Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
BCCA Number: 30849
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
Burkina Faso

Zip Codes

Post by XCellKen »

I keep hearing the term "Pre Zip Code" concerning soda cans. Exactly when did the post office start using zip codes, and when did they first appear on soda cans?

Ken McCool

THIS IS NOT YOUR FATHER'S BCCA CHAPTER!!!

R U interested in joining a chapter that covers not only collecting related news, but also brewing industry news, jokes, and stories about the oftentimes hilarious, occasionally tragic events in which those who have had one, or two, or ten too many engage, all written with a sick, twisted demented bent???

For more info, or to obtain a FREE sample newsletter, email me at: kenk2260@earthlink.net
Beamer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 800
eBay name: beamer911
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Re: Zip Codes

Post by Beamer »

I think that the USPO stared with zip codes on 1963. No idea on pop cans? :smt017
Soda Can Fan
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 10291
eBay name: oldwun
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:

Re: Zip Codes

Post by Soda Can Fan »

Zip codes were printed on soda cans beginning in 1963, but it took many canners longer than that to comply. You can figure 99% within the 1963-1966 time range. There was actually noncompliance as late as the bar code era as there are a number of Always Good cans with bar codes, but without zip codes.

I view it as a good cut-off to limit the size of my collection. I used to do it based on cone top, flat top, vs. pull tab when I collected beer cans, but with soda cans there are so many of them that are rolled or have the tops cut out that differentiating between lids becomes much less meaningful. It was also common to use old stock lids or cans.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Soda/Pop Can Collecting”