LETS SEE YOU FAVORITE FIREARM

Use this forum to discuss other items not related to Beer Cans and Dumping.

Moderators: Current Officers, Previous Officers

Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 126
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: LETS SEE YOU FAVORITE FIREARM

Post by Scott Rollert »

Were you shooting Tannerite targets? They do make quite a scene when hit and are loud. Those targets have been banned for the last 2 years in the Natl. Forests here in CO because of the high fire danger. I've been using the reactive "splatter" targets lately. I like being able to see the hits from 75 yards with the unaided eye.
Colt AR July 19 2014.jpg

The federal tax code is 10 times bigger than the Bible with none of the good news
Brewed in the Heart of the Snowclad Rockies
Looking for Lucky Lager with the date 2-3-58. Will trade heavy for one...
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 866
BCCA Number: 34752
Year Started Collecting: 2000
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

Scott Rollert wrote:Were you shooting Tannerite targets? They do make quite a scene when hit and are loud. Those targets have been banned for the last 2 years in the Natl. Forests here in CO because of the high fire danger. I've been using the reactive "splatter" targets lately. I like being able to see the hits from 75 yards with the unaided eye.
Colt AR July 19 2014.jpg
Yup that would be them! Friends a mile away heard them :shock:
Bantam - when you pop a Regal OI, everyone will want to dig with you and no one will give you crap anymore.... until then, Keep On Truckin" !
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 32564
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

Scott Rollert wrote:Were you shooting Tannerite targets? They do make quite a scene when hit and are loud. Those targets have been banned for the last 2 years in the Natl. Forests here in CO because of the high fire danger. I've been using the reactive "splatter" targets lately. I like being able to see the hits from 75 yards with the unaided eye.
Colt AR July 19 2014.jpg

I haven't used tannerite yet, been meaning to get some before they make it illegal here like everything else. ...But i thought tannerite exploded without any flame or risk of fire? Splatter targets are great but can be pricey for the amount i shoot!

mike s
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

The splatter targets have color matching patches that you stick over the hits. Lets you shoot the same target numerous times. The one in my pic is a 6" with 3" in the corners.
The federal tax code is 10 times bigger than the Bible with none of the good news
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

Scott Rollert wrote:The splatter targets have color matching patches that you stick over the hits. Lets you shoot the same target numerous times. The one in my pic is a 6" with 3" in the corners.
Scott i have a ton of those targets and lots of extra stickers but when i go shooting i usually bring several hundred rounds at least....Last weekend alone was about 150 45's, 150 9mm, 100 22's, 75 44 mags, 75 38's and 50 12 gauge. I have to keep making portable target stands too because they get blown out. The stand is just some cheap PVC pipe that hold 2 thin legs that i nail a thin board to. Good thing i have lots of scrap wood too. Did i mention i reload to support my habit and now I'm casting bullets too..
mike s
Attachments
IMG_20140824_152654_138.jpg
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

So a new gun shop opened less than 2 miles from me. I go in for the first time and left with this. I didn't mean to. The Rock Island mid size 1911 in 9mm/.22 TCM. They make a fine 1911, and this model comes with 2 interchangeable barrels. The 9mm is sweet shooting, and then there's the .22 TCM. There is such a thing as a steel punching .22 round. The recoil was about the same as the 9mm, but the round exits at 2,000 fps with a real healthy fireball out the end of the barrel. We actually stopped shooting the .22 round because it was punching holes through the 1/4" steel plate target.
RIA 1911.jpg
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

Haven't checked here in awhile. That is a nice RI 1911! They do make some good stuff. Never heard of the .22 TCM so i looked it up, sounds like a bad little cartridge! I just finished building this a week or so ago. All NY compliant but still fun too shoot. :smt023

mike s
Attachments
AR complete.jpeg
crimepup518@aol.com

Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

Any details on the build Mike? Is that considered a pistol in NY? I really like the Tru-Glo red dots. I replaced the grips on the 1911 with Hogue grips. Now it almost melts into my hand.
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

It's a rifle, that funky stock is a NY compliant stock because we are not allowed to have pistol grips. It's got a non threaded 16 inch bull barrel being we can't have threads or it would be considered a "assault rifle" It's a simulated 30 round mag that has been riveted to only hold 10 rounds because we're not responsible enough in NY to have any more than 10 rounds. The rest of it's just your basic mil spec parts from various companies.

mike s
crimepup518@aol.com

ANGRY GARY
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 552
BCCA Number: 33293
Zodiac:
Switzerland

Post by ANGRY GARY »

CHRISTMAS MORNING HERE AND THIS WAS UNDER THE TREE. COURTESY OF MY OLDEST DAUGHTER AND SON IN LAW!
A NICE SIG SAUER SIG M400 5.56 . IT CAME WITH A MAGPUL MBUS REAR SIGHT (WHICH I WILL USE UNTIL MY NEW TOYS ARRIVE). AND A 4 WAY PICCATINNY RAIL SET-UP

I ORDERED A VORTEX CROSSFIRE II 4X24 WITH V-BRITE RETICLE, A MAGPUL AMBIDEXTEROUS RECEIVER SLING MOUNT AND AN ATAC SINGLE POINT SLING. AND SATURDAY GOING TO PICK UP A FEW 30 RD. MAGAZINES AND 1000 RDS. . I SOLD MY BUSHMASTER A WHILE BACK AND THE ONLY .223 I HAVE WAS A NICE 35 YEAR OLD RUGER MINI-14. CAN'T GO OUT ANYWHERE WITHOUT SOMEONE OFFERING TO PONY UP A BAG OF CASH FOR IT!

