Sold cans relisted on ebay

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Sold cans relisted on ebay

Post by ConeAddict »

This has always raised a red flag for me and I have seen it on a couple of cans that I was in on in the last couple of months. My policy has been to generally just stay away from them but at the same time I wanted the cans and as a sometimes seller myself hate to blacklist someone for what may be just bad luck with a buyer. I am still somewhat new to ebay but have been 20 for 20 in payments on cans I listed and they all came the night of the auction or early the next day, a small sample size but it seems like most people honor their bids. So my question for those who have sold a lot more than I have, is nonpayment really as common as so many relisted cans make it seem?

Thanks

Woody
Rust Master General
Rust Master General

Re: Sold cans relisted on ebay

Post by Woody »

My hunch is there are plenty of friends and family bidding up cans that they end up winning. I sure that are some that don't pay, but many more just jacking up the price. Wood
Senator Seebs
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 936
BCCA Number: 24174
eBay name: Seebs397
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Senator Seebs »

I have two that I have trouble paying. I also have a list that I do not sell to. I can share that list, that I got from the RB in a PM if you like.

Of course the irony of this is that it has taken me five months to pay IRTP Phil on the football bet. So, there you go.
Senator Seebs - Beer Can Mule
Long Haul Can trucker
jeffandjennyhaslauer@yahoo.com

IGU #4
Diamond State Boy
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:

Post by Diamond State Boy »

May depend on what's being sold?..I never had a sale that didn't go thru.(about 50 transactions). A few slow payers and people I had to remind..then again I never pulled any shenanigans to pump up my sales. Be suspicious of cans that went too high originally then get re-listed would be my best advice or inquire about the first round. :smt024
"Don't lend your hand to raise no flag..atop no ship of fools."
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

I have two ebay accounts. I started one of them on February 21, 1999. I have been in thousands of auctions (more selling than buying). I have found that if you treat people right, things generally go well. In all that time, I have only had two negative feedback's. The first time was way back in the beginning and I suspect it was just a kid screwing around. The second time was couple years ago. In that case, English was obviously not the buyer's first language and the difficulty in communication led him to get frustrated and give me negative feedback.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 101
BCCA Number: 28462
eBay name: Cap-Sealed
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

I've been on ebay since 1998. I have only had 1 bad check and 3 times where someone didn't pay me. If they don't pay, I block them for wasting my time again. One guy had excuses that went on for months on a Log Cabin Beer that closed at $400. After about 3 months of non-payment, I told him to just forget about it. Then he made up his RB handle to be LC400 I guess to get back at me? Another guy won my down-grade tall Ambrosia and then just flatly blew me off. I blocked him too. But then I am stuck relisting the item even though none of it was my fault.
Facebook: Roadrunner Chapter of the BCCA
KMA_367
ED S
RB #101 Keeping the Rusty Bunch RUSTY since 1985!
Always Going For Unobtainium!
Calcans@aol.com
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

From the responses I would say my suspicion that nonpayment it relatively rare is correct. I think I will continue to at least greylist sellers who I see relisting, for the most part it seems to be sellers who either sell a lot of cans or sell a lot of other items, likely not collectors. I saw a Schlitz Vitamin D FBIR relisted twice last spring, both of the previous sales were for around $400, I am sure it was part of the recent find so the seller was still trying to get the $800 or so these cans previously went for. I have noticed since selling some cans that some of the guys bidding or buying my cans are the same guys I have bought from in the past, not a bad idea to stick to buying cans from other known collectors like these. For me if someone didn't pay I would just put that can back on my shelf, if I am trying to pay off a recent acquisition I can usually find something else to put up for auction.
Matt Menghini
Rust Master
Rust Master

Post by Matt Menghini »

I agree with the point made earlier that there is reason to be suspicious of relisted cans, because it may very well be due to the fact that the seller's family or friends bid up the can, and then accidentally won the can, so they have to relist again. A dead give away is if you check the bid history from the earlier auction and see a bunch of incremental bids. Obviously somebody working with the seller to try and increase the price. Matt
sgramling
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1038
BCCA Number: 15286
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:

Post by sgramling »

https://m.facebook.com/groups/174273658 ... ef=m_notif is a facebook auction page that is all collectors.
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 32564
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

Ive been on ebay since the early days as well, 1999 or so? Sold all kinds of things from albums, comics, beer stuff and gun stuff plus a bunch of odd misc things. I could count on one hand the amount of times i have been stiffed. Lots of slow payers but back in the day it was real slow with checks going through the mail anyway. Funny thing is that most of the slow payers have been some of the highest bidders who bought things much higher than i was hoping for so it's all good. I would certainly be leery about items that get sold and pop up again and again especially if it's from the same sellers over and over . I was also usually leery about the people with no or almost no feedback and dormant sellers all of a sudden selling high dollar items. Good sign of being a hacked scammer.

Mike s
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
clark
Cone Top
Cone Top
eBay name: magcpwr
Year Started Collecting: 1973

Post by clark »

I've had quite a few buyers who backed out of winning bids. None were for beer cans, but rather car parts and electronics. In almost all cases the buyers were fairly new to ebay and I think they didn't get the idea that a bid is actually a binding offer.
Sweeperman
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 918
BCCA Number: 12507
eBay name: sweeperman10
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sweeperman »

Cap-Sealed wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 8:16 am Then he made up his RB handle to be LC400 I guess to get back at me?
What's this mean?? Was LC400 playing the long game/con to gets us all?
sweeperman /// Collector of Kentucky cans....
JohnLi67
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1103
BCCA Number: 34303
eBay name: johnlij
Year Started Collecting: 2000
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by JohnLi67 »

I've sold hundreds of items on eBay. My best category for selling has been beer cans with all of my winning bidders paying pretty close to auctions end. I've sold many sports cards also, and that is one category where you'll run into non paying bidders. I think they get caught up in the excitement of the auction end and overbid. Then they have regret and decide not to pay. eBay doesn't punish non-payers at all. They can do it over and over without receiving negative feedback or any discipline from eBay.

If you're running into sellers that are re-listing beer cans they are probably shill bidding and getting stuck with winning their own auctions. I would not bid on items from sellers that re-list cans.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”