Cougars In Upper Peninsula

Use this forum to discuss other items not related to Beer Cans and Dumping.

Moderators: Current Officers, Previous Officers

BrianS
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 0

Re: Cougars In Upper Peninsula

Post by BrianS »

Hey Daniel J.,
Mama dinosaur looks a lot like Mr.Ed! :smt006

The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu-
Wheaton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 485
BCCA Number: 23320
eBay name: michicander
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wheaton »

Brian, thanks for posting that article. It substantiates the point you made and provides me with additional confirmation that the Michigan DNR is completely full of it. As if I needed any more evidence of that...

The one I saw was in Marquette County, and I notice in the article that other sightings have taken place there. There was actually another one right down the road from my old house in south central Jackson County. It was taking out livestock at a local ranch for a few weeks. While I didn't see that one myself, the evidence from the livestock carcasses made a very good case for wildcats. That wasn't far from Ingham County, another location called out in the article.

Bottom line: they're probably all over the place but until the DNR commissioner gets his throat torn out by one on public TV, they shall not exist. :munky2:
JOIN THE IRONGUTS UNION
We don't pay no stinkin' dues - we drink 'em!

D. L. Wheaton, President
I.G.U. Local 1
Holland, Michigan

Endorsing all products from the Burnin' Rubber Brewing Company, particularly Old Finland Seabottom Over-Ripe Sulfuric Goat Cheese IPA. A Scandinavian favorite since 1840.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by Leon »

I remember seeing a Bobcat or Lynx in West Virginia a few years ago, are these popular in that state? Seen a few Red Fox's in Michigan. Found a few Red Fox's too ;) LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
BrianS
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by BrianS »

Seen a few Red Fox's in Michigan
You can see them in the city of Detroit now, as nature retakes what were once residential neighborhoods. I see red-tailed hawks when I walk Cody the wonder husky at Mt. Olivet Cemetery in the city.The hawks love eating the cemetery's squirrels!
Hell, maybe the cougars will be back!
Last edited by BrianS on Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Sun Tzu-
BrianS
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by BrianS »

Brian, thanks for posting that article. It substantiates the point you made and provides me with additional confirmation that the Michigan DNR is completely full of it.
Dave,
No problem. There are too many bureaucrats and civil servants permeating an agency that is supposed to protect the outdoors/environment!
I envy you. I can't wait until I spot one of those magnificent cats! Maybe on the next backwoods fishing trip!
-Sun Tzu-
BrianS
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by BrianS »

Be on the look-out for coyotes too! They've moved to my suburb!
Eastpointe cops: Coyote was spotted so watch your pets

BY CHRISTINA HALL
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Eastpointe police said today that it has received calls within the past few days regarding at least one coyote sighting in the city and one cat that was found dead and half-eaten.

Police are warning residents, particularly those in the 10 Mile to Stephens and Kelly to I-94 area to watch their pets.

Coyote sightings are not unusual in metro Detroit, with numerous sightings or pet deaths reported in all of the Grosse Pointes within the last few months.

Grosse Pointe Woods and Grosse Pointe Shores teamed up with a company that traps coyotes to try to catch a coyote that is believed to have snatched a dog from its yard in Grosse Pointe Woods and was living in the area of the Lochmoor Club. A Grosse Pointe Farms lieutenant shot and killed a coyote in December after spotting it at the Country Club of Detroit.

Coyotes also have been spotted in other metro Detroit communities, including Bloomfield Hills and Troy.

Public safety and wildlife officials said residents should watch small pets and not leave food outside to attract coyotes.
-Sun Tzu-
chateaudebris
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 411
BCCA Number: 28176
eBay name: chateaudebris
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:

Post by chateaudebris »

its a wild world out there :smt007
Attachments
phpXEInrrPM.jpg
till the next dump!
BrianS
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by BrianS »

But where or where are the Wolverines?

Alas, the wolverine is dead! :smt010
Only known wolverine in the Michigan wild dies

By Dawson Bell
Free Press Lansing Bureau

The only known wolverine in the wilds of Michigan has been found dead in the Thumb area, near where it was first spotted in 2004.

