Have you ever seen a flex piece like this on an exhaust?

Use this forum to discuss other items not related to Beer Cans and Dumping.

Moderators: Current Officers, Previous Officers

pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Have you ever seen a flex piece like this on an exhaust?

Post by pinnacle-project »

It's time to pass my daughter's 2000 Infiniti G20 on to another person. Before we sell it, I am fixing a few cheaper issues to make it as saleable as possible.

Her car is nearly as loud as a fighter jet on takeoff. I looked underneath and discovered the original flex portion of her exhaust had previously degraded and had been replaced with a new flex piece which had also degraded.

Flex areas I have seen in the past have a braided steel look like this picture below. While they do not last forever, they are pretty tough.

Exhaust.JPG

Here is the part I removed from her car. I have never seen anything like this before on an exhaust. It appears to be some kind of plastic/rubber material with a springy piece of wire running through it. As you can see, the plastic/rubber material is extremely dry and brittle. Not surprising since this thing sits about two feet from the exhaust manifold.

20200427_152103.jpg

Has anyone ever seen a flex piece like this used on an exhaust? Maybe this really is a legitimate part but I am speculating some backyard mechanic fixed the previous problem with what he had available to him. The piece reminds me a longer version of hose you would typically see used as an air intake above the engine.

I ended up going to Advanced Auto Parts and buying a super cheap universal piece of flex pipe. It came with one clamp so I had to buy a second one. All total it came to $13. I already had leftover exhaust cement so no cost for that.

Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
Mizmo64
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 2
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 908
BCCA Number: 33072
eBay name: Mizmo64
Year Started Collecting: 0
Zodiac:

Re: Have you ever seen a flex piece like this on an exhaust?

Post by Mizmo64 »

I have some 10' sections of hose just like that to run from the tail pipe under the garage door to allow me to work on a running car with the garage door almost closed. Never gave it any thought to use as a exhaust repair.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Interests”