Air Impact Wrenches

Use this forum to discuss other items not related to Beer Cans and Dumping.

Moderators: Current Officers, Previous Officers

pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Air Impact Wrenches

Post by pinnacle-project »

I love tools and anytime I can come up with an excuse to buy one, I take it.

I need to replace both sway bar links on my daughter's 2000 Infiniti G20. Sway bar links are pretty cheap so it's a small investment since my labor will be free. Since she is a poor college student, this is a good thing. I am sure I could remove each of the existing sway bar links with a typical ratchet wrench, cheater bar, and PB Blaster but that's pretty boring. I do not have any air tools. Maybe that should change. An air impact wrench has more muscle than me even with a cheater bar. It is also an "impact" wrench so there is more to it than muscle. Have you found the impact aspect of an air wrench helps you out a lot with projects? The impact aspect would break the rust but muscle/leverage does that too.

If I do get an air impact wrench, I know the prices vary widely. I will definitely not buy any crap from Harbor Freight but on the other hand, I can't justify a $500 tool either. I was browsing Amazon. This DeWalt would probably be sufficient for the infrequent use I would give it.

What are your thoughts?

Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
kamsquared
RB Supply Organizer
RB Supply Organizer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 861
BCCA Number: 31804
eBay name: kamsquared
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:
Finland

Re: Air Impact Wrenches

Post by kamsquared »

That's actually a pretty good gun for the price. Usually the big difference between a really good impact (or other air tool) and a poor one are the internal clearances. The cheaper ones have high clearances so they go through your air really fast...... The tighter guns will give good torque and not bleed air like crazy so you can use them with a smaller air tank/compressor.
That Dewalt gun is about mid-range so it won't eat a lot of air and Dewalt is a good quality piece. I may get one as a back up!!!
Kamsquared
"I have your car towed all the way to your house and all you've got for me is *Lite* beer?"
Biff Tannen (Back To The Future)
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

1/2 Inch drive is for the big sockets. make sure you got the bigger sockets instead on the usual 3/8 drive. I'd recommend a adequate size Air compressor, not one you use to fill basketballs & bicycle tires. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Thanks for the information.

I think of my air compressor as being a medium size. It's an old Sanborn twin cylinder from Minnesota with a 22 gallon tank and tops out at 150 psi. If I was grinding or sanding, I suspect it would cycle on and off a lot with that size tank but it seems like it would be fine for an impact wrench.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

I went ahead and ordered this tool. As it turns out, the price of $72.40 earlier this week was a mistake which Amazon soon corrected to $132.99. I called them to see if they would give it to me at the price of $72.40. Not surprisingly, they did not do that but they were nice enough to knock $30 off the price so I am happy.

2023 Shows Attended

Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 32564
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

I know it's too late but in the future you may want to consider a cordless electric impact. They have come a long way in recent years and pack a huge punch in a small package.

Mike s
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Mike S wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:25 pm I know it's too late but in the future you may want to consider a cordless electric impact. They have come a long way in recent years and pack a huge punch in a small package.

Mike s

When you say cordless electric do you mean battery operated? LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Mike S wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:25 pm I know it's too late but in the future you may want to consider a cordless electric impact. They have come a long way in recent years and pack a huge punch in a small package.

Mike s

I know I am unusual in this sense but I avoid battery operated tools for the most part. My complaint with any battery powered tool is that once the battery wears out, the tool is nearly worthless because buying replacement batteries is expensive (if they are even available). The convenience of battery powered tools is hard to beat though so I have two.

2023 Shows Attended

Longhorn Mike
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 23865
Year Started Collecting: 1979
United States of America

Post by Longhorn Mike »

I understand that you want to stay away from Harbor Freight, but some of their tools are pretty good alternatives considering the price. Their Earthquake battery powered impact wrench is great and I imagine it will last a long time with home use.

The Hercules battery drill is also a great alternative to more expensive brands at home Depot. When they are on sale or their is the big 25% off coupon, they can be had for as low $79, compared to $180 at the big box stores.

You are correct, once the battery dies, they are expensive to replace. I get a lot of use out of my battery operated drill and other tools so I buy a new pair of batteries every two to three years. Remember to take the old batteries to the recycle bin at home Depot.

- Mike
Collector of Texas and Louisiana cans and signs.

Iron Guts Union #21
[
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 32564
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

Yes i totally agree with you on the batteries.....But the newer brushless drivers are way cheaper than they used to be. I got a dewalt 20v driver for just over $100. It's super powerful and i built a deck a couple of months ago. 12x12 and i used lots of lag bolts for the frame, maybe 80 or so plus all the screws. For the whole deck it took me 4 batteries. Usually when driving long screws or lags it kills them quick and it seems like you kill the batteries before the next one is charged, not even close in this case.
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Interests”