O Canada

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

stringsx24now
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 309
BCCA Number: 26795
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

O Canada

Post by stringsx24now »

Thinking about Canada lately. Don't really know why. Had some beer related Canadian questions for the group. Mostly just curiousity….
1. It has been well documented that the US is at or above the previous all time high of number of breweries in the country--well over 4000, probably approaching 5000. Has the craft/microbrewery craze spread to Canada as much? Are there breweries in each little town/city up there like here? So how many breweries are in Canada now?
2. Dumping: one occasionally hears about dumping in Canada, but not much. Are there not prime areas up there to dump as well? Or is it just a numbers game: fewer people to drink less beer plus fewer of us to look for beer cans in the ground? Or were they enviornmentally concerned way before us and did not bury their trash?

3. Canadian cones are cool. Were they distributed throughout the country, or were they more regional? When (what year) was the first Canadian beer can, and what was it?

4. What is the Holy Grail of Canadian cans?

5. Are there still as many Canadian collectors as there was, or are they diminishing in numbers and activities like in the US?

collector of Sick's Select, Senate, and Congress cans and breweriana; beer bags; as well as other fun stuff
Looking for Schuster Brewing of Rochester, MN items and Meyer Brewing of Bloomington, IL

Shows attended in 2024:
LaCrosse, WI show, January
Freeze Your Can, St. Paul, MN, February
North Star Spring show, Bloomington, MN, March

Collections seen in 2024:
Beercanpete
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 3
BCCA Number: 15082
eBay name: beercanpete
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:

Re: O Canada

Post by Beercanpete »

Good questions! Not sure how much I can help with these, but …

I think a lot of the older Canadian cans were made for export (mostly to the U.S.), which is why you don't hear much about dumping in Canada. I am certain there are dumps up there with cans, but it might just be a numbers game, not nearly as many dumps with cans as you'd find in the U.S.

As for a Holy Grail … all of the cones are pretty tough, but especially the Brading Lager, Frontenac White Ale, and Frontenac Blue Label--you can probably count how many of each exist on about one hand. The Class book for Canada says the Doran's with "Imported from Canada" on the side and the Heidelberg with "Product of Canada" at the bottom are unique, but I wouldn't vouch for that. They are definitely super tough. There are a lot of other flats that are real tough--the first two Brading's Ales, Dow Ale "Cool Control", the first Black Label and Laurentide flats, etc. I've got my list of cans from the Canadian Class book down to about 50, and it's a really good year if I can find one can from that list in a year.
curt
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 745
BCCA Number: 30313
eBay name: mjb3
Zodiac:
Canada

Post by curt »

Back in the late 40 and early 50's when cans were introduced they were only in a few provinces Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick these 3 provinces are where cones were distributed) and cans only accounted for a fraction of a percent of sales. As late as the 70's cans were only about 5% of total sales. It is only in the last 20 or 30 years that sales of beer in cans in Canada has really took off.

Ontario which is the most populated province by a long shot only started to sell canned beer in 1964 I believe.

I agree with Pete, the holy grail is a Bradings cone but there plenty of Canadian cans with only a handful known. i have added 3 cans so far in 2018 after 0 in 2017 so a good start.
Collector of pre 1970 Canadian cans , tabs I like,Yuengling cans, US cones, Canadian trays and PA,NY Trays
bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 866
BCCA Number: 34752
Year Started Collecting: 2000
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

I agree, awesome question.
I’ve personally dumped Canadian cans here (and seen others dump them) on a number of occasions, so I’m sure many of them were exported here.

Plus theres tons of canadian dump diggers on YouTube, so the collectors are out there. However, very few were concerned about the cans, even when they were cones!
Bantam - when you pop a Regal OI, everyone will want to dig with you and no one will give you crap anymore.... until then, Keep On Truckin" !
jinsequa
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1037
BCCA Number: 34154
eBay name: Jinsequa
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jinsequa »

Beercanpete wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:00 am Good questions! Not sure how much I can help with these, but …
The Class book for Canada says the Heidelberg with "Product of Canada" at the bottom are unique, but I wouldn't vouch for that. They are definitely super tough.
Do you know the provenance behind the "Product of Canada" Heidelberg? Was it found in South Africa or was it picked up in Canada prior to export? Do you know what year it was produced? Just wondering.....I collect Heidelbergs and have almost all from US and Canada yet I don't know anything about that one.
I do know it took me forever to find a "Master Brewed" Canadian Heidelberg, so I am guessing that one is no slouch either?

