dumping in Illinois

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

breaus6
Pull Tab
Pull Tab
Answers: 0
Year Started Collecting: 2016
United States of America

dumping in Illinois

Post by breaus6 »

Hi, can anyone tell me if there are any dump sites around the Joliet Illinois area. I started collecting again a couple years back. I have been a rusty bunch member for a couple of years now, and really enjoy it. any hints on what to look for when searching for a dump. thanks Keith

pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: dumping in Illinois

Post by pinnacle-project »

I have not been dumping in 40 years but there are plenty of people here who should be able to give you some advice. Dumping in Illinois should be pretty much like most other states.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
DaveNH
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1016
BCCA Number: 6727
eBay name: drt1r5
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by DaveNH »

Keith:

Not sure if there are any dumps in the Joliet area as I live in NH, but I can give you a little advice and make some suggestions based on what I do.

1. Research, research, research
2. There's no magic formula
3. You have to get outside and look
4. Go to the local diner and/or town gathering place and ask old timers
5. Old topo maps from the 1930's to 1960's are a great way to see where people lived back in the day. Look for little squares along roads, rivers and especially lakes. Check out this link https://store.usgs.gov/ and go to "Map Locator" and type in Joliet, IL. Then scroll down to an older map and click save as a PDF to your computer, tablet and/or mobile phone. Then you can view the map.
6. Google Earth is a great "current day" frame of reference for what's there now. It's a great tool to see if that house/cabin on the 1940's map is still there.
7. Look for places where people went back in the day (hunting/fishing cabins, lakes, etc.)
8. Old town dumps were typically +/- 1/4 mile outside of town. Many of these have been cleaned up and lined and capped, but you never know.
9. Dirt two track roads off state routes into the woods are always worth checking out
10. Turn offs with steep banks are great to check as the trash would be thrown over and it would be out of sight.

Good luck hunting.
Thanks. Dave
Monster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1108
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
Poland

Post by Monster »

DaveNH wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:58 pm Keith:

Not sure if there are any dumps in the Joliet area as I live in NH, but I can give you a little advice and make some suggestions based on what I do.

1. Research, research, research
2. There's no magic formula
3. You have to get outside and look
4. Go to the local diner and/or town gathering place and ask old timers
5. Old topo maps from the 1930's to 1960's are a great way to see where people lived back in the day. Look for little squares along roads, rivers and especially lakes. Check out this link https://store.usgs.gov/ and go to "Map Locator" and type in Joliet, IL. Then scroll down to an older map and click save as a PDF to your computer, tablet and/or mobile phone. Then you can view the map.
6. Google Earth is a great "current day" frame of reference for what's there now. It's a great tool to see if that house/cabin on the 1940's map is still there.
7. Look for places where people went back in the day (hunting/fishing cabins, lakes, etc.)
8. Old town dumps were typically +/- 1/4 mile outside of town. Many of these have been cleaned up and lined and capped, but you never know.
9. Dirt two track roads off state routes into the woods are always worth checking out
10. Turn offs with steep banks are great to check as the trash would be thrown over and it would be out of sight.

Good luck hunting.
Now that is how you answer a question!
canhawk
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 879
BCCA Number: 32975
eBay name: jeffd1637
Year Started Collecting: 1974
United States of America

Post by canhawk »

The current pool of dumpers in Illinois has dwindled because of poor can preservation due to soil conditions. However, there are some cans and dumps out there. In addition to DaveNH's list, I will add to stay within wooded corridors along streams and rivers and look for junk in the woods off a road. Many states now have old aerial maps online. Here is the link to Illinois aerials from 1937-1947.
http://clearinghouse.isgs.illinois.edu/ ... hotography
Jeff Dankert, Peru, IL
12 oz Midwest beer cans (Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”