Rusty Bunch Member Number: 933
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: frommydoortoyours
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Antique Store Find R1 Soda Can

Post by crowntainer »

So my fiancee and I stopped by an Antique Mall close to the house to see if anything new had been added to the shelfs. The last isle and I spot a can on a shelf. Upon further inspection it is a Golden Age Root Beer "Super Carbonated" from Houston, Tx. The top is cut out, but I have always liked Golden Age and since the can was from Houston I decided to purchase it. So after we get home I check the 2007 Soda Guide book to discover this is listed as R1, only known in dumper. Upon closer inspection it appears that oddly the can that we bought today could actually be the can pictured in the book. Alteast the humidity spots are in the exact locations. :smt017 Also found this awesome purple crochet trivet! It's gonna be a shame to cut up all that hard work for the cork lined caps that are stitched up inside. :shock: I see these things all the time and it was my fiancee that noticed the caps in this thing were cork lined. Any guesses on what will be hidden?
Attachments
GoldRB.jpg
Look it's a Trivet!
Look it's a Trivet!

dtsoc
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
eBay name: dtsoc
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Antique Store Find R1 Soda Can

Post by dtsoc »

I checked the original picture - it is the same can... How in the world did it end up in an antique mall?????? Very cool can - tough label! Did you ask to see if they had any more cans?
Good luck!
Dave T
I collect one flavor of rare soda can generations. Also publish Collectible Soda Cans - don't hesitate to contact me with cans you have available or questions about old soda cans.
http://www.collectiblesodacans.com
hastabeshasta
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 347
eBay name: hastabeshasta
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by hastabeshasta »

dtsoc wrote:I checked the original picture - it is the same can... How in the world did it end up in an antique mall?????? Very cool can - tough label! Did you ask to see if they had any more cans?
Good luck!
Dave T
Do you know who's can it was? If it was Glen Garfield's I saw that he was selling his collection a while ago on Craigslist. Glen does live in Texas.
Most wanted can finally found!
crowntainer
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 933
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: frommydoortoyours
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by crowntainer »

dtsoc wrote:I checked the original picture - it is the same can... How in the world did it end up in an antique mall?????? Very cool can - tough label! Did you ask to see if they had any more cans?
Good luck!
Dave T
I sure thought it looked like the same can as even some tiny scratches looked to be on the one pictured. The last thing in the world I would expect is to go home only to look in the book and see the actual can I just purchased pictured. What are the odds of that? I figured that it would turn out to be something common when I picked it up. Little did I know it was my lucky day till I got home to look in the book. :smt026 Unfortunetely there were no business cards and the person who has the booth was not present. I will just have to check back again and see if the person who runs the place would be willing to give me contact information. It was the only beer or soda can in entire store besides a Billy can and being a Houston can it did not strick me as being odd for it to end up there at the time.
dtsoc
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
eBay name: dtsoc
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by dtsoc »

It is pretty cool. I do not know who owned the can and I never heard what happened with Glenn's collection.
Maybe someone here has some info...
I collect one flavor of rare soda can generations. Also publish Collectible Soda Cans - don't hesitate to contact me with cans you have available or questions about old soda cans.
http://www.collectiblesodacans.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Soda/Pop Can Collecting”