My 2 week treasure hunt

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

beerhunter14
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1121
BCCA Number: 32460
Year Started Collecting: 2004
Zodiac:
United States of America

My 2 week treasure hunt

Post by beerhunter14 »

Since I had to cancel my trip to Texas as I wanted to go to the Shiner Show and visit my mother and her boyfriend. So on April 19, I have to drive down to Lower Michigan, near Indiana border, for a funeral (Memorial Service for my mother boyfriend (which is on April 23. ) While I was in Michigan, On April 20, I hit couple of Antiques stores. As I was looking for antique furniture hardware such as drawer pull also with some beer stuff. At one store, I seen a pre-pro beer stein, South Bend brewing for 125.00. I pass it up and I didn’t buy anything that day.
Easter Day was a rare day. Calm wind and warm weather and looking out on Lake Michigan. Monday, another warm day , hit couple more antiques store and one liquid store near Benton Harbor but I didn’t buy anything. The only things I brought in Michigan is a craft beer. But it not the one I’m looking for. There is a couple of things, I notice while I was in Michigan. Most of the time it always been so windy. There is a lot of grape and hops grower that use for wine and beer!!!! Other things, I notice the road are bad !! when driving the back road!
On Wednesday, heading back to Wisconsin near Milwaukee. While I was heading to Milwaukee, I stop couple more antique store. At one antique store, I finally found some old hardware furniture drawer pull. Arrive near Milwaukee. Spend 2 days there with my friend (my Classmate) Unfortunately, No Brewer game in town. So, what to do?? Head more Antiques stores, Brewery store, Liquid store (Try to find craft beer with a wildlife theme on it and I only found one.) and Estate sale. I didn’t buy anything at the Antique store, or Brewery store- A Top of the line breweriana stuff. But I did buy something at 2 Estate sales. Brought some tools and those old photos. See my other thread,” Military men and women drinking.” And another photo with some pre-pro stuff, Sorry no photo of it. At Estate sales, have some breweriana stuff there but the price was a little bit too high.The prices were a little too high were those old Schiltz cooler, Schiltz sign- Plastic with a globe ,small little folding Miller High Life chair.
Friday, April 26, I stop of couple more of antique store on my way to Green Bay TAT beer show. I didn’t buy anything at the antique store, but I did buy some cans at the Green Bay TAT show. I didn’t stay long at the show as I have other things to attend an event the next day. After events, I hit couple more antique store in Minnesota, buy nothing, arrive home Saturday evening exhausted.
On Sunday, April 28, I heard there were local event gun show, I decided to go there and take along a antique gun for appraisal. Now things start getting interesting. While I was browsing thru old gun, at one table there was selling some beer and soda cans along with some gun., which is rare see beer cans at the gun show!!! Except for Billy beer. So I pick 3. Those are Donald Duck Root Beer, Graft orange juice top and Great Falls Sick FT. Once I paid him, he said “Have more in the truck” So off I went to see more can he have in the truck, once he showed the can totes. I noticed That can tote design I never seen before. Once he opened the tote, first things I see, is Pabst Bock OI, my eyes light up. So, I brought all those. Best condition is the Bosch. Once I brought the tote, He said “Have some cone top at home”. 3 days later stop over his house looking through the cans he has. I was hoping he have Arrowhead, Grain Belt friendly ale, Schmidt Elk zip top etc. or more of those Pabst Bock OI., Once arrive, Boy, does he have a lot of cans. Once I looking through his cans, most of the cans were not in good shape, most cans were graded 4,5,6,7 some are grade 3 so I tried to pick the best one. I stated asking question, such as When he started collection, He said 1974-76 and stop collection in the 1980’. He said, most of the cans he got was found by dumping and trading. At one point have found a dumping ground 15 feet diameter, 5 feet deep. Most of the dumping ground he found were in Minnesota, Northern Wis, and Upper Michigan. No wonder why he has so many cans duplicate. like 4 case of Northern (Yellow) 4 case of Fitger cone top, USBC 162-21& 22. I was looking for the one with white letter, 162-18-20 but didn’t find any. So, I tried to pick the best condition, include lid, but the problem is some of the best condition cans are dented!!!!!!!!!!!
I spend over 2 hrs. looking over his thousand cans. Unfortunately, No Arrowhead, Badger OI, Grain Belt Friendly Ale, or Schmidt Elk Zip top, but pick out all the Pabst Bock OI I could find. And these I pick these out of thousand cans.
Once I paid him the cans I pick out, He said, “May have more somewhere if know where to put it “So I’m waiting for a phone call once he find more cans.
Later that week, I attend another brewerina show in LaCrosse. I had a table and sold some breweriana stuff but then again, I even brought couple of breweriana sign. So I did good there.
Overall review, I put a lot of mileage on the trip, attended 15 Antique store, 2 Estate Sales, 2 Liquid store, 2 breweriana show. Thank for Cell phone, I would never find the place!! I don’t know what the Best, Estate Sales or The Gun Show Cans. At least I brought some antique drawer pull, but still looking for other. But overall it was good.
I give out the list of certain cans that are interesting. Some of the cans are OI and some just interesting. Try to goes by Alphabets order.
Atlas Prayer OI – Lilek 201
Budweiser OI - Lilek 144
Coke- FT- 10 oz- Toronto, Canada
Colt 45 Malt Lager-12&16 oz- Baltimore( I wish it was Detroit )
Drewery Lager OI – Lilek 201
Drewery – PT- U-tab- Chicago
Donald Duck- Minimum Contents
Fox Deluxe OI- Chicago- Lilek Supplement 302A
Goebel Gold Label OI- Lilek Supplement 342- This is mind blogging took me awhile which one. !!
Goebel Bock- Detroit ,MI
Hamm’s OI- Lilek 378
Hawaiian Sun- PT- Paper label but it upsidedown,unless they made it that way ??
Mason Ginger Ale- 10oz- Canada- Unusual OI on the lid
Meister Brau OI- Lilek 526
Pabst Bock OI- Lilek 664
Prima OI- Lilek 696
White Horse OI- Lilek 875
Some of the cans I plan keeping till I get an upgrade one and Some of the cans plan to sell at later date. But first , I see if I can clean some up and how it turn out and won’t be all of them. Meanwhile, I am still going on the treasure hunt through the summer. Looking for antique furniture hardware and of course breweriana stuff.

