Rusty Bunch Member Number: 918
BCCA Number: 12507
eBay name: sweeperman10
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Rule suggestion for next year and THIS SEASON

Post by Sweeperman »

We start the season off on an even playing field, or at least as even as we can make it. The draft order is the luck of the draw and then made fair by reversing the order for the second round. The teams are set and everyone is happy. Up to this point everyone had the same/equal chance to build a team.

Now if you have an injury or just picked a player that's not working out, that's tough luck, and it can happen to anyone (I lost Arron Rodgers to injury and would have loved to have traded for Peyton). You can go to the undrafted player field and replace that player, all of us can do that. That's fair because we all have the same fair shot at the same players.

What is not fair to everyone in the league is building a team by privately trading players with other teams in the league. This is the only time and instance where all teams are excluded from having the same fair shot at a player. It could be a bad, good, or great trade for the individual team involved, but that trade can also change the out come of a season for all other teams not involved in the trade also. We have gone to great lengths to have drafting rules that provide a fair and level playing field, and as far as I can tell this is the only rule that disrupts that fairness.

I would like to propose a rule that abolishes trading between teams. It's disruptive to the league and has the potential to change the outcome of the entire season.
Last edited by Sweeperman on Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweeperman /// Collector of Kentucky cans....
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Rule suggestion for next year!

Post by Sea Monkey »

There are safeguards to "unfair" trades. When any trade is made, the OTHER members of the league can VETO it which eliminates it. Trading is similar as in the NFL. Any team can trade with any other team regardless of weather or not the other teams in their division think. The Browns traded Trent Richardson to the Colts. There was nothing Pittsburg, Cincinatty or Baltimore could do about it. They could have approached the Browns to get Richardson but they either didn't inquire or offer enough compensation to trade him to them.

Trades ARE SUPPOSED to change the potential outcome of the season! That's why we do them. The real secret to Fantasy Football is that it is VERY LITTLE about the first 8 rounds of who you draft and almost COMPLETELY about who you draft in rest of the draft. (Maybe a SLIGHT exaggeration but very valid) Everybody has good starters before the season starts. Injuries and players being busts are ALWAYS going to happen. It is who you have on the bench that will determine the success of your season. Unless you draft a Super Stud (Peyton Manning) that rocks for you all season, the fill in is just as important. Watching games and spotting up and coming no name players and grabbing them before someone else does will make you a winner more times than not.
Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
Lovegun
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 699
BCCA Number: 3197
eBay name: Lovegun1959
Year Started Collecting: 1936
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Lovegun »

Trades are part of the landscape. I have been in numerous leagues, and never had a "no trade" rule. If a player of yours goes down, there has to be another option besides the waiver wire. A trade can be a great equalizer. That being said, the trades being proposed to me the last couple of years were somewhat of a joke, but I declined, so no harm, no foul. I did not see any trades that did transpire this year that unfairly favored anyone.

The only issues I have noticed, has been with the payouts. Everyone that's playing now that has paid me out has been great!!! But there has been a couple that was not even $10 worth of cans. The payout has generally been $50 or so worth of cans. I think that everyone on the payee end, should post pics of their winnings, that way it might deter someone who is just getting rid of junk.

Even though I am on the paying out end this year, I had fun, as I always do, and will play again next year.

Cheers
Greg
Greg Gromosiak-RB#699 B.C.C.A.#3197
Former Rusty Bunch President, Current Editor, Miami Valley Guzzelette
scrabble1959@yahoo.com

Turning dirt since 1972

Looking for either Red Top "Old Cincinnati" Beer O.I.!!!!
thatsus02
BCCA Vice President
BCCA Vice President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1050
BCCA Number: 32806
eBay name: thatsus02
Year Started Collecting: 1990
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by thatsus02 »

if you get lucky or have the forsite to draft good players as extras like i did with stafford, it give you or myself that advantage to make a weaker spot on my team better. everyone has the opportunity to throw trades out there and see if they catch. some people judge their players as high value and are unwilling to deal, you have to play the luck game and hope you can get a good players for cheap or get rid of one before they get hurt. also the veto effect cures lopsided trades due to fire sales. i really didnt see that many completed trades in this league anyways. not sure where the season changing trade could have been.
President, Michigan Chapter of the BCCA / NABA
Sweeperman
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sweeperman »

thatsus02 wrote:if you get lucky or have the forsite to draft good players as extras like i did with stafford,
Stafford has been traded at least 3 times this season and in fact was part of the questionable trade I have in mind.
Lovegun wrote:Trades are part of the landscape. I have been in numerous leagues, and never had a "no trade" rule. If a player of yours goes down, there has to be another option besides the waiver wire. A trade can be a great equalizer. That being said, the trades being proposed to me the last couple of years were somewhat of a joke, but I declined, so no harm, no foul. I did not see any trades that did transpire this year that unfairly favored anyone.
Now that's my point. As a rule the proposed trade is a joke and will always be turned down. If a trade takes place, you can bet that one team is coming out better than he should. Either the accepting or offering team does not know any better or there is some other reason why the trade was offered or accepted. I think all trades, in the case of FF, will be unfair to the league.
Seamonkey wrote:There are safeguards to "unfair" trades. When any trade is made, the OTHER members of the league can VETO it which eliminates it.

