To Re-lid or not?

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

canman65
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 617
BCCA Number: 26989
eBay name: canman65
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

To Re-lid or not?

Post by canman65 »

IMO re-lidding a can, with the wrong lid, and then leaving teeth marks is like a Yankee's hat on Big Poppy.. It just doesn't look good. I like the lid-less cans in my collection, teeth marks and all. I understand the repair people and what they do. But I always think of the guy/gal who drank out of a can with gear marks, as a tough and thirsty son of a gun... what do you think? :smt023

pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: To Re-lid or not?

Post by pinnacle-project »

I do not like putting replacement lids on cans. I like them all original. I also do not like air cans that never contained beer. I want something that at some point in history was filled at the brewery and emptied by the consumer.

Regarding your comment about lidless cans, the first thought that comes to my mind is the guys who used them in their shops to hold nails and such.

However, I know others feel differently about lids and I am perfectly okay enjoying somebody else's collection if it contains cans with new lids.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
Tom Clark
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 48
BCCA Number: 17611
eBay name: milesclarkco
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Tom Clark »

I have some lidless cans in my collection and while I would prefer they had the correct lid I'm just goes to keep them the way the are.
canhawk
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 879
BCCA Number: 32975
eBay name: jeffd1637
Year Started Collecting: 1974
United States of America

Post by canhawk »

I also like lidless cans with evidence someone removed the entire lid with an opener, leaving the openers' gear marks tucked up under the rim. The can may have been reused for a workbench container or temporary kitchen container or who knows what, but it prolonged the life of the can and kept it out of the trash!
Jeff Dankert, Peru, IL
12 oz Midwest beer cans (Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri)
Woody
Rust Master General
Rust Master General

Post by Woody »

I would take a lidless can with teeth marks any day of the week, over a can with the wrong lid. With, or without the teeth marks. In my opinion, there is nothing worst than looking at a 30's can with a 50's lid on it. If you do have the need to relid a can, at the very least, it should be the proper vintage with the matching condition to the can. You don't want to put a very clean 30's lid on a grade 2 30's can for example. And I would think that if you desire to punch the can, then you should use the proper opener as well. Just my opinion...........
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

One more vote for not modifying cans. They are only ever in the condition you get them that one time. Everything that's done to them from lids to touch up to lacquer to etc etc etc takes them further and further from the original. I never did anything to any of my OIs including soaking.
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

It's funny - we've had this discussion here several times, almost everybody comes down on the side of "leave it the way it is", and all the dealers will tell you they can't sell a can that doesn't have a lid.

I've got one can (that I know about) with a new lid, and it's a can I'd never seen available and am very unlikely to see available again. It would have been at least 50% more if it was all-original, and I would have paid it gladly.

I can see removing and replacing a lid if a can is badly dented, but putting a new lid on a can with gear marks doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Marc
canhawk
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 879
BCCA Number: 32975
eBay name: jeffd1637
Year Started Collecting: 1974
United States of America

Post by canhawk »

For me, a lid missing because it was removed by the consumer isn't bothersome, it's part of its pre-collector history. If I knew a can had a lid removed by the collector (does this ever happen?) I would not want it.
Jeff Dankert, Peru, IL
12 oz Midwest beer cans (Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”