The female wolverine, found Saturday by a pair of hikers near a beaver dam in the Minden City State Game Area, appears to have died from natural causes, said Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Environment spokeswoman Mary Detloff.

A necropsy will be performed at a DNRE lab at Michigan State University, Detloff said. The department plans to eventually mount the animal for display at the Bay City State Game Area, she said.

The wolverine was first spotted in Huron County in February 2004 by a group of coyote hunters, and confirmed by DNR officers. It had been seen only sporadically since. Conservation officials and local advocates kept release of information about the animal to a minimum to protect it, Detloff said.

Although Michigan is known as the Wolverine State, and the University of Michigan sports teams have spread the association far and wide, the Thumb wolverine is the only confirmed sighting of a wolverine here in the wild.
bilde.jpg
-Sun Tzu-
BrianS
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by BrianS »

From Upnorthlive.com and the Detroit News. Again, be careful RB UP dumpers!
Trail-Cam---Cougar_20120718113401_640_480.JPG
Trail-Cam---Cougar_20120718113401_640_480.JPG (47.19 KiB) Viewed 3581 times

MARQUETTE CO. -- There was a cougar photographed in southern Marquette County in early June.

Michigan Wildlife Conservancy officials are now releasing this picture to the public, saying it "might be the best, clearest photograph of a wild Michigan cougar ever taken."

The cougar was photographed on private property by a cased trail camera.

The camera's location was verified on a well-worn wildlife trail on a wooded ridge. The camera has also photographed wolves, coyotes, fishers and numerous other species over the four year period that its been there.

Michael Zuidema, a retired DNR forester has recorded over twenty credible cougar sightings in the same area since the 1970s, including several in the area of the camera.

Dr. Patrick Rusz said, in a press release, "the long history of sighting reports in the area indicates the cougar photographed [on June 1] may be part of a resident population rather than a wandering cat from a western state."
-Sun Tzu-
Wheaton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 485
BCCA Number: 23320
eBay name: michicander
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wheaton »

Wow. Glad they cleared that up for the rest of us (former) Michigan dullards. Had all but forgotten about this thread until this post. I re-read the whole thing, and what cracked me up the most was the assertion in that article that everybody's reported sightings were just bobcats. I was more up close and personal than I ever cared to be with two of those, living in Colorado (Fall River Road, midway up, and again on the Divide up above Montgomery Reservoir). Bummer for the MI DNR, some observant people actually recognize the difference.

I guess it's just me, but listening to governmental agencies telling the rest of us that we're 'tards just gets old to the point of being laughable. There's a dog barking in the woods as I type this, but I'm sure it's really just my imagination.

Gotta run now, there's a mastadon heading my way! Or is it a shrew? Geez, I'm really lost. Better call Michigan for a reality check...
JOIN THE IRONGUTS UNION
We don't pay no stinkin' dues - we drink 'em!

D. L. Wheaton, President
I.G.U. Local 1
Holland, Michigan

Endorsing all products from the Burnin' Rubber Brewing Company, particularly Old Finland Seabottom Over-Ripe Sulfuric Goat Cheese IPA. A Scandinavian favorite since 1840.
BrianS
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by BrianS »

bilde.jpg
Dave,
The latest stupidity is wolves in the LP. This is from Sunday's Detroit Free Press:
When is a wolf not a wolf? When DNA tests say it's a hybrid whose coyote ancestors mated with a wolf several generations back.

That's what the Department of Natural Resources believes about the handful of wolves that have been killed in the northern Lower Peninsula in the past few years.

A number of people beg to differ, saying that although wolves and coyotes do interbreed, the animals the DNR tested looked like wolves, were as big as wolves and were killed within 100 miles of the Upper Peninsula, which has a well-established population of gray wolves.

"The DNR doesn't have any money to manage a wolf population in the Lower Peninsula, and they don't want the social problems they'll get if wolves start eating pets and scaring people," said Dennis Fijalkowski, executive director of the Michigan Wildlife Conservancy in Bath. "So they'll call them coyotes in the Lower Peninsula and let hunters shoot them and eliminate the problem.

