Sta-Tab
Sta-Tab
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 2017
United States of America

My 7up can

Post by Del Fuego »

I was given this can some time ago and never really gave it much thought. I always figured it was a pre-pull tab can. I've tried to find one like it on Google Images, but it seems to be unique.

I'm pretty sure it's from the early 1960's.

The can is completely empty, has never been opened and has no pull tab.

Have any of you guys ever seen a can like this before?

Canadacan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1078
Year Started Collecting: 1987
Zodiac:
Canada

Re: My 7up can

Post by Canadacan »

It's a common 'green lines' version, there are 3.....one has no contents on the front, the other has ' 12 fluid ounces'....and of course yours with 'contents'.
Ivan... RB #1078 Collector of soda cans & bottles from Canada. Looking for Canadian soada cans 12oz & 10oz From the 1950s right into the 80s.
Also Canadian Beers ,USA Orange Crush bottles And American Drewrys beer cans.
stringsx24now
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 309
BCCA Number: 26795
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by stringsx24now »

More basic info: it is what we call a 'flat top", meaning no tab or self opening top. This is how pop and beer cans were in the 1930's to early 1960"s. It was in the early to mid 1960's when a tab was invented. So you can date this can to the mid 1960"s. I do not know pop cans very much, so I cant give you a better time estimate.
When the other Canadacan said common version, that is kind of relative......since flat tops went away 50+ years ago, finding ANY flat top in nice condition can be special. That said, there are apparently many cans of this version available to collectors if one really wanted one.
You have a nice can, enjoy it.
One more thing, since it is a sealed, air-filled can, it may have been a store display or salesman's sample can. That generally does not affect the value.
collector of Sick's Select, Senate, and Congress cans and breweriana; beer bags; as well as other fun stuff
Looking for Schuster Brewing of Rochester, MN items and Meyer Brewing of Bloomington, IL

Shows attended in 2024:
LaCrosse, WI show, January
Freeze Your Can, St. Paul, MN, February
North Star Spring show, Bloomington, MN, March

Collections seen in 2024:
Del Fuego
Sta-Tab
Sta-Tab
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 2017
United States of America

Post by Del Fuego »

stringsx24now wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:45 am More basic info: it is what we call a 'flat top", meaning no tab or self opening top. This is how pop and beer cans were in the 1930's to early 1960"s. It was in the early to mid 1960's when a tab was invented. So you can date this can to the mid 1960"s. I do not know pop cans very much, so I cant give you a better time estimate.
When the other Canadacan said common version, that is kind of relative......since flat tops went away 50+ years ago, finding ANY flat top in nice condition can be special. That said, there are apparently many cans of this version available to collectors if one really wanted one.
You have a nice can, enjoy it.
One more thing, since it is a sealed, air-filled can, it may have been a store display or salesman's sample can. That generally does not affect the value.
Thank you for responding. I did some more research. This can was on the market from 1961-1963. The design changed in 1964.

Doing a Google search with the word "flat top" I was able to find others like this. I was hoping it was a test can or something unique. Thank you for helping me figure this out.
Summitcan
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 894
BCCA Number: 29714
eBay name: Summitcan.573
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
Christmas Island

Post by Summitcan »