Trades ARE SUPPOSED to change the potential outcome of the season! That's why we do them. Everybody has good starters before the season starts. Injuries and players being busts are ALWAYS going to happen. It is who you have on the bench that will determine the success of your season. Unless you draft a Super Stud (Peyton Manning) that rocks for you all season, the fill in is just as important.

Watching games and spotting up and coming no name players and grabbing them before someone else does will make you a winner more times than not.

I agree if you grab them off the waiver wire, there are several hundred players available, but if you trade for them than another team has already recognized that players worth and has picked them up.
We, teams not involved, have veto power over others proposed trades? Is that true

There are several hundred players available in the waiver pool for those needing replace injured and bust players. I was turned down on multiple attempts on multiple weeks to trade. I was only able to use the waiver wire to replace players. I was shocked that trading was even taking place with other teams. Now I question the integrity of the whole trade system.
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

I throw trade requests out there all the time just to see what happens. If I need a RB and I have extra receivers, I look to see who either has extra RB's or crap receivers that might like to trade. Every owner rates the same player differently. I wouldn't trade Josh Gordon for anybody because I am a Browns fan and he is one of their very few Good players. I value him higher than his "real" value. The crazy trades proposed to Greg probably started with me...... :oops: :shock: :smt023
The first offer is more to say, "Hey, I'm looking to do something." If the other guy is in the mood to entertain a possible trade, you go back and forth until you both find something you can live with. Your first offer can't be your BEST offer or there would be no room to negotiate. I draft heavy at some positions depending how it plays out with the specific intention of having some trade ammunition. As I mentioned earlier, it is the later picks and not the early ones that will determine your success more times than not................
Scott Gray
thatsus02
BCCA Vice President
BCCA Vice President
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by thatsus02 »

i hope my trade of Stafford to a lower seeded team to help him with my competition and my gaining of Denvers 1 of 4 best recievers who solidified my team for my playoff run has not brought this thread up ( I sure wouldnt trade players to a team that was competing against me and might beat me with my own players). I spent three weeks trying to make that trade and really about hurt my chances as the other players i acquired in that really didnt help me and my extras on the bench got hurt IE my first round pick Foster. could have been bad but also through the wavier wire got back some key players at particular weeks. Also the wavier wire helps the weaker teams first as they get first choice each week of the best available players. i usually look two or three weeks ahead in my wavier picks and look at match ups who might be beneficial and pick them knowing since i have a high wavier number i might not get them the week of the match up. any how it seems everyone mostly like the trade system so lets just call it good.
Sweeperman
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sweeperman »

No I was not referring to you and forget I said anything. Having only been able to complete one trade the entire season at the end of the season , I was frustrated when I was typing. Other than that one trade, I was only able to use the waiver wire to pick up players. I was thinking if thats the way its going to be than to be fair we should stop the few trades that happen and force everyone to use the wavier wire exclusively.
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

It looks like we only had 3 trades this entire season for the league combined....................
Scott Gray
Mike Wilbur
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: acmerainier
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Mike Wilbur »

I would object if someone traded one of their good players intentionally to help another team. I didn't even notice the trades this year, so I can't comment. If you are trying to make your own team better, any trade should be fine. If you are trying to make any other team better, for any reason, then I consider that 100% unfair to the rest of the league. -Mike
Beamer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 800
eBay name: beamer911
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by Beamer »

I sat out this year, as I was in another FFL league. Did both last time and it was just too much. Trades could be vetoed if I remember. Lots of analyzing goes in to who to start or bench. It all should be fun, but just like when I am playing poker with my friends, gotta play your hand. If you can sucker them in or bluff....well played.
Sweeperman
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Rule suggestion for this season Scroll to the bottom

Post by Sweeperman »

The two recent players that have had criminal complaints and arrest have made me think about this issue.

The situation: You have a player and he commits a crime he may be dropped from the NFL. The actual NFL team is SOL and they scramble to replace him but in the meantime they are forced to start a player currently on their roster while they work out a solution. The player is lost and the team is hurt.

