Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Odd Cones

Post by willssoda »

So these are actual soda cans and at first I thought someone found sheets and rolled them with brake fluid caps but seams are crimped which makes me feel like maybe the sheets were purchased and either used for test in making brake fluid type cans or the soda manufacturer was possibly testing this type of cap as a reseal can like our plastic bottles today? I've been told there is a rootbeer too and that there are several more of the brands shown excluding the grape. Anyone have any info on these cans?
Attachments
IMG_3922.JPG

Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
dtsoc
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
eBay name: dtsoc
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Odd Cones

Post by dtsoc »

These are pull tabs that had cones added. Soda cones were also never made with screw tops - the carbonation wouldn't last. The presence of zip codes is the clincher - these are D540-1 with the bottoms cut down to get the right height for a cone top. If these don't have zip codes (D540-0), then someone ruined a really rare and valuable flat to make them. These have been showing up more recently lately, but have been around for years. DT
I collect one flavor of rare soda can generations. Also publish Collectible Soda Cans - don't hesitate to contact me with cans you have available or questions about old soda cans.
http://www.collectiblesodacans.com
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Yes I was able to identify they were not the rare version but I will say I have been surfing eBay for 17 years and while there may have been examples of this can show up I have never seen one so still thinking a fairly tough can in any condition. I'm still curious about why they were made. The cones are discolored and when I got them had a pretty heavy layer of dust dirt and debris which tells me these were not done recently. Also the seams are factory sealed and not a rolled seam which raises my curiosity even more. I know I don't have anything of Large value but trying to determine if someone went to the trouble to cut these cans down and lid them (I was told there was a full case of assorted flavors) with screw cap tops thinking they would bring money or if they were actually done by a manufacturer as a test of some sort?
dtsoc
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
eBay name: dtsoc
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by dtsoc »

They could have been paper label break fluid cans with the paper removed. There have been beer cans like this, but I thought they were usually older. I remember a few of these, along with one or two other brands appearing on Ebay in the late 90's or early 2000's. Didn't pay much attention to them or save any pics. Are the bottoms flat?
Dave
I collect one flavor of rare soda can generations. Also publish Collectible Soda Cans - don't hesitate to contact me with cans you have available or questions about old soda cans.
http://www.collectiblesodacans.com
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Yes bottoms are flat. Thanks for the info!
Matt Menghini
Rust Master
Rust Master

Post by Matt Menghini »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Soda/Pop Can Collecting”