Various conetops

questions and answers on look-a-like cans in the USBC.

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

eric
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Answers: 0

Various conetops

Post by eric »

I looked through the usbc at the conetops where I had a question and came up with the following. I have added some possible differences but if anyone has anything more definitive please add your 2 cents. Also where there are slight color changes, I would be interested if they are associated with a change in canning company or not.

Beverwyck 151-28 and 151-29

Duquesne 159-28 and 159-29 The second can is listed as non-irtp, but the can shown is irtp. So is there a non-irtp?

Koenig Brau 171-28 and 171-29 Possibly #28 has green hops and #29 has black hops?

Milwaukee Club 174-1 and 174-2 and 174-3 These are a mystery to me. When I look in the book, #3 appears to be more reddish-brown and is listed as non-irtp, which I assume is a mistake in the book. When I look in the supplement, the same three cans are pictured in order, but the second can looks more reddish-brown than the other two, and the #3 can is updated to irtp. In the supplement the #1 can does not have "Brewed and Packaged by", while the #2 can does, but that is not a front-label variation.

Mineral Spring 174-4 and 174-5. Looks like some subtle color differences, and in the supplement #4 is ccc while #5 is crown. Are these color differences consistent to the different can companies?

Old Bohemia 175-29 and 175-30

Yuengling 189-26 and 189-27 The gold on #27 appears to be a little more yellowish in the supplement, is that the only difference?

Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Various conetops

Post by Conehead »

Excellent questions Eric. I'll put my .02 in with pictures as time allows.

I'll make a separate post for each set of cans.

Jim
I shall leave no cone unturned!!
rusteditor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 18
BCCA Number: 16085
eBay name: rusteditor
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rusteditor »

Good post Eric. I'll add my two cents to what Jim has not already addressed and I have some knowledge of.

Mineral Spring - the subtle color differences hold true for the Continental and Crown versions I have.

Milwaukee Club - thanks for pointing out the change in 174-3 to IRTP. Even so, 174-1, 2 and 3 have always posed a challenge for my somewhat color blind eyes. As to "Brewed And Packaged By", notwithstanding the color distinctions of 174-1, 2 and 3, here are the variations I have:
Brewed And Packaged By, no distributor
Brewed And Packaged By, Distributor Mt Vernon, NY
No Brewed And Packaged By, no distributor
No Brewed And Packaged By, Distributor NY, NY

Old Bohemia - I believe the difference is the color of the word Beer (white vs cream). While 175-29 doesn't look pure white, both in the USBC and Supplement 175-29 appears slightly lighter than 175-30. That's my best guess.

Phil
eric
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eric »

Thanks Jim and Phil for venturing out of "General Discussion" to this lonely forum and answering my questions about similar cones pictured in the USBC.

I am wondering if you or anyone else has other cones where the difference is not obvious in the book. I only included the ones where I had a can that I didn't know where to mark in my book, but there are probably other look-a-likes that I don't have either can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “What's the Difference ?”