Moving on...

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Moving on...

Post by Rand »

All:

Wanted to let everybody know that hasn't already heard, my OI Whispering days are coming to a close. I've decided to transfer my entire OI collection back into the loving arms of the hobby and set my sights on other game. The reasons are varied and convoluted as most major life upheavals tend to be. Underlying much of it are financial considerations that have recently cropped up. In addition, I've really missed collecting beer cans. With my OIs, I kinda painted myself into a corner where I couldn't actually participated in "collecting" any more, because what I needed to extend the collection just wasn't generally available. So going to shows, watching ebay, looking at the Advertising forum etc really wasn't any fun because there was rarely anything I could acquire given the fences I constructed in defining my collection. Finally, while it's always cool looking up and seeing a Class can, and a Triangle and a Rosalie, etc etc etc......on your shelves, at some point, it just loses its magic and what it starts to feel like is a bunch of stagnant money tied up on a cool toy that you no longer play with......toys that others would really enjoy.

In summing up, I want to thank everybody for all the trades and sales and information sharing throughout the years....it really is fun to learn about all the nuances in a can's history. Now it's time to go learn about another segment of the hobby.....any suggestions of where I should wander next welcome. (Oh, and if you want to pick up any of my cans or other OI stuff I gathered, it's being auctioned off through Breweriania.com / Morean auctions here: http://www.moreanauctions.com/catalog.aspx

Thanks again!

Rand :-)

Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
keithker
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 969
BCCA Number: 11507
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Moving on...

Post by keithker »

@Rand It made me a little ill when I started to realize that this great hobby is about to lose an amazing wealth of knowledge but have to understand that you obviously gave it all some deep thought prior to stepping back. Wish you the best in whatever path you decide to focus on in your life's desire to make it the best of what you achieve. You will be missed and hope you don't become a complete stranger. It would be great to hear from you from time to time even just to say Hi. It was a pleasure to have met you......
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

keithker wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:56 pm @Rand It made me a little ill when I started to realize that this great hobby is about to lose an amazing wealth of knowledge but have to understand that you obviously gave it all some deep thought prior to stepping back. Wish you the best in whatever path you decide to focus on in your life's desire to make it the best of what you achieve. You will be missed and hope you don't become a complete stranger. It would be great to hear from you from time to time even just to say Hi. It was a pleasure to have met you......
Thanks so much! But just to be clear, I'm not going anywhere in general....just backing away from OIs specifically. Sorry if I made it sound like that!

Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use
Year Started Collecting: 1974

Post by Scott »

Wow! Quite the surprise. Hopefully moving these cans along will help you with whatever other issues are plaguing you at the moment. If you can't have the cans anymore, at least you could assemble a nice photo gathering of them suitable for framing as a reminder of the significant portion of your life you have invested in them. Just a thought. I've seen other guys hit the ceiling with things like OD cans or gallons where it's next to impossible to add anything. It's tough being excited while knowing that any future addition to your collection is going to be a heavy hit to your wallet if you manage to somehow fight off the cutthroat competition.

I'm glad to hear you are not planning on leaving the hobby. One possibility for a side collection that will keep you busy for awhile would be I-7 openers. It's still a nod towards your days of collecting the cans they opened. Most don't cost a lot either compared to the matching cans but there are some very difficult ones to find. You still need a primary focus of something more colorful that displays well and there are tons of things to choose from. You will gravitate somewhere without fully realizing you are doing so at the time. Bottles are cool and most don't cost a fortune but there are so many you need to narrow down. If I were going that route I'd limit myself to ones with permit numbers as a start and maybe add some geographic limitations as well.

Looking forward to seeing you at future shows my friend.
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

Thanks @Scott ! Hadn't thought about openers....that's an intriguing idea....hummmm.

Looking forward to see you at shows as well....in addition to going to shows at all! As noted, going to shows just felt like a waste of money because there was never anything I could get there (in general). Will be fun to go to shows again and start looking at all the cans (and openers?) to see what jumps out at me!

keithker
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 969
BCCA Number: 11507
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by keithker »

@Rand Thanks for the follow-up. I have read some of the nuances that previously I missed...Guess when I read the title and then saw all your cans sitting on Dan Morean's page thought you were walking away from the hobby.....I'm sure you'll find another niche that scratches your itch but being a lover of O/Is it would be hard for me to shift.....
shubmcs
Zip Top
Zip Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 10884
Year Started Collecting: 1972
United States of America

Post by shubmcs »

I am both shocked and saddened....but completely understand ...it is hard to justify a collection at what cost and availability to continue acquiring cans for the shelf....I recommend cones... although the narly age look crowntainers have is appealing...but once you have the OCD for collecting cans it never really stops...it just goes in remission for short periods and you will need more shelf space....Mike
Carl S
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 294
BCCA Number: 29503
eBay name: rustyguy
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Switzerland

Post by Carl S »

Glad you will be staying in the hobby - jut climbing out the window to get out of your OI corner. I like @@Scott's bottle suggestion. I have found that is a great way to add some killer labels to more fully cover my locality.