"But a lot of people have seen these animals, and no one would call them a coyote. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. And those animals are wolves."

Brian Roell is the DNR's wolf program coordinator in Marquette, managing the Upper Peninsula's population of 600-1,000 wolves. He said that although a few wolves have crossed the ice from the U.P. to the Lower Peninsula, the numbers are so low that they are undetectable.

Roell said that tests carried out on the animals that have been shot or trapped in the Lower Peninsula show that genetically they are coyotes, although they had many wolf characteristics such as longer legs and bigger bodies.

Fijalkowski answers, "A female coyote is 25-35 pounds. One of the wolves trapped in the Lower Peninsula was a young female that weighed 74 pounds. No matter what the (DNR) says, that was a wolf."

Genetics studies of coyotes and two wolf species, the gray wolf and eastern wolf, prove they crossbreed and that it might not be possible to slot the resulting animal neatly into a pigeonhole.

The eastern wolf survives mostly in eastern Ontario and Quebec. It used to be called the Canadian wolf and at that time was called a subspecies of the gray wolf, although many taxonomists now consider it a separate species.

Eastern wolves are smaller than gray wolves and usually are found where deer are the primary prey. The bigger gray wolves predominate in places where moose are more common, which makes sense because a moose is much bigger and harder to take down.

Gene studies have shown the eastern wolf to be similar to the red wolf of the southeastern U.S., which was driven to extinction in the wild and has been recovered by a program of captive breeding and releases.

But genetic studies also show that the red wolf shares 75-80% of its genes with the coyote, while studies in eastern Ontario show that the eastern wolf has a big chunk of gray wolf genes in some regions and coyote genes in others.

To muddy the waters even more, in some parts of North America many wolves carry genes from the coyote, eastern wolf and gray wolf, and might even have some domestic dog thrown in.

In a similar vein, for 10 years the DNR has been doing verbal battle with the Michigan Wildlife Conservancy over the status of cougars in Michigan. Despite hundreds of credible reports, many from the same small areas over decades, the DNR refused to acknowledge even the existence of the big cats in the state.

But the state agency has confirmed the presence of 16 cougars over the past four years, and the latest confirmation from an automatic trail camera in the central Upper Peninsula left no doubt as to the animal's identity.

However, the DNR still insists that cougars were extirpated from Michigan by the early 1900s, there's no proof they're breeding in Michigan today and that the animals it has confirmed probably had wandered in from Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Once again, the Michigan Wildlife Conservancy rejects that argument as a subterfuge by the DNR to avoid spending funds it doesn't have to manage an animal that is on the endangered species list.

"In 2003 we found cougar scat 100 yards from where the (DNR) confirmed the presence of a cougar in 2009. That can't be a coincidence," said Pat Rusz, director of wildlife programs for the Michigan Wildlife Conservancy.

Rusz said reports collected by the wildlife conservancy and others show that cougars continued to survive at low numbers in a few relatively remote areas, mostly in the U.P., and that the population might be increasing.

"This picture shows the species in all its glory," Rusz said. "Sometimes, when you get photographic clarity you also get clarity of thinking. We'd like the DNR to examine this and accept the possibility that we are dealing with a remnant population of these cats."
-Sun Tzu-
bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 866
BCCA Number: 34752
Year Started Collecting: 2000
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

Both the wolf and cougar are in same spot??? Look at both pics closely.
Bantam - when you pop a Regal OI, everyone will want to dig with you and no one will give you crap anymore.... until then, Keep On Truckin" !
BrianS
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by BrianS »

It was the wolf and the cougar on the grassy knoll!Check out Freep.com(Sunday, July 22. 2012)
here's the photo from the article I left out:
Coyote on top, so-called wolf /coyote hybrid on bottom.Notice the difference in SIZE!
bilde1.jpg
-Sun Tzu-
chaunasknight
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 425
BCCA Number: 28097
eBay name: hop_gold
Year Started Collecting: 1984
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by chaunasknight »

bantam10 wrote:Both the wolf and cougar are in same spot??? Look at both pics closely.
I noticed the same thing, Either the same trailcam or the same photoshop user.
Looking for the following Lilek #'s:
Alt Heidelberg 26, 27 Columbia 185 Finer Flavor 270 271 Hop Gold 400 404 Sick's 749 750 Silver Springs 763 Rainier 702A Rheinlander 733 Town Club 790 Ye Old English Ale 398
bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

