Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 126
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Some additions for Dave's guide

Post by Scott Rollert »

Here are a few variations from my meager soda collection that aren't in Dave Tanner's Soda Can Guide...
No "Imitation" on the label.
No "Imitation" on the label.
DSC00570_2.jpg (99.65 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
Lemon Lime flavor with the first logo design.
Lemon Lime flavor with the first logo design.
DSC00571_2.jpg (78.98 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
My little soda collection is mostly cans I've dug over the years, along with a few trades. When you find nice soda cans when out digging, you just can't leave 'em behind!

The federal tax code is 10 times bigger than the Bible with none of the good news
Brewed in the Heart of the Snowclad Rockies
Looking for Lucky Lager with the date 2-3-58. Will trade heavy for one...
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
eBay name: dtsoc
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Some additions for Dave's guide

Post by dtsoc »

Thanks Scott - That Seven-Eleven can is pretty cool. I have also identified a rootbeer and a cola with the sloped name. I bet it was an earlier generation. It has a zip code doesn't it?

Thanks again!
Dave
I collect one flavor of rare soda can generations. Also publish Collectible Soda Cans - don't hesitate to contact me with cans you have available or questions about old soda cans.
http://www.collectiblesodacans.com
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

It does indeed have a zip code. We also found a Root Beer in the same pit. At the time we had no idea about soda cans and their relative rareness, but when you find them in that condition, you have to bring them home with you. On a completely different note, I'm seriously thinking of opening up a shelf under the Colorado collection for other beverage cans from Colorado. I was cleaning some cans from last weekend and noticed some White Rocks were from Denver. Start looking at other sodas and notice alot were from Colorado, like Can-a-pop, Handi, Shasta, Coke, Pepsi. Even noticed I had a juice tab Pepsi from Pueblo. Seeing things like this keeps the collection moving forward and gives me something new to look for when we're out digging.
The federal tax code is 10 times bigger than the Bible with none of the good news
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by dtsoc »

Hey Scott,
Wow - I didn't realize that! I think you are hitting on the next big evolution in soda. A couple of guys I know are already collecting by state - it will be very interesting to see what comes of this as we really don't know that much about the relative availabilities from the different canners!

Thanks for the note!
Dave
I collect one flavor of rare soda can generations. Also publish Collectible Soda Cans - don't hesitate to contact me with cans you have available or questions about old soda cans.
hastabeshasta
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 347
eBay name: hastabeshasta
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by hastabeshasta »

Along with Shasta cans I have a collection of cans from Minnesota so far I have identified 103 different brands which results in 868 different cans. Early on my intentions were to keep the Minnesota portion of my collection to steel cans, but a friend of mine gave me 6 cases of aluminum cans from Minnesota so I now collect all soda cans that list Minnesota in the bottling information. I did learn the hard way that you need to check the lids as many times the actual canning location will be on one of the lids while the side of the can will show a totally different location.
Most wanted can finally found!
Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use
Year Started Collecting: 1974

Post by Scott »

Where the can was produced is a big deal to us beer can guys. We all like cans from our local area. I loved the soda book but my biggest complaint was that it did not show soda cans from different cities. Case in point, we find Can-O-Pops all the time here in Oregon. Usually they are from Compton, occasionally from Sheridan. I'm talking the paint on the side of the can versus a lid that you can slap on anywhere. Once in awhile we find COP's with Portland painted along the seam which to me is cool because it is home town. Lid variations are easy but some planning goes into getting the city on the can's paint job.

It would be great to have a list of pop cans with the various cities they were produced at as long as they are on the can itself.

Scott
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
hastabeshasta
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 347
eBay name: hastabeshasta
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by hastabeshasta »

I'm not going to get in a argument about the legitamacy of lids with bottling locations on them. For each their own but they are real.

The major difference between soda and beer cans were the massive amounts of small town bottlers of soda. The can companies realized that there was a vast amount lost revenue because these small bottlers couldn't afford canning lines. They solved this problem by setting up regional bottling locations, such as General Beverages in Minnesota. These regional bottlers would can the product for the smaller bottlers. In the beginning these cans only showed the small bottlers location on the can. The government soon stepped in a decided that the actual bottling location must be shown on the can and that is why their are so many lids on soda cans that show a bottling location. Case in point, Jic Jac out of St Louis, their early cans have just the St Louis location printed on the cans, but later version still have St Louis on the can but General Beverages out of Minnesota did the actual canning so their location is printed on the lid.
Most wanted can finally found!
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

As I seriously contemplate adding another shelf for Colorado beverage cans, I believe I'll add cans that have the city name on the lid. So far I've got Coke and a 1st gen. 7-Up that are from Denver. Most others are on the can itself. If you read this Dave, I'll start a composite list of the CO sodas I've got.
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by dtsoc »

Hey Scott,
Thanks - I think this is the next big evolution step for soda can collecting.
To this point, I have only attempted to identify cans produced in only one city - those are the only ones listed in the guide.
Not sure how I am going to do the next step - listing multiple cities without trying to picture all of the different cans - knowing full well that all flavors were not necessarily produced in all cities...
Any thoughts?
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

Maybe something like a companion reference to the guide. A state by state list of the cities and what brands/flavors have been positively identified as from that city/state. For example, a Hires Root Beer I have from Pueblo, CO.

Colorado-Pueblo- Hires Root Beer #70 H500-1
Pepsi P/T #93 P400-3

Verification would be a little tricky. Some people aren't always honest.
Rust Master
BCCA Number: 10291
eBay name: oldwun
Zodiac:

Post by Soda Can Fan »

Scott,

Can i use your pics for an upcoming issue of the Can-O-Gram?

Brent
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Soda/Pop Can Collecting”