MAYBE SOME PICTURES FROM THE RANGE HERE SOON!

ag
Attachments
sig1.JPG
DSC04878.JPG
I have had the great privilege of dumping with 68 current and former Rusty Bunch members, to date. Got to hit the woods of Virginia with Charlie Smigo recently.
Flat_Top
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 721
BCCA Number: 15216
eBay name: beer-1
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Flat_Top »

AG that is one nice Sig
Chuck
Michigan Cans wanted
Sell your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island!
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

Gotta love kids that have dad's best interests at heart! The guy I got my Colt from picked up a Sig earlier this year, and loves it. Can't wait to see what the quad rail looks like in 6 months, it'll be like decorating a Christmas tree!

Good timing for the ammo, too. Availability & prices are stabilizing for .223/5.56. I got some bulk Lake City green tip for 30¢ a round, as well as Blazer brass 9mm for 19¢ a round.
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

That's awesome, pretty much anything that says SIG is quality stuff. Can't wait to hear some shooting reports!

Scott you need to start reloading! I think the prices of .223/5.56 are insane, at least in my area. I remember when you could buy 1,000 rounds for $120 but i can still reload it for about $150-170 depending on what bullets , powder and loads i use. This does not include brass though but if you save it and find it at the range it adds up quick. Gander mountain had a "special" for a 1,000 rounds @ $499, hopefully it's cheaper where you live. I reload everything except .22, 7.62 X 25, 39 and 54 but that russian ammo is pretty cheap.

mike s
crimepup518@aol.com

ANGRY GARY
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
Switzerland

Post by ANGRY GARY »

sites on the web have .223 for around $330-$350 for 1000 rounds. haven't been to my favorite gun shop yet. he has two types of ammo. those for sale to and knucklehead that walks in the door and he has ammo for sale to people who have purchased firearms from him in the past. i fall into the latter of the two so i will see what it runs me here soon.
I have had the great privilege of dumping with 68 current and former Rusty Bunch members, to date. Got to hit the woods of Virginia with Charlie Smigo recently.
ANGRY GARY
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
Switzerland

Post by ANGRY GARY »

Mike,
what is your thoughts on the russian steel cased ammo? i hear stories that run from one end of the spectrum to the other. about the steel casing having a lot more wear and tear on the weapon.

i also picked up my scope for it last week. i ended up going with a NcSTAR mark III 4x32 quick release scope. i am not the type of guy who will baby my rifle so i will try this one and see how it holds up. i put a laser round in it to get it semi close and did the two shot zero method. lets see how it holds zero.

and my 35 year old mini-14 is due an overhaul. the bluing is rusting in places. i am checking out a local gunsmith who swears by cerakote. familiar with it? thoughts?

AG

AG
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

Save the Russian steel case stuff(or any steel case) for the Russian guns like mosins and sks. If you have a chromed line barrel/bore i heard it's ok in a AR but i personally wouldn't use it. I wont even buy the aluminum blazer stuff though i did shoot some i got for free. You can't reload it and even if you don't reload you can still sell your once fired brass or at the very least scrap it. I'm a scrounger and every time i go to the range i pick up all the brass. If i reload for it i save it, some i sell and the rest goes in the scrap bucket. Right now i have a 5 gallon bucket full of scrap and made well over $100 selling.
I don't have any cerakote guns and not familiar except pictures. Lots of choices of colors and designs but i have no idea how durable it is. I would imagine it is being its basically ceramic right? How bad is the rust? If it's not bad try a little 00 steel wool and a good gun oil, should come right off unless you're talking about pitting.
crimepup518@aol.com

ANGRY GARY
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
Switzerland

Post by ANGRY GARY »

i thought about the 00 steel wool. don't see any pitting. just haven't had time to take all apart and give it a good looking over.. the gun has been with me longer than anything and anyone and i want to do it up right. thanks for advice on the steel ammo.
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

I agree with Mike regarding the steel cased ammo. Some good videos on Youtube showing how thin the copper is on that ammo. My Colt AR loves Lake City, and the price for it has been coming down. Last can I picked up was green tip for 30¢ a round.

