Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 892
BCCA Number: 34073
eBay name: record-american
Year Started Collecting: 2200
Ukraine

Northwestern Roadtrip

Post by oldindiapaleale »

Getting ready for a 5-6 week roadtrip west to Seattle, south to Los Angeles and back to the east coast.

I'd like to do some dumping along the route and hook up with some Rusty Bunchers either to hit some dumps or check out some collections.

I expect to be in Michigan, the upper peninsula, Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Dakotas in the first half of July.

Montana, Wyoming (Yellowstone), Idaho, Washington, Oregon and northern California in mid-July.

Unfortunately I won't have much or any time in southern California due to other commitments.

The trip back will go through Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas and Missouri then east in early August.

I plan to do a lot of sight seeing such as Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Seattle Space Needle, Mt. Rainier, Crater Lake, Bryce Canyon. Also visit a bunch of breweries and take their tours.

I'm trying to keep my route and time schedule pretty flexible but I do have to be in Los Angeles during the last week in July.

Any tips on places to dig or brewers to visit or advice would be great.

Send me a PM or email if you'd like to get together for some digging in the above mentioned states. I'm looking forward to finding lots of Coors and Olympia cans as well as some off-brands like Silver State and Butte.

Thanks, Billy Devine

CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 122
BCCA Number: 26172
eBay name: cactuscans
Year Started Collecting: 1972
United States of America

Re: Northwestern Roadtrip

Post by CMD »

Certainly call Glen Hintz in the LA area , he has aurgueably one of the 2 best collections in California and is a great guy.

Dan
Wanted Frederick's cone ,Balboa IRTP by Southern Finer, Flavor ale by Monarch, Little Imp, gold IRTP Finer Flavor by Southern, Lucky Lager OI Withdrawn free, white/gold Imperial from Maier, Tornbergs WF cone,Rainier OD cone,Niborg,Acme 3.2% on side panel, Malt Syrup tins or labels,Uncle Dan's Root beer signs ,I-7 openers needed....BALBOA,UNION, ROGER WILLIAMS ALE
I live rent free in his head!
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

Hello again! I've been looking at my road atlas and trying to get a goog way to travel the Dakotas out of Minnesota. I need to knock both states off because out of the 50 states, I've been to 42 and Minnesota plus the two Dakotas will make 45.

Starting in the twin cities, I thought of going south on I-35 and then west on I-90 to Sioux Falls and then north on I-29 to Fargo, then west on I-94 to Bismarck and north on US 83 to Minot.

Minot is important because I want to see the Air Force Base, which is one of only two that still have active B-52s flying in and out.

Other options are I-94 out of the twin cities to Fargo, north on I-29 to Grand Forks and then west on US 2 to Minot.

From Minot, I would go south on US 83 to I-94 and then head south on US 85 to Rapids City, South Dakota, so that I can see Mount Rushmore.

As far as digging goes, look at the dug-by-states on the RB website, South Dakota has one report in the south east by Nebraska in the 1970s and North Dakota has no reports.

Has anyone recently dumped cans in the Dakotas? I'm thinking there might be lots of Minnesota, Montana, Wisconsin and Chicago brands out there as well as the national brands like Pabst, Schiltz and Bud. What are the soil and forest conditions like?

Both are big states, what can I expect to find out there?

Also, I still want to hook up with RBers while on the road, so far have invites in Washington, Oregon and Colorado and looking for more, send me a PM or email!

Thanks, Billy Devine
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Seems like they shipped the rare Michigan 12 oz Fox Deluxe cone to the Dakotas. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
Paul Letostak
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 557
BCCA Number: 30997
eBay name: paulcan
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
Slovakia

Post by Paul Letostak »

You will save some driving time going from Minn to Fargo, to Minot, to Rapid City. Taking 94 to Sioux Falls, then North to Fargo, is a pleasant drive, but going straight to Fargo is the way to go. I had a friend in the late 70's whose family traveled every summer to North Dakota. He would bring back dumpers, looking back it was typical 50's stuff from Minn and Wisc, like Golden grain, Schmidt's City Club, etc. Unfortunately, he's not active in the hobby, so no dumping stories from North Dakota from him. Good luck on your trip. Last summer, I visited Mount Rushmore, was not able to go dumping, but possibilities around the CCC lake halfway between Deadwood and Mount Rushmore. The name begins with a "P", don't remember it though. The problem was the dam was raised in the 50's, and the lake covered the original CCC sites. But, 2 tracks head out from the main road, so there are possibilities.

Paul
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

Tomorrow morning I hit the road, so what happens today...