Bantam - when you pop a Regal OI, everyone will want to dig with you and no one will give you crap anymore.... until then, Keep On Truckin" !
bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

This was in the lower by mcbain. Near my latest dumping trips.
8F7452FE-E3BB-49F5-8A43-0317B17BDFE0.jpeg
3C247EE3-EDA0-4681-8B6D-D3BEC44E48A3.jpeg
134777CC-2E2F-4C9C-A400-DBEDC4FA356B.jpeg
819EFE9C-C669-436F-BD60-E9C369E6DA2E.jpeg
FA324886-19C0-4197-8563-C0C013A963E0.jpeg
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

I'm not a hunter or camper so please forgive my ignorance. Is that a deer that somehow got up into a tree to escape a predator? I did not think a deer could get into a tree that appears to be what I am looking at.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
keithker
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 969
BCCA Number: 11507
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by keithker »

Seeing this thread for the first time I honestly had to look twice and make sure this just wasn't one of Jonny's UP thread's that he placed in the wrong forum......a fellow RBers knowledge of surrounding terrain and environs anytime one goes out digging so be foremost on their mind....
bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

pinnacle-project wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:04 pm I'm not a hunter or camper so please forgive my ignorance. Is that a deer that somehow got up into a tree to escape a predator? I did not think a deer could get into a tree that appears to be what I am looking at.
A cougar killed it and drug it up there for later. That’s part of their character.
bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

They’ve always been in Michigan. Both the UP and the lower. Above US-10.
canhawk
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 879
BCCA Number: 32975
eBay name: jeffd1637
Year Started Collecting: 1974
United States of America

Post by canhawk »

DNR this summer confirmed first cougar in Lower Peninsula since cougars were eradicated in the early 1900s
http://www.freep.com/story/news/2017/06 ... 439702001/
Jeff Dankert, Peru, IL
12 oz Midwest beer cans (Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri)
bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

My dumping grounds.
164FD655-470E-41EB-85D8-7506B6E3B789.png
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Despite those sightings, it's still probably a safer place to dump than some of the places Leon goes in Detroit.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

pinnacle-project wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:15 am Despite those sightings, it's still probably a safer place to dump than some of the places Leon goes in Detroit.
Safest place to be these days is in the woods.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

pinnacle-project wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:15 am Despite those sightings, it's still probably a safer place to dump than some of the places Leon goes in Detroit.

Your Probably right. not long ago found this burned out SUV near my privy digging spots. a dead body was found in the alley just before one of our Sunday Morning digs. Lost count but well over 10+ murders or dead bodies found in the area that I know of. LEON.
Attachments
AnotherBurnedSUV.JPG
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
zoinkss
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
eBay name: zoinkss
Year Started Collecting: 1969
United States of America

Post by zoinkss »

I was driving back from an old girlfriend's house in Houghton and it was early morning late Summer of 1996. A cougar loped across the road in front of me. Nobody ever believed me but I sat and watched it from my car for about half a minute. Only time I have ever seen one in the wild.
Looking for Waukesha beer, water & soda; cans, bottles and signs.
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

I saw this on the news the other day. It is where Bantam lives but not a big deal since it is only a black bear. All the same, it might scare somebody to death if they were hunched over a hole and the bear came up from behind for a closer look.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/ottawa-coun ... 1245294774

2023 Shows Attended

bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

Yeah, that’s the 2nd bear sighting here in 2018. Kinda unusual although there’s been reported sightings here for years. Up north above US-10 is officially bear country.
bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

BrianS
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by BrianS »

14d621a0-7b1f-43b6-99ac-8e7f3f58b8d9-Cougar-2.jpg
-Sun Tzu-
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Interests”