How about collecting Bock cans. Or just Bock cone tops, Or just Bock cones from PA, Or... (probably want to avoid that rabbit whole).

But hey, if you want to build up your wind tunnel Rainier Jubilee's, let me know :)
blake
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 9148
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by blake »

Sad to hear, but good luck on your next venture. Your collection was amazing :shock: Very impressed
Wanted: Schmidt City Club OD 130-2, Schmidt Select Desert 130-14, Gluek's 165-7,8 and Grain Belt Ale 166-24,25
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 122
BCCA Number: 26172
eBay name: cactuscans
Year Started Collecting: 1972
United States of America

Post by CMD »

try just cans from the 50s
Wanted Frederick's cone ,Balboa IRTP by Southern Finer, Flavor ale by Monarch, Little Imp, gold IRTP Finer Flavor by Southern, Lucky Lager OI Withdrawn free, white/gold Imperial from Maier, Tornbergs WF cone,Rainier OD cone,Niborg,Acme 3.2% on side panel, Malt Syrup tins or labels,Uncle Dan's Root beer signs ,I-7 openers needed....BALBOA,UNION, ROGER WILLIAMS ALE
I live rent free in his head!
stringsx24now
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 309
BCCA Number: 26795
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by stringsx24now »

in the 90's I switched primary focus from cans to beer bags, partially to have something else to look for--something different besides cans. I picked bags because competition was not extensive, bags were out there, but not super expensive, and storage is fairly compact. Plus a good variety of labels. There were also brands that I could acquire that I NEVER would be able to get in cans (Ortliebs Bock Ale for instance).
I have come back to cans as my primary focus the last decade or more, some specialization, but several categories.
Anyway, my point is pick a type of breweriana different than cans, say beer tokens, TOC signs, etched glasses, brewery letterhead, beer bags (?!), foam scrapers, bottle caps/crowns, whatever.....and then maybe a can category or two. All those tables with stuff you pretty much ignored at shows because they did not have any OI cans will now seem much more interesting. 50's cans seem to be a wide open possibility and variety as well.
collector of Sick's Select, Senate, and Congress cans and breweriana; beer bags; as well as other fun stuff
Looking for Schuster Brewing of Rochester, MN items and Meyer Brewing of Bloomington, IL

Shows attended in 2024:
LaCrosse, WI show, January
Freeze Your Can, St. Paul, MN, February
North Star Spring show, Bloomington, MN, March

Collections seen in 2024:
Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use

Post by Scott »

You could always collect crayons and coloring books. That's what one former RB member does these days. He's stuck trying to get that one last obscure color to complete a certain rare box of 64 though.
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Conehead »

Rand,

Are you going to keep any of your old OI's?

Just thinking that if I sold out my cones, I would probably still keep a handful of special ones, just because.

Jim
I shall leave no cone unturned!!
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

Thanks for the comments! Replying to a few comments all bundled into one.

50's cans....hummmm....great idea. My garage is full of them from a previous collection....probably a good start!

Other breweriania. No objection....but one of the big pressures in this next decision of where to go, is that I have these beautiful custom shelves screwed into my house with great pain and cost.....that I would rather not extract. So 12oz cans appear to be in my future somehow. The I9 openers fit perfectly into the 12oz space, so that is a real option. Tall bottles not so much, or cones, but maybe stubbies or crowntainers.