The Problem with our league in my opinion. There are only 10 teams and plenty of backup players to go around. If you don't like a player you have and want to substitute we have a bench to pick our substitution from. If we no longer like our bench back up player we simply pick a player that is available from the free agent list. If a player gets injured we simply pick someone instantly from the free agent list. It really is not that simple in the NFL which we are playing in as a mock team. We are able to overcome a bad pick, an injury, and discipline problem-even criminal with just picking a substitute and playing him that same week. Thats not going to happen in the NFL. The player would have to learn the new teams plays etc…and most likely would not play for a number of weeks. On the other hand WE pickup or trade for a player and they produce points for us immediately which in my opinion is BS.

The solution I propose for this season or next……… If you pick a thug, criminal, scumbag or whatever because you want the points he produces and you get burned by him becoming ineligible you pay a consequence like the real NFL team. You lose that player for a number of games and must use someone on your bench. I suggest we not be able to drop a player lost because of thuggery, or scandal for a number of games. I would suggest the rule would state that we must keep that player on our roster for at least two games before he can be traded.
Last edited by Sweeperman on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Randy Karasek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 636
BCCA Number: 0
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Rule suggestion for this season Scroll to the bottom

Post by Randy Karasek »

Sweeperman wrote:The solution I propose for this season or next……… If you pick a thug, criminal, scumbag or whatever because you want the points he produces and you get burned by him becoming ineligible you pay a consequence like the real NFL team.
Sadly, the above is becoming way too common. Seems like the more millions thrown at them, the more trouble occurs.
thatsus02
BCCA Vice President
BCCA Vice President
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Rule suggestion for next year and THIS SEASON

Post by thatsus02 »

Sweeperman, with all your special additions to a fantasy league rule book, I think it would be almost impossible to field a team in your fantasy world. I thought we did this for fun. with all the complaints you have about the way this league is run, It is amazing that you continue to be part of it. Dont get e wrong, i love having you as part of it, but some of the rules you propose, in my mind are just ridiculous.
Beamer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 800
eBay name: beamer911
United States of America

Post by Beamer »

It is just Fantasy Football. I played for a season or two here. I had to auto-draft and live with those players.
Sweeperman
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sweeperman »

Im always looking to upgrade boys. Thats what us collectors do isn't. Always improve what you have if you can.

I guess you both must of had the thugs to feel like that! Again not trying to step on toes, just improve where improvement can be made.

AND what the hell….. I have suggested 2 rules in 2 years and you suggest I should drop out? Seems kind of harsh.
Last edited by Sweeperman on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

Lets take a step back guys........
There is no harm in discussing rule changes/improvements. It is after all just a discussion. If the majority want to change something and ESPN has the capability of supporting it then so be it. The problem with the "thug" type rule is guys might not be thugs when you drafted them. Adrian Peterson was a model citizen until two days ago. Ray Rice was the LAST person anyone would have thought of as a thug until he knocked his girlfriend/wife out. How are you going to define who is a thug or not? Anyone with issues under the Personal Conduct policy? That would mean anyone with a DUI is a thug. There is probably 20 guys on this board that would be classified as thugs. I wouldn't think all "crimes" would/should be classified the same. Where do we draw the line? Who would vote on this? This is FANTASY football. In MY fantasy world there is nothing but rainbows and lolly pops....lol. I am in favor of the KISS principle. Keep it simple. I am always willing to listen to rules changes but it is tough to get 6 out of 10 people to agree on much. Heck, it is tough to get 6 out of 10 of you to return my PM's on ANYTHING....lol............ :smt023

LETS PLAY SOME FOOTBALL! Who will be my victim this week? HE He he he (evil laugh)........
Scott Gray
beercanman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 327
BCCA Number: 24599
eBay name: www.beercanman.com
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by beercanman »

As Adrian Peterson's owner, I'd sure want due process before tossing him into a 'do not play' list. He hasn't been found guilty of anything ... Yet
Steve
-----------------------------
http://www.BeerCanMan.com

"Like" Beercanman on FaceBook - I even have random giveaways! https://www.facebook.com/beercanmandotcom"

Searching for Esslinger Quizzie BOCK variations and upgrades!
Sweeperman
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sweeperman »

beercanman wrote:As Adrian Peterson's owner, I'd sure want due process before tossing him into a 'do not play' list. He hasn't been found guilty of anything ... Yet
He's already on the do not play list. He didn't play today and he sat on your bench. What I'm talking about is when a player is judged as unfit to represent a team and is dropped from the NFL. We drop the player and rush out and pick up a new player and our team is not impacted at all.

What you are doing Steve is exactly what I suggested. We live or die with our pick!

To respond further to the post that is directed to me….

To express an opinion or suggestion is neither an indication of having fun or not having fun. A suggestion is not a complaint. An opinion is simply an opinion nothing more. A suggestion is simply a suggestion nothing more.

When I call something a suggestion it's exactly that, a suggestion. THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS TITLED SUGGESTION!

I guess when some hear suggestion they think complaint, that's a self-esteem issue which no suggestion can help.

I'm just floored by the apparent reaction that you have had to a suggestion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “NFL”