Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 10291
eBay name: oldwun
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:

Some Recently Found Undocumented Cans

Post by Soda Can Fan »

I'm writing a monthly article for the NPCCC Can-O-Gram on newly found undocumented obsolete soda cans. This is sort of keeps in theme with Dave Tanner's posting about one-of-a-kind soda cans, except that these may not necessarily be one a kind. I'd thought I'd share the cans posted to this month's article. Input for future articles would be greatly appreciated and can be posted here or emailed to me at balexcpa1961@yahoo.com.

There are a lot of cans to report this month. I’ll start off by showing some newly discovered generations (or possible generations) of cans:

Nehi N80-25a-Two different cans surfaced in this previously unknown zip code generation within the last month. I picked up the Orange last month. It is a flat top. The Root Beer was (see Dave' posting) recently purchased by Dave Tanner. I believe it is a tab.
Nehi Orange
Nehi Orange
Bon Ton Cola-Not previously identified as different generation. This recently rolled pre-zip Cola can matches the brown Root Beer (B620-1) pictured in Dave’s 2007 Guide. I also found this Black Cherry last year. Collectively, I believe these three cans to part of an earlier generation of Bon Ton’s, coming before the orange colored series.
Bon Ton Cola
Bon Ton Cola
Bon Ton Cherry
Bon Ton Cherry
Donald Duck Cola-This pre-zip can (on the right, next to the more common version) was pictured in last month’s Can-O-Gram and is a very puzzling (at least to me) can. Notice the black colored bill. There is a similar Root Beer can shown in the 2007 guide. Until I acquired this can, I always suspected that the black color had something to do with being exposed to the elements. However, the Cola is an “inside can” without exposure to elements. Could this perhaps be part of a separate generation. It has also been speculated that this was part of design change that was being marketed to African-Americans. Any other thoughts?
Donald Duck Cola
Donald Duck Cola

Now for some of the other new undocumented cans:

Frank’s Diet Cola F580-1A-I recently acquired this rolled pre-zip flat top, which matches 7 other known flavors of this generation. Not many original (unrolled) examples of these cans exists.
Frank's Diet Cola
Frank's Diet Cola
Lawson’s Swing & Lawson’s Chocolate Cola L160-0-I recently obtained these two pre-zip pull tabs, representing two more flavors in this generation. Until recently, there were no documented flavors of pre-zip Lawson’s cans.
Lawson's Swing
Lawson's Swing
Lawson's Chocolate
Lawson's Chocolate
Carnival Cream & Carnival Root Beer-Three sets of these pre-zip code unrolled sheets were recently found. This can was filled by Frank’s and closely matches the more common zip code version.
Carnival Cream Soda
Carnival Cream Soda
Carnival RB
Carnival RB
Cott Ginger Ale-Look closely at this one. This pre-zip juice tab most closely resembles C1160-3, except that it has red lettering at the top.
Cott GA
Cott GA
Gayla Cream Soda-G80-11-This is a new flavor of the pre-zip Gayla cans with the Foodco emblem at the bottom. Interestingly enough, this can has a fully rounded pressure bead on its lid, which is normally seen in 1950’s cans.
Gayla Cream Soda
Gayla Cream Soda
Shasta Quinine Water S420-34-Okay, I know it’s only a Shasta can (right Lance?), but this is one that I’m pretty excited about. It represents perhaps the toughest flavor of the pre-zip Shasta flats, but in a different generation.
Shasta Quinine Water
Shasta Quinine Water
Golden Age Dietetic Ginger Ale G300-2-This pre-zip flat top represents a new flavor in a very elusive can.
Golden Age GA
Golden Age GA
Booth’s Cola & Ginger Ale-These rolled pre-zip flat tops are new flavors in another very tough series of cans.
Booth's Cola
Booth's Cola
Booth's Ginger Ale
Booth's Ginger Ale
Last edited by Soda Can Fan on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rustafarian
Rust Master
Rust Master
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: whatsamata4u
Zodiac:

Re: Some Recently Found Undocumented Finds

Post by Rustafarian »

Nice cans!!
I think your Donald Duck is a misprint
Hooper: "That's a 20 footer!"
Quint: "Twenty-five. Three tons of him, eat a man whole."
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

I noticed you say the Gayla Cream soda has a odd 50's top lid but looking at the pic i see teeth/gear marks under lid. I'm assuming this means lid replaced which could be why it dont look right for can? LEON. :smt017
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
Soda Can Fan
Rust Master
Rust Master
BCCA Number: 10291
eBay name: oldwun
Zodiac:

Post by Soda Can Fan »

Leon,

I was referring to the bottom lid. I just had the top one replaced last week!

On the Donald Duck, it also matches a black billed root beer shown in Dave's guide.
hastabeshasta
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 347
eBay name: hastabeshasta
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by hastabeshasta »

"Shasta Quinine Water S420-34-Okay, I know it’s only a Shasta can (right Lance?), but this is one that I’m pretty excited about. It represents perhaps the toughest flavor of the pre-zip Shasta flats, but in a different generation."

I would say it's a toss up between either the Collins Mixer or the Quinine Water. I would vote for the Collins Mixer since I don't have it and have only seen one available in close to 7 years. I suppose we should mention the Chill and Shake Chocolate can too.
Most wanted can finally found!
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

OK :smt006
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Soda/Pop Can Collecting”