Bock cans.....great idea but I just put up some of my favorite bock cans for sale....if I were going that direction I should have kept the Hornungs, Ruppert, Doelger, Pabst, Feigenspan etc etc etc bocks. Too late to head down that path

Keeping other cans. As it turns out, about 100 of my cans from my collection didn't make the cut for the auction. The way these things work with commissions and what not, it didn't make sense to ship my lower value/lower grade cans. The handling costs wouldn't have been worth it. Also have some that have a bit of repaint on them that was best to keep out of a cool auction like this. To that end, I do have a bunch of my collection here with some interesting cans in it that I'll be moving myself. ABC English Ale.....Emil Sicks....Windsor....Black Dallas....Croft Pilgrim.....Poths Ale.....OldStLouis Beer.....Neweillers Bock.....blue banner Tru Blu White Seal.....Strouds Beer ....Lubek....etc etc etc. I'll start rolling that stuff out after this other crazyness is over. :-)

So, with that previous rant, I never actually answered the "am I keeping" question. Yea.....as part of the stuff I didn't ship east, were 16 pictured cans that still tug at my heart strings. Probably will be hanging onto those and keep them segmented onto a special shelf.

@Carl S .....yes! The Ranier wind tunnel find is one of the things that I do think I would like to feature. Was thinking about calling you to discuss.....because there are all kinds of variation questions I have, along with tactical things like lidding questions. Now that the auction is up and the cat is out of the bag.....I'll be in touch. You going to Tahoe?

John H.
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by John H. »

Rand, I'm sorry to see the collection go. A while back, I felt the same way. I got my rejuvenation after my first Blue/Gray show and seeing John Bains wonderful back-bar display. Now, I collect virtually anything beer related, not just cans. There is an almost infinite amount of stuff out there, and although I'll never have it all, it's the chase and the addition of stuff I've never seen before that keeps me excited. It also has expanded to new craft breweries. Some of them have nice signs which I have now added to the collection, and for those that don't have signs, I've now started making signs from their logo's. There's a store not far from Yosemite that carves signs of wood (I think it's called Sierra Signs) and travels around to west coast county Fairs. This summer I look the logo's from 7 craft brewers (coaster's tin tacker signs, or t-shirts) and had them made into signs and they look fantastic. All they need is a logo and they can replicated it on wood. I already have a few more set up for next year and I might even take take a few old beer cans to them to have those replicated on wood. As long as I have space to put it up, I'll keep collecting. I hope you'll come down to Watsonville this year!

John H.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Bummer, Maybe collect California paper label Bottles. Colorful & Affordable. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
Carl S
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 294
BCCA Number: 29503
eBay name: rustyguy
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Switzerland

Post by Carl S »

No Tahoe for me. I will be in Spokane for a wedding (Nick Johnson's daughter). I'd love to share my Jubilee knowledge and pick out some cans for you too.
sgramling
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1038
BCCA Number: 15286
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:

Post by sgramling »

Rand, your Rand-Me-Down streak is going to end with a blast! I've got many great OI cans on my shelf because of your endless search for upgrades (Red Top, Grace Bros Ale, Brown Sterling, Iron City OI - just to name a few!) I'll watch Morean, but please let us know where the other cans will come up.. here? FB? Ebay?

If you lost the thrill of the acquisition - you could try craft cans! :) That's an endless quest that you'll never complete! I'm glad you are planning on staying within the realm of Breweriana. We're all better off with you among us!
Wrestling Nut
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1131
BCCA Number: 34647
eBay name: wrestlingnutbrad
Year Started Collecting: 2013
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wrestling Nut »

Rand, your collection was truly amazing. The decision you made must have been incredibly difficult. Thanks for letting all of us know. It amazes me that we all have a shot at your cans. No private sale means we all get to dream, at least for a little while. Whatever new path you choose, that part of the hobby will be better off for it. Godspeed.
A true friend will lie for you but not to you.
foreigncanman
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 27960
Canada

Post by foreigncanman »

Affordable collections like paper label bottles are very cool. The other alternative is to start by collecting things you like. Scour ebay attend shows and see what cool affordable things strike your eye. The worst thing for a collector is to hit a wall. You can either find another specialty or be a generalist. You have a good eye for cool stuff and know about collecting. You're in California . Lots of cool stuff. Foreign cans is my main specialty but I do not fin d anything at shows often so I pick up stuff I like and with your sales fro m the auction you will have some bankroll. Its fun collecting different beer stuff.
Rockbob
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 824
BCCA Number: 30760
eBay name: rockbobford
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rockbob »

I think you have to answer one question. When you go to shows, are you drawn to anything specific other than OI's? Before I decided to focus on the tabs, I was always drawn to them at shows. So, was there anything that piqued your interest in the past besides OI's? If so, run with it. If not, the next show you go to, keep an open mind, and whatever you seem to show the most interest in, wins. Good luck, and I know whatever it is you decide, you'll kick butt!
RockBob, Rocko, Rockford Bob, Pinhead
Collector of all things from Chicago and cans I dig
Ironguts Union #11
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