I'm getting myself a birthday present this week. Got a good deal on a Ruger LCP9s. The striker trigger is a quantum improvement for this pistol. Nice CC upgrade!
RB Supply Organizer
RB Supply Organizer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 861
BCCA Number: 31804
eBay name: kamsquared
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:
Finland

Post by kamsquared »

My grandma Impi's Winchester Model 90 .22 W.R.F. octagon barrel pump. Patents date back to June 26,1888. This one is from about 1930-ish......brings tears to my eyes........
IMG_2382[1].JPG
Kamsquared
"I have your car towed all the way to your house and all you've got for me is *Lite* beer?"
Biff Tannen (Back To The Future)
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

kamsquared wrote:My grandma Impi's Winchester Model 90 .22 W.R.F. octagon barrel pump. Patents date back to June 26,1888. This one is from about 1930-ish......brings tears to my eyes........
IMG_2382[1].JPG

Man i love those old Winchesters. I have a 92 takedown which is very similar to yours. I'll post a pic when i get a chance, right now just setting up a new comp and all my links.

mike s
crimepup518@aol.com

Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

A customer in my shop the other day said he had a pistol I'd like seeing. Goes to his office and comes back with this. His mothers Hi Standard .22, with the original box & papers. Sales receipt was from 1956. Beautiful!

My late mother also had a Hi Standard she shot. My brother has it now, and we occasionally shoot it in her memory. The Hi Standard is one accurate pistol and real fun to shoot.
High Standard pic.jpg
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 866
BCCA Number: 34752
Year Started Collecting: 2000
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

Technically not a firearm but a nice new toy to play with :smile:
image.jpg
image.jpg
Bantam - when you pop a Regal OI, everyone will want to dig with you and no one will give you crap anymore.... until then, Keep On Truckin" !
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

Scott Rollert wrote:A customer in my shop the other day said he had a pistol I'd like seeing. Goes to his office and comes back with this. His mothers Hi Standard .22, with the original box & papers. Sales receipt was from 1956. Beautiful!

My late mother also had a Hi Standard she shot. My brother has it now, and we occasionally shoot it in her memory. The Hi Standard is one accurate pistol and real fun to shoot.
High Standard pic.jpg

Haven't been to this thread in awhile. Is that hi standard a HD military? My brother has one of those, great little gun and they aren't too cheap either. Quite a few new acquisitions for me in last 6-12 months.....Glock 21, marlin 44 mag, saiga AK and taurus circuit judge to name a few. Not crazy about anything made by taurus but the price was right.
crimepup518@aol.com

Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

Did I need another .22 plinking pistol? No. Did I want this when I saw it's debut at this year's Shot Show? Absolutely! So on to the wish list it went. I sold 2 watches that I didn't have much into, so now I had 2/3rds of it paid for. Pulled the trigger (pun intended) and now I have the Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory. This new model replaces the discontinued 22A/22S, and is quite the upgrade. Ran 250 rounds through it to start getting things broken in. Not too concerned about getting it sighted in at the time, besides it was 33º and snowing. Love the fiber optic sights, the interchangeable rail for optics, bull barrel and the ease of takedown for cleaning. Did I mention it's all stainless steel?
SW22 Victory.jpg
I think my favorite 1911 has competition as to which gets fired first out of the case.
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

That's a nice little pea shooter there! I have been busy with this hobby as well. I had to pick this safe up last weekend because i ran out of room plus i like the added security.
Attachments
IMG_20160507_142844085[1].jpg
IMG_20160507_135004335[1].jpg
crimepup518@aol.com

Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

Got some time this weekend to put more rounds through the Victory. I added a Hogue grip and a red dot. We were shooting 10 yards off a bench. Pretty accurate little pistol!
The 2 add ons.
The 2 add ons.
Group with open fiber optic sights.
Group with open fiber optic sights.
5 rounds with red dot.
5 rounds with red dot.
Another 10 with the red dot.
Another 10 with the red dot.
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

Nice shootin! I have been wanting to get a browning buckmark which looks similar in design to your victory. They are supposed to be very accurate as well. Next thing i need to get though is some quality optics and rings for the howa axiom in .243 that i got the same time i got the safe. It's the rifle on the left in the safe picture but it's kind of dark. It already has a rail and the mag conversion kit, the guy that owned it said it was a tack driver.
crimepup518@aol.com

Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

Nothing wrong with the Browning. The Victory was designed as a modular pistol, meaning it's ease of take down & upgrading. Volquarsten already has 2 match grade barrels available. Remove 2 screws and it's completely disassembled for cleaning. Lots of you tube videos detailing the pistol. Being all stainless steel with the bull barrel, it's like you're shooting a pellet gun.
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 668
BCCA Number: 20841
eBay name: johnboi71
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
Germany

Post by RustyRaindog »

Make your own splatter targets! Neon colored paper then cover with clear tape and spraypaint flat black. Works as well as the commercial target for pennies per target!
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

Splatter targets are a gift for those of us with aging eyes. I'll have to try that. Make some silhouette targets for distance shooting.

I got the nagging ejecting issues solved with the Victory today. 250 flawlessly fired rounds at bowling pin targets. Ate everything I fed it. Great recoil therapy!

Return to “Other Interests”