Eric Palmer
foreigncanman
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 27960
Canada

Post by foreigncanman »

jinsequa wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:45 am
Beercanpete wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:00 am Good questions! Not sure how much I can help with these, but …
The Class book for Canada says the Heidelberg with "Product of Canada" at the bottom are unique, but I wouldn't vouch for that. They are definitely super tough.
Do you know the provenance behind the "Product of Canada" Heidelberg? Was it found in South Africa or was it picked up in Canada prior to export? Do you know what year it was produced? Just wondering.....I collect Heidelbergs and have almost all from US and Canada yet I don't know anything about that one.
I do know it took me forever to find a "Master Brewed" Canadian Heidelberg, so I am guessing that one is no slouch either?

Eric Palmer
The Heidelberg is thought to be unique. Some of the collectors in Toronto may know the provenance of the can. It was in Horst's collection and I believ e he obtained it but I do not know where. Tom
Matt Menghini
Rust Master
Rust Master

Post by Matt Menghini »

The comments above about the beer cones are spot on. YOu can over time assemble all of the Canadian cones except the ones that are mentioned above. Also good to collect is the soda cones - lots of soda cones from Canada and that is a set that you can complete, except for the Brio from Pure Springs. Matt
Summitcan
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 894
BCCA Number: 29714
eBay name: Summitcan.573
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
Christmas Island

Post by Summitcan »

Matt Menghini wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:03 pm The comments above about the beer cones are spot on. YOu can over time assemble all of the Canadian cones except the ones that are mentioned above. Also good to collect is the soda cones - lots of soda cones from Canada and that is a set that you can complete, except for the Brio from Pure Springs. Matt
I do not collect many soda cans but I think the Lucky Strike cones are my favorite soda can
To me it makes Goog Goog sense !
dtsoc
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
eBay name: dtsoc
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by dtsoc »

Hi Matt,
What’s the Brio can? Is that a soda?
Thx, DT
I collect one flavor of rare soda can generations. Also publish Collectible Soda Cans - don't hesitate to contact me with cans you have available or questions about old soda cans.
http://www.collectiblesodacans.com
foreigncanman
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 27960
Canada

Post by foreigncanman »

dtsoc wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:21 pm Hi Matt,
What’s the Brio can? Is that a soda?
Thx, DT
Brio was an Italian soda made and sold in Canada , It used to be available at pizzerias and grocery stores.Tom
Clarkston1
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 23278
eBay name: jremund
Year Started Collecting: 1978

Post by Clarkston1 »

Here is a pic of the Brading’s cone which I think showed up on eBay a few years ago.
Sharp can....don’t know who ended up with it?
EDIT - Added another picture from an old thread.
viewtopic.php?t=42794
Attachments
DC69890A-ED1C-4DB8-BC10-91D0B1D30F6B.png
6AC01B37-2584-42EA-85AA-58CB49F9267E.jpeg
A630079C-8430-4B3C-ACF3-FC868CE53A60.png
Last edited by Clarkston1 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Beercanpete
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 3
BCCA Number: 15082
eBay name: beercanpete
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:

Post by Beercanpete »

Funny that the Brading's looks photoshopped or something--but I KNOW that's what a legit can looks like. Tough enough can that I have never seen one in person!
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
Mark (expired)
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 692
BCCA Number: 27935
eBay name: markintheglen
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Mark (expired) »

Dave Fowler and Ted Bartolacci put together a compendium of Canadian cans from 1948-1984 - and it has a rarity scale from 1-10(hardest). As much as such ratings generate lots of second and third guessing and get out of date because of subsequent "finds", they do help with at least some relative understanding of what is out there and which ones are thought to be harder to get than others. I tried to do a quick count - and they list 8 cans as RR=10 - including a green pull tab Heidleberg for South Africa and a 132 oz Keg Draft Ale?

I have heard that the copper colored Black Horse cones are likely "first" for Canada dating to 1948. The Molson Export Ale wood grain flat is thought to be the earliest flat top and may be 1949/50?
Expired once again in Portland ...
Still musing about cans
roosterman
Cone Top
Cone Top
Year Started Collecting: 1982
Canada

Post by roosterman »

I have had pretty good success dumping in Canada. I find the Muskoka region just north of Toronto to be right full of treasures. Most cottages would carry their groceries in but would not carry out the garbage. Most dumps are in or over banks behind the cottage. I do phone repair in cottage land so everywhere I visit I take a stroll out back to find the dump. Curt is correct in that cans were not introduced in Ontario til 64-65 so the oldest cans to be found are zip top. Only a small fraction of beer went cans so even the zip tops cans are rare. They went to a tear drop lid by 67. Since soda was 10 oz and beer was 12 oz, You can very quickly tell by the size of the lid worth digging it up.
Trillium chapter member #58 in the heart of Muskoka
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”