Forum Moderator
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1078
Year Started Collecting: 1987
Zodiac:
Canada

Is this the rarest?

Post by Canadacan »

I did a ton of research regarding Cragmont when I did up the archive and I knew there was 12oz cans, but I could not confirm if they were US made or not because the 1960 advertisements showed a can with the Safeway logo on front.
Well today I can confirm that indeed Cragmont came in 12oz cans made in Canada....this is the very first can to be officially documented, details are as follows....

Cragmont Lemon Lime Soda
Contents 12 fluid Ounces
Distributed by Macdonalds Consolidated Limited
Supply division - Vancouver BC

There is no printing on the seam or lid.

Can from American Can Co. of Canada...I can't get a plant ID but believe it's probably 31A

Here is the intersting part...the cans were exclusivly canned by Shasta Beverages ltd. Vancouver BC, in fact all Cragmont prouducts were canned by Shasta in the USA and Canada.....this is new information that came to me exclusivly from the son of the president of Shasta Bev. ltd. Vancouver....I have so much information from him it's almost unbelieavable!

12oz cans were used up till 1964 in western Canada, and the only product that came in that size of a flat top were Shasta and Cragmont. I still find it odd that the ads showed the American style can with the Safeway logo on front, but it was indicated to me that they may have imported USA 12oz cans for Cragmont just like they did for Shasta and canned them in Vancouver. Safeway was on board with Shasta a an early stage and wanted in on the distribution of their products in cans

20171212_222601.jpg

Cragmont-The Chilliwack Progress 7 Jun 1960 Tue
Cragmont-The Chilliwack Progress 7 Jun 1960 Tue.jpg

canadian_grocery circa 1961-63.jpg

Ivan... RB #1078 Collector of soda cans & bottles from Canada. Looking for Canadian soada cans 12oz & 10oz From the 1950s right into the 80s.
Also Canadian Beers ,USA Orange Crush bottles And American Drewrys beer cans.

Return to “Soda/Pop Can Collecting”