and traded for hundreds of cans. Kept the best one of each for my collection.

Ray Knisley
BCCA877 RB282 IGU31
aka Baxter
MarkB
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 547
BCCA Number: 13056
eBay name: redsfan323
Zodiac:

Post by MarkB »

thanks guys! One of these days I'll have to try dumping in MD. Been to the Eastern shore twice without a great deal of luck. Lots and lots of Pabst OIs. Did find a decent Krueger Beer cone just over into Delaware with Tim Clark once.

MarkB
My Heurich biography! http://www.rustycans.com/BOOK.htm
Monster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
Poland

Post by Monster »

Baxter wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:37 am Menke, Thanks for the shout out. I moved to Catonsville in 1979. Still live in the same house on Hilton Ave.
Monster, Maybe the guy near Westchester Elem is Bill Tydings. He lives in Charlestown now.

Here's a local dumping story. Back in 1973, just west of the Baltimore Beltway (695) exit 15, Baltimore National Pike (Route 40), first right, maybe 100 yards from 695, right turn onto Lincoln Ave, I found a pile of red Natty Boh flat tops and a few black Natty Boh Bock flat tops. They were real clean. Took them to the CANvention in Cincinnati in 1973 and traded for hundreds of cans. Kept the best one of each for my collection.

Ray Knisley
BCCA877 RB282 IGU31
aka Baxter
I checked with my friends, and it was Bill. I've only been in the area a few times in the last decade. I'm sorry I missed it.

I guess I missed that one by about 20 years. Danged luck of the not-entirely-Irish!
Monster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
Poland

Post by Monster »

MarkB wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:50 pm thanks guys! One of these days I'll have to try dumping in MD. Been to the Eastern shore twice without a great deal of luck. Lots and lots of Pabst OIs. Did find a decent Krueger Beer cone just over into Delaware with Tim Clark once.

MarkB
I wish there were more places lest to dump. I only know if a few possibilities, one being small and 70's in content. The few others, still unexplored. We did have a load of luck in the region between I95 to Rt. 40 and towards the upper Chesapeake, just south of Northeast Md. We targeted that are due to the glut of fishing, hunting and the Aberdeen Proving Grounds. A spot along Belvidere Rd. coughed up all of my Esslinger party Quiz cans, tabs and flats in the same pile along with a few of the Natty Boh Colts.

If and when you ever drop in the are, pm me and I'll make time to go out. I don't dump seriously due to having no one to do it with and not wanting to take risks in "remote" places filled with glass, snakes and hooligans.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”