Scott wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:09 pmIf you can't have the cans anymore, at least you could assemble a nice photo gathering of them suitable for framing as a reminder of the significant portion of your life you have invested in them. Just a thought.
A very good thought. I like this idea.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
foreigncanman
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 27960
Canada

Post by foreigncanman »

WILL THE AUCTION ALSO HAVE A CATALOGUE??
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

foreigncanman wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:17 pm WILL THE AUCTION ALSO HAVE A CATALOGUE??
It is live right now at: https://moreanauctions.com/
Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

Rand I am glad you are keeping a few cans even if they are not you heaviest hitters. Some day you will look back and be very grateful you kept some if only for nostalgia sake. Good luck in whatever niche you decide to move into.

I just want to take a moment to remind you how immensely respected you are for the knowledge and the collection you have amassed. The collection may be going in another direction but you will ALWAYS be the OI icon. I will treasure the Rand-me-Downs and advice you have given me in the past. I guess what I want to express most is: "Thank You"

I look forward to hearing about your NEW exploits as you move into the next phase of your collecting......

(P.S. I just put in several "K" worth of bids on items I would love to win but probably won't....lol.)
Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
BLindstrom
Cone Top
Cone Top
Year Started Collecting: 1980

Post by BLindstrom »

Rand, buy a gold bug and start digging.
JohnLi67
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1103
BCCA Number: 34303
eBay name: johnlij
Year Started Collecting: 2000
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by JohnLi67 »

Rand, Very impressive collection that you assembled. It will be interesting to watch the auction unfold. As for other collecting ideas, I’ve always enjoyed collecting set cans. The chase of trying to completes sets has been cool and challenging.

Good Luck in any and all future endeavors.

John
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

Keep the suggestions for future endeavors coming! Probably not going to get to them all....but

Yea....I've thought of set cans but they too can get pricey....and though the chase for a set is good, some sets are deadly boring....but some like the 007, happy days etc are fantastic. still on the fence

@Carl S ....I'll be in touch

No catalogue....but a flyer I believe

I have a goldbug....just don't get out that much

....and to everybody else.....thanks so much for the kind words! They mean a lot!

OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
United States of America

Post by OhioCanGuy »

All I can say is WOW. Saw this thread yesterday afternoon. I had so many thoughts swirling through my head wasn't sure how to respond. Probably will be repeating a thing or two from above, but hey, that's what we do!

1. First off, congratulations on making this move. I'm sure you've thought long and hard about it and I have no doubt you've lost sleep thinking about it. Tough decision, the decision has been made, and I would think you at least feel some sort of relief that you are now moving forward.

2. I think we've all thought about it (selling the collection) at one point or another. Some of us have and have rebuilt. You've stated that you are going to stay in the breweriana game (12 oz. cans or?), and that is great. Nothing wrong with shifting gears and taking a few bucks (more than a few) off the table when the market is strong.

3. There are a lot of great ideas listed above as to a new direction. My advice would be to let it develop organically. Look online, go to some shows. If you see something you like, at a reasonable price, buy it. You will likely start to see a theme develop and there you go, a new direction. That said, I think many of us get too pigeon holed into a collection niche (me included). I understand why most of us do it (to keep the volume under control). But nothing wrong with just buying what you like, for whatever reason.

4. Regarding the auction through Dan Morean: Great, now I'm going to have to take the bus to work for the next two years as I might be selling my daily driver. LOL!! Some awesome stuff in there. I'm sure you will realize some fantastic prices. I will be bidding as well.

5. As stated, you'll always be the OI whisperer to me! More knowledge in your head on OI cans than most of us could ever hope to know. Now the only question is: What are you going to whisper next ?!?!?
Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
DaveNH
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1016
BCCA Number: 6727
eBay name: drt1r5
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by DaveNH »

Wow, I couldn’t believe it when I saw the Morean Auction announcement so I jumped to the RB and there’s your moving on thread. I couldn’t believe it was true, Rand selling his prized OI collection? After reading your post, I understand and appreciate your POV much better. I’m thankful I was able to pick up some of your past Rand-me-down cans (you were very fair to me especially the non check payment route 😃) and am hopeful of acquiring some of the non Morean auction items. I’m suspect the auction OI’s will be out of my budget. I wish you luck on your next whispers whatever they may be and hope we’ll get a chance to meet in person one day.
Thanks. Dave
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”