I break the latch on my door so now I have to reach out outside the window to open the driver side door. No time to fix it.

Then I twist my ankle bringing in some beer to the house!

Painful fall, but, I'm hitting the road tomorrow morning. Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and the Addies in New York by this time tomorrow. Taking US 2 and other stae roads, hope to find something tomorrow.

Gonna be in Detroit on Sunday, thinking of seeing a Tigers game at 1pm but might be sold out?? Anyone going on Sunday with an extra ticket? send a PM.

I should have wifi on the road at most places.

Billy D.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

E&B brewing co. still stands in Detroit not far from the new Tiger Stadium. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

I'm taking the American Breweries II book with me, I want to take pictures of old breweries!
chaunasknight
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 425
BCCA Number: 28097
eBay name: hop_gold
Year Started Collecting: 1984
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by chaunasknight »

Sounds like you will be passing through Vancouver Washington. I wish I knew of a sure thing dump close to take you to, but I can offer to show you a couple collections, just let me know when you are passing through.
Looking for the following Lilek #'s:
Alt Heidelberg 26, 27 Columbia 185 Finer Flavor 270 271 Hop Gold 400 404 Sick's 749 750 Silver Springs 763 Rainier 702A Rheinlander 733 Town Club 790 Ye Old English Ale 398
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

oldindiapaleale wrote:I'm taking the American Breweries II book with me, I want to take pictures of old breweries!

If you wanted to stop by my house I'll show you where Pfeiffer & Regal Brewing co still stands, E&B & Detroit brewing co also. LEON.
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

Leon wrote:
oldindiapaleale wrote:I'm taking the American Breweries II book with me, I want to take pictures of old breweries!

If you wanted to stop by my house I'll show you where Pfeiffer & Regal Brewing co still stands, E&B & Detroit brewing co also. LEON.
Hi Leon, haven't had any internet since from Thursday until tonight, so missed out on your offer. I did get to see a lot of Detroit's downtown today. Ran into the street with E&B Brewery but i was in the low numbers and the street dead ended or something, drove around but kept getting bounced around with one ways and missed turned. Backed up for half a block on Woodward to make a right turn I missed! etc., etc.
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

Been on the road now for three days and have travelled 1,244 miles from Bath, Maine to Saginaw, Michigan.

Took US 2 from Mexico, Maine to Rouses Point, New York and made note of some places to check on when I get back home. Saw the raising of the travelling 9-11 Flag when I drove into Rouses Point. What a coincidence.

Took New York state route 3 through the Adirondacks. Made several stops on side roads. Found a couple of mystery flat tops and an embossed Garrett's Wine bottle which looked interesting. Hopefully the mystery flats will clean up to be Rheingolds!

Tomorrow, I'll be in the Michigan Upper Peninsula.

I need to dig Johnny Pfeiffers!!

Next wifi hot spot tomorrow night or Tuesday, I don't know?
Attachments
9-11 flag in Rousse's Point NY.
9-11 flag in Rousse's Point NY.
one of the buildings at the Genesee Brewery in Rochester, NY. It's great they are still in business!
one of the buildings at the Genesee Brewery in Rochester, NY. It's great they are still in business!
abandoned train station in vermont
abandoned train station in vermont
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

That train station reminds me of a story about Bob Meyers & Will Anderson I think it was that found some nice cans in a Attic of a Similar old train station in north east. Some Waldorfs found in a train station attic in Alabama before to. Should of checked that one out :shock: Finding Johnny Pfeiffers in U.P. should not be to hard to do. LEON.
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

Today was a pretty good day of dumping in the UP. Dumper5 gave me a good lead but somehow I either managed to miss it or else it was too overgrown with vegetation and flooded. Managed to get stuck but was lucky to get towed out pretty quick. By coincidence the guy who pulled me out also runs the motel where I'm staying. I highly recommend the Fox River Motel when you're in the Seney area.

Anyhow, took a state road north out of town and checked a lot of side roads. Found a sweet spot in a wooded roadside ditch. Spotted Oil cans and then beer bottles and cans. All common stuff but since it was in the ground covered with dirt the cans have nice color. The picture is from the second batch as I went back again a few hours later. I ripped up that hill just like LC400! :smt005

Lots of Drewrys Mountie cans, Drewerys zips, Other cans found: Bosch flat and zip; Blatz, Pabst, Strohs, Graf's 50/50 flat; Carling; Hamms aluminum. Even a Ballantine ale with Michigan tax lid. Cans probably date from the end of flat tops to start of zips. Lots of transisition pairs.