This is my first time writing this and took me some time doing it.So bare with me. I'm not a prefect writer.
Attachments
Pick 1, The Gun Show Cans
Pick 1, The Gun Show Cans
Antique Can Tote
Antique Can Tote
Pick 2, The Gun Show Cans
Pick 2, The Gun Show Cans
Pick 3 ,The Gun Show Cans
Pick 3 ,The Gun Show Cans
unusual OI  on lid -
unusual OI on lid -
IMG_0008.JPG
Upsidesown ?? It paper label, Don't know if they made it that way
Upsidesown ?? It paper label, Don't know if they made it that way

Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Re: My 2 week treasure hunt

Post by Leon »

Congrats, some nice cans in there. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
beerhunter14
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by beerhunter14 »

Thanks Leon
kruegerbock
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 775
BCCA Number: 10480
eBay name: kruegerbock
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by kruegerbock »

Gold Richbraus are nice.
-Al Aprea
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

That Stite with the Black Line of Text on Top is a Toughie!!...That Schlitz is a nice one too! :smt023
Collector of Wisconsin Cans.Looking for Pabst Bock Zip from Milwaukee.Milwaukee Valley,Rib Mountian and any Gettelman Picnic Series Cans in Grade 2/2- that held Beer.
canman65
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 617
BCCA Number: 26989
eBay name: canman65
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by canman65 »

Nice finds!!
beerhunter14
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by beerhunter14 »

mrlager- The Stite can is a FT and I'm keeping that one. Schilitz have a 1949 date on it but didn't realize there is a variation of it. I do have one but I going to double check on it.
krugerbock- Yes, Richbraus have some gold on it but also rust and hunidity spot
I forgot to post a picture of a craft beer I brought in Michigan
Attachments
Only craft beer I brought in Michigan.
Only craft beer I brought in Michigan.
WISCONSINCANMAN
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 28151
eBay name: Wisconsincanman
United States of America

Post by WISCONSINCANMAN »

Nice find, good story too, congrats ! Your Pabst Bocks are awesome, should clean up nice !
Wisconsin cans wanted!!!

Trade me your Wisconsin cans, my most wanted, Old Wisconsin
DanielinAk
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Year Started Collecting: 2015
United States of America

Post by DanielinAk »

Wow fantastic. Had fun ready your adventures back and forth. Congrats on the cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beerhunter14
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by beerhunter14 »

Thanks !!!
DURTBAGG
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 152
BCCA Number: 23126
eBay name: Durtbagg
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by DURTBAGG »

Guess we’ll all start hitting gun shows!!
Hotrodder
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1083
BCCA Number: 5856
eBay name: fueler1
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Hotrodder »

Will any of the Pabst bocks be avalible?
If so I would love one!
beerhunter14
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by beerhunter14 »

LOL- Durtbagg- You never know what you going to find.As they sell gun oil can, antique shell boxes etc. and once in awhile some breweriana stuff. Most common you will see is Billy Beer Cans or M.A.S. H. but rarely Flat Top Cans.
Hotrodder- Yes, I may sell some of the Pabst Bock but it will be at later date.
beerhunter14
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by beerhunter14 »

LOL- Durtbagg- You never know what you going to find.As they sell gun oil can, antique shell boxes etc. and once in awhile some breweriana stuff. Most common you will see is Billy Beer Cans or M.A.S. H. but rarely Flat Top Cans.
Hotrodder- Yes, I may sell some of the Pabst Bock but it will be at later date.
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

beerhunter14 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:43 pm mrlager- The Stite can is a FT and I'm keeping that one. Schilitz have a 1949 date on it but didn't realize there is a variation of it. I do have one but I going to double check on it.
krugerbock- Yes, Richbraus have some gold on it but also rust and hunidity spot
I forgot to post a picture of a craft beer I brought in Michigan

I would keep the Stite too!!....You don't see that one very often if at all!....I have both the 12 and 8oz. of that Can.....Nice find! :smt023 :shock:
Collector of Wisconsin Cans.Looking for Pabst Bock Zip from Milwaukee.Milwaukee Valley,Rib Mountian and any Gettelman Picnic Series Cans in Grade 2/2- that held Beer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”