Rust Master
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 140
BCCA Number: 25774
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:

Afternoon flat rock dumping.

Post by naftaking »

In my neck of the woods, a lot of the land is what is called flatrock. Not a lot of buried dumps in these areas, but once in a while there are mounds that have built up over the years and these can sometimes produce a can or two. A few years back I had found a Holland flat that was still sealed and was in decent shape in such a mound. I had gone looking for blueberries, but was happy with the can find. So now, every so often, I will take a walk on the flat rocks and check a few mounds. Below are a few finds I made on my most recent walk in the Altona Flatrock area. There were lots of tabs and the odd flat, but nothing else much. I don't collect soda cans, but thought this may interest someone. Not a bad Hojo cola tab and a bunch of black labels, the rusty flats were genny red eyes. I didn't spend a lot of time, had other things to do that day, but what a nice way to get some fresh air on a beautiful fall day.
flatrock find
flatrock find

Looking for New York cones. Fitzgeralds, Beverwycks, Etc.
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 122
BCCA Number: 26172
eBay name: cactuscans
Year Started Collecting: 1972
United States of America

Re: Afternoon flat rock dumping.

Post by CMD »

Do you take a metal detector with you????

Dan
Wanted Frederick's cone ,Balboa IRTP by Southern Finer, Flavor ale by Monarch, Little Imp, gold IRTP Finer Flavor by Southern, Lucky Lager OI Withdrawn free, white/gold Imperial from Maier, Tornbergs WF cone,Rainier OD cone,Niborg,Acme 3.2% on side panel, Malt Syrup tins or labels,Uncle Dan's Root beer signs ,I-7 openers needed....BALBOA,UNION, ROGER WILLIAMS ALE
I live rent free in his head!
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 32564
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

Hey tom ive often wondered about digging around altona but have been warned not to go on the reservation.....but where does it begin and end? Also there is a seasonal road just before altona off of the turnpike that ive been meaning to check out, too late now so ill put it on the to hit spot for next year just like that past few years......Cool ho jo cans, never seen those before.
mike
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
naftaking
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 140
BCCA Number: 25774
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:

Post by naftaking »

Dan, no no metal detector. Most of the piles I dug through were on top of the flat rock and cans were all over the mound, just not much with age. In most areas up here the rock contains metals which set off my cheap metal detector. Even practising in the yard can be a rock dig.

Mike, it is true that you will have to watch that you do not enter the reservation. They do not allow visitors. But there are some back roads that are not so close to the indians that may be worth a look. I remember driving one dirt road and finding an old camp in the woods, but it was so long ago that I can only guess where it was. The reservation is mostly to the north of the Altona road, so most land to the south would be safe. Just stay away from the bingo hall area on the south side. Be aware of some of the non indian locals as well. :smt023
Looking for New York cones. Fitzgeralds, Beverwycks, Etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Soda/Pop Can Collecting”