What years were the Drewrys Mountie flats on sale?
Attachments
Duh, I thought i could get around the mud?!?
Duh, I thought i could get around the mud?!?
Fresh out of the ground with a water rinse.
Fresh out of the ground with a water rinse.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

I found those same Ballantines near HELL (lower east of michigan) about 2 months back in a Ravine dump. LEON.
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

Tried my luck at dumping in North Dakota today. Eastern part of the state is all flat farmland with rows of trees along the farm borders and lots of dirt roads. I was on state highway 17 out of Grafton when I spotted a row of trees, an old farm and a dirt road and decided to check it out. Nothing was visable and the vegetation was pretty thick so I drove further in, decided to turn around and GOT STUCK IN A DITCH!! Again :smt013
I called in AAA but call kept breaking up, being on the edge of a no coverage area. Flagged down a guy and his daughter in a pick up truck and they had me pulled out within a couple of minutes. I can't say enough how good folks are when you need help.
I think I've had enough of dirt roads for a while.
US-2 heading into Minot was still flooded, drove through 6 inches of moving water. East bound side was closed under two feet of water. The city is drying out, big mounds of dirt and mud everywhere on US-83, lots of flooded out businesses, churches, homes. This has been a rough year for wild weather in the USA (as well as Japan, New Zealand, etc.)
Made it to Minot AFB and got to see 4 B52s taking off from the highway where I turned off onto yet another dirt road! You can not hear these planes standing in front of them. Once you are behind the jet engines they are like screaming whistling banshees!!
In Bismarck tonight, will look for more cans on way to Mt. Rushmore in South Dakato and Devil's Tower in Wyoming tomorrow.
Attachments
Checking out a spot for cans on a dirt road when a BNSF train with 100 cars comes through at 70mph!
Checking out a spot for cans on a dirt road when a BNSF train with 100 cars comes through at 70mph!
These 50 year old Bombers were a lot closer and louder than picture suggests.
These 50 year old Bombers were a lot closer and louder than picture suggests.
I saw these in the Tucson Pima Air museum last year.
I saw these in the Tucson Pima Air museum last year.
driving through river water, after being stuck twice, I figured I'd washed of the road
driving through river water, after being stuck twice, I figured I'd washed of the road
Carl S
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 294
BCCA Number: 29503
eBay name: rustyguy
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Switzerland

Post by Carl S »

If you are taking US-2 all the way to Seattle, I'll give you directions to the Grand Coulee dump. And would be cool for you to check out the big dam too.
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

Carl S wrote:If you are taking US-2 all the way to Seattle, I'll give you directions to the Grand Coulee dump. And would be cool for you to check out the big dam too.
Hi Carl, today I headed south on US-83 to Pierre, South Dakota and then west on I-90 to Wall, SD.

Everything has come to a GRINDING halt as my transmission is messed up and needs a big $$ replacement. Stuck here through at least Tuesday. At least the rodeo is in town tomorrow, haven't been to a rodeo since 1958 when I met John Bromfield who played the Sheriff of Cochise on TV. I was a thrilled kid!

Anyhow, this is a setback and may have change plans once I'm back on the road. I know from past travels that hot weather and steep inclines in the rockies are not a goog thing.

Maybe I can do some dumping in Wall or at least clean up what I've found with the Oxalic I brought. Check out the picture. I'm sure these abandoned structures have been picked clean of everything. Anyone have any luck with them?
Attachments
Right on highway 10 in South Dakota
Right on highway 10 in South Dakota
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

This roadtrip has come to a disappointing end for me. Got a huge bill for the transmission job but thought I could continue on. Went west as far as Gillette, Wyoming, when truck would not start, got a jump and it died 2 miles down the road. $301 to fix it?!? These repair shops really have you by the shorthairs when you're on the road! :smt021 :smt013

Anyhow, I'm throwing in the towel, heading back east. Drove from Gillette, Wyoming to Austin, Minnesota, today. Going through Wisconsin tomorrow, might check out some breweries, starting at LaCrosse.
stringsx24now
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 309
BCCA Number: 26795
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by stringsx24now »

Oldindiapaleale:
I am just east of Austin, MN--Rochester--just off of I-90. If it works out with timing, you could stop by and view the collection for a little while. PM me and I can give you my phone number.

Oh, just re-read the post. I think you just passed by earlier today. If not, the offer still stands.
collector of Sick's Select, Senate, and Congress cans and breweriana; beer bags; as well as other fun stuff
Looking for Schuster Brewing of Rochester, MN items and Meyer Brewing of Bloomington, IL

Shows attended in 2024:
LaCrosse, WI show, January
Freeze Your Can, St. Paul, MN, February
North Star Spring show, Bloomington, MN, March

Collections seen in 2024:
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 32564
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

Hey just checking out this thread, like leon said you drove right through my back yard when you were in rouses point, also tom lapier lives in mooers which is even closer than me. Next time you should post your intended travel route(unless you did and i didnt see it), i could have steered you towards some decent dumps! Bummer on your car problems and yes they have you by the shorty's when your traveling.

mike
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
captain
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 899
BCCA Number: 29129
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by captain »

thanks again for the tip!, Oldindiapale ale--I got up there and worked on the vein for about two hours the next week, I started too find some Altes stuff and one or two Phieffer scenics(really roasted) but one of the Altes early zips turned out pretty nice---I didnt want too keep going and undermine the road--It's a pretty large buried dump man... really good eye too realize thats there-and just like you said- you drive up and look in the ditch and walla it's there..
-Olive Drabs -Quarts-Wisconsin cans-Michigan
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

Hi Captain, good to hear you found the spot, was wondering if you did. I bet that when they widened the road they just dumped dirt on top of all the trash and old cans. Probably a bunch more there but then the road would probably cave in.

Back home, still need to clean up the rusty cans. Should get to that next week. 95 degrees today, too hot for Maine!
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

captain wrote:thanks again for the tip!, Oldindiapale ale--I got up there and worked on the vein for about two hours the next week, I started too find some Altes stuff and one or two Phieffer scenics(really roasted) but one of the Altes early zips turned out pretty nice---I didnt want too keep going and undermine the road--It's a pretty large buried dump man... really good eye too realize thats there-and just like you said- you drive up and look in the ditch and walla it's there..

That Altes zip top you found, Was it a red can with white label or white can with red label? :smt017 LEON.
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

Got around to cleaning the cans from the recent roadtrip that ended too early.

These are from Michigan's UP. The Captain took over the week after I left and had some good luck at that spot as well as other locations in that area. See his thread.

The color was nice coming right out of the ground, although a lot of these cans had holes and heavy rust blobs along the seams and lids.

Odd thing about the Bosch zips: Found 4 of them without bottoms and figured that a rotary can opener was used but they don't have any gear marks. In fact they appear as if they were never filled, however just thrown away with all the other trash.

By the way, the mystery flats that I found in the New York Adirondacks turned out to be a Ballantine 34-4 or 34-5 and a Ruppert in the 126-8 to 126-12 series.

Still plenty of stuff out there!
Attachments
Found 9 Drewrys with the Mountie on back and a variety of flats and zips.
Found 9 Drewrys with the Mountie on back and a variety of flats and zips.
Bosch zip top brewed in the UP.
Bosch zip top brewed in the UP.
Looks like this can never had a bottom, never filled?
Looks like this can never had a bottom, never filled?
Flat_Top
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 721
BCCA Number: 15216
eBay name: beer-1
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Flat_Top »

Those Bosch cans seem to have rolled lips. Probably drinking cups given away.
Chuck
Michigan Cans wanted
Sell your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island!
Rockbob
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 824
BCCA Number: 30760
eBay name: rockbobford
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rockbob »

Those cans from the UP look like the stuff I found in Covington, Mi. on Ford Rd. Same brands and condition. Its a big surface dump thats mostly beer cans.
Attachments
HPIM0807.jpg
RockBob, Rocko, Rockford Bob, Pinhead
Collector of all things from Chicago and cans I dig
Ironguts Union #11
LC400
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:

Post by LC400 »

OMG!!! I been dumping in that white Chevy before..too cool Bill,,can't wait ill we can rip some more cans bro!!! Be safe and enjoy ya trip!!! Wooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo :smt026
"ANTHRAX won't KILL you if you just listen to it"
captain
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 899
BCCA Number: 29129
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by captain »

really nice--Rockbob----Time for another Captain--- seeing that stuff raises my bloodpressure at least 30 points...
-Olive Drabs -Quarts-Wisconsin cans-Michigan
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Ukraine

My how time flies... back in Seney, Michigan, the UP.
Drove around from Seney to Shingleton to Munising to Grand Marais back to Seney then to Blaney Park to Manistique and back to Seney. Checked out a lot of dirt roads but with no luck, as usual, except for the one spot I hit back in 2011.
Only spent about a half hour there, pulled out a dozen cans. Two are really bad mysteries, more Drewrys mounties, Strohs flat and zip, Carlings zip.
Nice color coming out of the ground, as shown in the pictures. Will clean them up when I get back home.
Attachments
012.JPG
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Dumping Trips and Stories”